#11 Oregon @ #4 Ohio State (Sept. 11 Sat 9 AM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Ohio State (Sept. 11 Sat 9 AM FOX)

Post by DuckzRule »

I tend to be optimistic about this game at times and other times not, I believe we could definitely pull the upset but looking at Ohio State's past history, it could repeat itself.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Also I dunno if selecting Anthony Brown as our QB for this game (even tho we open up against Fresno State) was a good idea.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Seems pretty clear who the team, and especially Robby Ashford, thinks is QB1.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/ore ... rown-world
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

DuckzRule wrote:Also I dunno if selecting Anthony Brown as our QB for this game (even tho we open up against Fresno State) was a good idea.
And please enlighten everyone who else would be better in this situation lol
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I've been on the AB train since last fall, and I just really am surprised with the general low (to nearly non-existent) expectations for AB. I think he is gonna surprise some people; and, in terms of UO/OSU, I think AB's a reasonably notable advantage over whichever tOSU QB is picked to take on their second (or first) career start (regardless of "stars").

I guess time will tell if I'm clueless or not. Did a bit of reading on tOSU's opening practice, and, while talented, there seems to be a lot of guys moving into newish rolls. Other than maybe one DL spot, and that second CB spot, where exactly does Oregon have a lot of huge questions/new guys?

I was catching up on this tread, and thought of another reason/factor for the Ducks. How about: we are freakin' ready to steal one of these games?

We are due. Sometimes in sports such things happen and everyone scratches their head exactly how or why. We are absolutely due, and I think having the game circled for MONTHS is the kind of thing that can focus a team.

I struggle to find an opinion in Ohio/among tOSU fans that isn't expecting a pretty comfortable win. With both teams in the 50+% blue chip ratio, a consensus of a comfortable blow out is interesting for those considering the other side. I don't watch a ton of tOSU, but watched a lot of the Indiana game last year AT tOSU, and IU didn't exactly have a bunch of breaks, and absolutely played with them. We might not be a Clemson or Alabama as a program ( currently), but have come a long ways since 1990.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

When you've never lost to a team and already have a generally arrogant fan base, you can see why their expectations are what they are.

We need to go prove it, especially in the trenches.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I saw an article saying the Buckeyes are focusing a lot of their practice in us, which probably we are gonna do as well, but both teams shoudn't overlook Fresno State and Minnesota.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... edule.html
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

This will be irrelevant, but someone is trying to give away $500 in case Oregon beats Ohio State in Twitter.

Anyways back on topic, I can't believe how overrated Ohio State and Clemson are this year, especially the later, they lost a lot of their talent and they won't be as good as last year.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

StevensTechU wrote:Seems pretty clear who the team, and especially Robby Ashford, thinks is QB1.

Butterfield is also vocal about AB being QB1. It seems the stickier issue will be the decision of who is QB2.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

RanDux wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Seems pretty clear who the team, and especially Robby Ashford, thinks is QB1.

Butterfield is also vocal about AB being QB1. It seems the stickier issue will be the decision of who is QB2.
I'm really not looking forward to 2022 for this reason. Butterfield seems to have a clear ceiling to me on top of being a bad fit for the offense. It feels like the fate of 2022 rests on how much Thompson or Ashford develops, and in either case, I would expect them to make mistakes in year 1 that will result in at least 3-4 losses.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm really not looking forward to 2022 for this reason. Butterfield seems to have a clear ceiling to me on top of being a bad fit for the offense. It feels like the fate of 2022 rests on how much Thompson or Ashford develops, and in either case, I would expect them to make mistakes in year 1 that will result in at least 3-4 losses.
Let's hope MC takes advantage of opportunities to get them on the field this year. I'm really hoping Thompson kicks butt in practice and gets some fourth-quarter reps this season.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I won't be surprised if we end up losing in a way similar to the 2010 Rose Bowl or 2015 natty, but it should inexcusable considering we have more talent than the Buckeyes right now (who lost their star player), but I have a feeling we'll lose.

Luckily for us, Ohio State's QB will be playing just it's second game, imagine if Minnesota also upsets them, also, Ohio Stadium doesn't give as much advantage as Autzen Stadium, Oklahoma and Virginia Tech have beaten Ohio State in the Shoe.

The last regular season game between us and the Buckeyes was in 1987 and it was somewhat close (24-14), and that 1987 team is nothing compared to this 2021 team, but that also applies to the Buckeyes, that Buckeye team was mediocre.

If we win, we'll finally rest in peace knowing we broke a losing streak, but if we lose, we'll have two more chances in 2032 and 2033.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

DuckzRule wrote:I won't be surprised if we end up losing in a way similar to the 2010 Rose Bowl or 2015 natty, but it should inexcusable considering we have more talent than the Buckeyes right now (who lost their star player), but I have a feeling we'll lose.
The Buckeyes have finished 2nd, 5th, 14th (due to small class; they still had a top 5 average rating), and 2nd in the last four recruiting class rankings. Unfortunately, tOSU doesn't have a single star player, they have a bunch of them.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

This game is exactly the definition of 50/50, we are gonna need a bit of luck and mistakes from part of tOSU to win, the fact the game will be at noon won't help.

Also I'm feeling a bit disappointed that the game won't probably be featured in College GameDay since it's on Fox, last year's game could have been CGD since it was gonna be in Eugene, but this one is in Columbus and the B1G has an agreement with Fox.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

Not too familiar with Fresno State, but a quick look at their preview shows, if there is going to be Duck issues in the secondary, with the pass rush (or in stopping the run), Fresno State appears to have a skill set group which will make the issues apparent, even if the Ducks win reasonably (as expected).

Jake Haener, the former Husky, finished the season as the Mountain West's leading passer (337 yards per game and Fresno State finished 5th in the nation in total passing), their top 3 WRs, Jalen Cropper (2nd team All-MWC in the two pre-season polls I saw with 445 yards receiving in Fresno State's last 3 games), and two other returning WR starters in Kenric Wheatfall and Josh Kelly (both over 6-2 with 15+ ypc), and a experienced RB in Ronnie Rivers, who apparently is considered among the top in the conference (and a potential NFL guy). They also add in 6-4 UW WR transfer Ty Jones.

I guess the OL as a whole is a question, and overall nationally Athlon at had them ranked 70th (and CFN put their expected wins at 6.5).

I guess the discussion question, if anyone wants to take it on, are what are the expectations for shutting down Fresno State in the opener which would lead to a positive sign heading into tOSU and/or what would be a huge cause for concern?