#11 Oregon @ #4 Ohio State (Sept. 11 Sat 9 AM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Oregon @ Ohio State Noon EST kick off (Fox)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duckfan96 wrote:Living in Tn 1 game early for you guys on west coast makes up for all the late games. I’m fine with the start time
If I had to choose between 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM PST, I'd choose 9:00, but to me it's still far from primetime.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Anybody think I have a chance of getting tickets for under $200? That'll probably be the breaking point for the buddies I usually go with.
I'd rather watch us lose from home. Plus, covid.
We're not going to lose. Ducks will beat Ohio State.
Our OL will be the worst we've had in a while. Our run game is still MEH, and without a strong OL we won't get a ground game going. Anthony Brown is good, but makes mistakes. A couple will hurt us. And with no run game, a lot of the load will fall on him.

Unless our D forces 5+ turnovers and has the best game of the year, I'd bet against us pretty strongly. If this our Herbert squad or Mariota squad, I'd be singing a different tune.
Actually, our O-Line should be much improved. Sewell sat out last year and we had all new starters then. We'll be much improved as long as Brown doesn't beat us with his mistakes.

Also, Ohio State lost quite a bit if experience last year, including QB.

I think we have a great chance. It could also be a Rose Bowl preview.
John 3:36
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Sorry last year was a weird year, I was referring to our lines with Herbert and before that.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

These game times are like death nails for west coast teams traditionally, the splits on them are insane.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pudgejeff wrote:These game times are like death nails for west coast teams traditionally, the splits on them are insane.
The only time a Road team is ever in a distinct disadvantage in an NFL game is the 10AM eastern Kickoff for West Coast teams. It's so bad that the League could easily make all of those games in the 1PM slot and it'd go away.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Duck07 wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:These game times are like death nails for west coast teams traditionally, the splits on them are insane.
The only time a Road team is ever in a distinct disadvantage in an NFL game is the 10AM eastern Kickoff for West Coast teams. It's so bad that the League could easily make all of those games in the 1PM slot and it'd go away.
Ya I can't recall the exact numbers but it was pretty surprising when I saw it the first time. It's recognized even to the point that betting lines have had to adjust the spread in those games because the west coast teams have consistently performed below their expectations ATS.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

We split two games with Oklahoma.

We split two games with Michigan State.

We split two games with Wisconsin (during the regular season)

We beat Michigan twice.

I don't see how a home and home series against a good Power-5 conference school is ever a death "knell".

What has been a problem is playing those "neutral" games at Jerry world. I think it's a major disadvantage for the Ducks.

Home and home, not so much.

Honestly, we should appreciate the opportunities these games present. It's national TV against a likely Top-5 opponent. Most people already expect us to lose, so even losing a close game on the road would still be a win for recruiting.

What I don't like are the ramifications of losing a game like this. It leaves the loser no choice but to get through their conference unbeaten, and in this day of more parity, that's hard to do.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

SuperDuck wrote:

We beat Michigan twice.

I don't see how a home and home series against a good Power-5 conference school is ever a death "knell".

What has been a problem is playing those "neutral" games at Jerry world. I think it's a major disadvantage for the Ducks.

Honestly, we should appreciate the opportunities these games present. It's national TV against a likely Top-5 opponent. Most people already expect us to lose, so even losing a close game on the road would still be a win for recruiting.

What I don't like are the ramifications of losing a game like this. It leaves the loser no choice but to get through their conference unbeaten, and in this day of more parity, that's hard to do.
The point was specifically and only about the time. So I'm not sure what the rest was other than to correct nail to knell, which I actually do appreciate, I always mess that one up for some reason. Just googled it and now that I've read the origin of it, should be good now, thanks!
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

Oregon should be returning everyone of significant consequence except Lenoir (and maybe to a lesser extent the veteran combo on the DL). Ducks add a big one back in the return of Flowe.

We didn't see a ton of AB, but one thing he did appear to show on tape prior to Oregon, that he also showed at Oregon (coming in as a transfer off an injury without a ton of preseason, and then after not playing all year, getting thrown into the middle of a close P-12 Championship games, and then again in a New Year's bowl game), is comfort, poise, and just confidence throwing out of the pocket.

Sort of an "anti-Shough". As long as the game doesn't go South early, I expect Oregon to be solid at that key spot. TOSU has a bunch of highly rated young guys competing for that spot, but it's still going to be an early start in a big spot for a young guy.

Ditto with a lot of the young guys tOSU is moving into starting spots. Guy going to be great for sure by the end of the season. Game two - in a game that's going to be hyped as a big one?

Probable rFR QB, I think RB Teague (the Jr) is expected to start, though in 24 games I think he has only went over 15 carries 3 times (meaning if he beats out the incoming 5 star RB recruit, it's still a somewhat new role - though certainly talented), loaded at WR, I don't think they use the TE a ton, and I guess very good OTs; but, at least according to reports, a reshuffled interior OL.

Pretty loaded on the DL, though maybe some shuffling in the interior (some tOSU fans seem to express this area as a big or biggest concern). While experienced, I've read some tOSU fans express concern as well about their LBs (and their first chase after TooToo long after he appeared way gone and now over ex-USC LB Gaoteone - seems to possibly confirmed to some degree); and, of course, the secondary, which is being reshuffled and even possibly reformatted after Alabama (again it looks like some guys who are rated high, and have played some, but will be sort of newish as starters).

I don't know that much about tOSU and some of that might be off; but, I will cling a bit to a lot of new guys coming in and just catching them EARLY in the year. I mean, if we pull an Iowa State again, of course we get rolled. Though sometimes in college football a big game like this circled early in the season (sometimes) leads to better off season prep, and possibly less a chance of laying a huge egg.

Also, regardless of what happened with the Shough situation, I would have to think Moorehead has to be more comfortable opening it up a bit against tOSU. There may be some wrinkles which didn't make it into Duck tape in 2020. Finally, DeRuyter is a guy who has been around.

Normally I suggest we would probably expect to see a bunch of "bend-but-don't-break" and hope for some mistakes and an early lead. At least from his Cal days, Cal didn't seem to regularly approach opponents that way, even when possibly overmatched on paper. We might see a Duck D not afraid to go after some of the tOSU youth...
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pudgejeff wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

We beat Michigan twice.

The point was specifically and only about the time. So I'm not sure what the rest was other than to correct nail to knell, which I actually do appreciate, I always mess that one up for some reason. Just googled it and now that I've read the origin of it, should be good now, thanks!

It's all good. Definitely no offense intended.

I was looking at how the Ducks playing other strong Power-5 schools can be either very good, or it can put a ton of pressure on them because they'd no margin for error the rest of the season.

We could do what Baylor used to do and play an all non-conference schedule of cupcakes, but that would hurt our SOS, so we have to put ourselves out there.

I just can't help but see it as a winnable game.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I also agree we have a chance of finally beating the Buckeyes, especially since tOSU lost various of their players, this also brings me the question about why people still believe teams like Clemson or Ohio State will still make the playoffs, even tho they lost their greatest players.

I definitely don't see Clemson making the playoffs especially due to that Georgia game, meanwhile, if we beat tOSU, we may have a chance
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I think we probably lose by double digits because we cannot stop their running game. We'll hang around for while.

At the very least, we won't get embarrassingly outcoached like Helfie/Pellum did!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote:I think we probably lose by double digits because we cannot stop their running game. We'll hang around for while.

At the very least, we won't get embarrassingly outcoached like Helfie/Pellum did!
If we go in healthy and lose, I completely agree with you that this would be the reason.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Here's Ohio State's condensed Spring game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04WW9xjKYg

Olave and their WR group are ..well...I'm worried for our young secondary if they get competent QB play.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote:Here's Ohio State's condensed Spring game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04WW9xjKYg

Olave and their WR group are ..well...I'm worried for our young secondary if they get competent QB play.
I think about how Clemson's receivers have been absurd in recent years. How has Alabama beat them? Score more points.