Way too early projections for the 2021 season.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Way too early projections for the 2021 season.

Post by DuckzRule »

Since apparently the season begins in about 100 days, I wanted to discuss our possible results for the complete season.

Our schedule is as folows:

Fresno State
Ohio State
Stony Brook
Arizona
Stanford
OFF
California
UCLA
Colorado
Washington
Washington State
Utah
Oregon State

In my opinion, our biggest threats are Ohio State and Washington, alongside whoever we face in the Pac-12 Championship Game (I predict we will win the North Division again).

If we are good enough, we win the conference for a third straight year and go to the Rose Bowl (very probably against the Big Ten runner-up) or, if we go 11-1 and then win the conference, the playoffs (either Orange Bowl or Cotton Bowl, albeit it's highly unlikely we get to the playoffs this year)
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Way too early projections for the 2021 season.

Post by GrantDuck »

So hard to say. These seasons where the "talent" is younger where there's established vets can always be tricky.

How many reps is a guy like Troy Franklin getting over the older guys? How do they take it as a team if they get less playing time. Flowe/Sewell are gonna make a TON of plays, but they're also still going to be making mistakes.

Anyway, that thought aside, 9-3 seems about right for us this year. QB play and injuries can swing it..I'd say a range of 8-11 wins. Losses to Ohio State and probably 2 of the road games between UCLA, Stanford, UW, and Utah.

2022 and 2023 should be BIG years for us though. I'm confident in Ty Thompson long term and those big time recruiting classes in 2020 and 2021 will all have 2-3 years in the program.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I'm sure that we will barely get to at least 9 or 10 wins
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I'm going green and yellow glasses and say 11-1 with the one being a flier being an unrated team.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'm optimistic about our Defense and having guys who tilt the ledger in our favor in a big way. I agree with 11-1 but I don't think it will be to an unranked team nor to the Buckeyes.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

In case we do go 11-1, I dunno which team we will lose to, maybe a random Pac-12 team or the Buckeyes.

I'm still confident we'll get to the Rose Bowl against the Big 10 runner-up (aka the West Division champion because the East Division is Ohio State's property and may go the playoffs again), even tho going 11-1 and then winning our conference would most likely mean playoffs, but it's highly unlikely.

My projected record is 10-2, with 9-3 being worst possible and 11-1 being best possible.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

11-1, loss to Stony Brook.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Man, everyone is confident we'll beat Ohio State, I'm hopeful for that too
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:So hard to say. These seasons where the "talent" is younger where there's established vets can always be tricky.

How many reps is a guy like Troy Franklin getting over the older guys? How do they take it as a team if they get less playing time. Flowe/Sewell are gonna make a TON of plays, but they're also still going to be making mistakes.

Anyway, that thought aside, 9-3 seems about right for us this year. QB play and injuries can swing it..I'd say a range of 8-11 wins. Losses to Ohio State and probably 2 of the road games between UCLA, Stanford, UW, and Utah.

2022 and 2023 should be BIG years for us though. I'm confident in Ty Thompson long term and those big time recruiting classes in 2020 and 2021 will all have 2-3 years in the program.
These are my thoughts, as well. The only two games that worry me are Ohio State, though I think we'll win. UW, Stanford and Utah aren't what they were a couple years ago. The UCLA game stands out to me. Call it "Chip's revenge".
John 3:36
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Since we currently believe we may beat Ohio State, which is the team we will eventually blow the game against with.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Stanford is our Kryptonite.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

11-3 Best case with Pac-North title and 3peat in PTCG and win in bowl game.

My gut tells me 10-4 with loss in PTCG and win in a Bowl game

Worst Case 7-5 and loss in a bowl game, and the gnashing of teeth starts...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

This to me feels like a season where Mario has to show he can coach and win games and that means winning big games on the road and taking care of the home field.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

My expectation is 8-4 and getting to the Pac 12 championship would depend on who the Ducks lose to. My hope is for better.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

8-4 would land us at about 3rd in the north, and people grumbling for Mario’s job.

I think we got 10-2. Losing to tOSU and UCLA