Way too early projections for the 2021 season.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Re: Way too early projections for the 2021 season.

Post by DuckzRule »

My very final bold projection before this thread goes irrevelant: We run the table in the Pac-12 and if we beat Ohio State, we will have a legit chance to make the semifinals and the national championship (winning it will be very unlikely tho), but for now, I'll stick with either 10-2 or 11-1 and an appearence in the Rose Bowl (but not against Wisconsin).
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckzRule wrote:We're now nearly 1 month away from our first game against Fresno State, shall we make a thread out of it?

At least that will be an easy first game unlike the canceled NDSU game from last year.

Fresno would have beaten NDSU last year. The bison aren’t even a jv team. The way they talked all off-season, I think we would have won by 35. The players seemed genuinely sick of hearing from their fans on social media.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

My gut feeling is 8-3 with one game cancelled for Covid. My optimistic view is 10-2.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

spacefrog13x wrote:My gut feeling is 8-3 with one game cancelled for Covid. My optimistic view is 10-2.

Why canceled? Unless Brown is trying to kill football at WOU, PSU, EOU and SOU.

I see a L to tOSU, but closer than people expect. Possible L at Utah, if the usual 1 game of lack of focus that Mario’s teams have shown, rears it’s head.

Hot take - Brown has a break out year, similar to what we have seen from other Sr QB transfers. I’ll say 3500+ yds, 32 TS and 8 INT.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

buckmarkduck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:We're now nearly 1 month away from our first game against Fresno State, shall we make a thread out of it?

At least that will be an easy first game unlike the canceled NDSU game from last year.

Fresno would have beaten NDSU last year. The bison aren’t even a jv team. The way they talked all off-season, I think we would have won by 35. The players seemed genuinely sick of hearing from their fans on social media.
I remembered how toxic Bison fans were prior to the (before being cancelled) game, I believe NDSU has one of the most toxic fanbases in CFB and they literally thought they were gonna pull a "2007 App State vs Michigan" on Oregon, I mean, NDSU did beat FBS schools like Iowa before, but last year's team was a disaster (Oregon was as well tho), and Oregon would blow Iowa out of the water too, I'm sure we would have beaten NDSU by a huge margin.

I will firmly believe we'll still beat the crap out of the Bison in the 2028 game, you're right, NDSU would've been an easy game now that I think of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if Trey Lance (and the rest of the team and the coach) despised his own team's fanbase.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Does anyone know whether COVID protocols have changed among NCAA athletes? Or is that a conference/school decision?

I'd like to think that all players and coaches are smart enough to get vaccinated -- they have far more on the line than most of us do -- but I could potentially see a large enough outbreak happening on a team that perhaps games are cancelled, especially with Delta. Hopefully, that's someplace else and not with the Ducks.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:Does anyone know whether COVID protocols have changed among NCAA athletes? Or is that a conference/school decision?

I'd like to think that all players and coaches are smart enough to get vaccinated -- they have far more on the line than most of us do -- but I could potentially see a large enough outbreak happening on a team that perhaps games are cancelled, especially with Delta. Hopefully, that's someplace else and not with the Ducks.
Fortunately a "Case" and being "Sick" are 2 entirely different things and there aren't massive deaths with Delta (or the new Eta strain in Korea).

Asymptomatic Cases shouldn't be scaring anyone except those who profit in fear, which happens to be the news media. Viruses don't evolve to get stronger, they get weaker in order to live which is what we've continued to see from this.

WSU and their HC Rolovich are going through this specific issue right now in that Rolo has stated he won't be getting vaccinated at all and will go through whatever hoops the school sets in place. (The school stated though that all employees were required to be vaxxed).
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

minor correction. Viruses tend to get weaker and I hope that is the case but a mutation can go either way.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Asymptomatic Cases shouldn't be scaring anyone except those who profit in fear, which happens to be the news media. Viruses don't evolve to get stronger, they get weaker in order to live which is what we've continued to see from this.
Not really interested in who's afraid of masks or vaccines or COVID or whatnot. I'm asking if the University still has COVID protocols that could result in forfeits if there's an outbreak on the team.

I hadn't even thought about this topic until it was mentioned by someone else in the thread... but it's a valid point and I'd feel much better with some clarity! I haven't seen this addressed from the media day notes. I did see regarding either Zona or ASU that most of their players were vaccinated (all but a few), and if that's the norm then it's almost certainly a non-issue.
minor correction. Viruses tend to get weaker and I hope that is the case but a mutation can go either way.
Yes, thank goodness for mutation trends, right? I'm actually less worried about our long-term outlook because both vaccine-induced and natural immunity appear to be pretty solid, and reinfections with severe symptoms aren't really a thing. Eventually, we'll reach a point when COVID really is like the cold or flu simply because everyone will have some degree of protection and babies will be able to get vaccinated. Just need to get through the next six-ish months until vaccines are available for everyone.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:Does anyone know whether COVID protocols have changed among NCAA athletes? Or is that a conference/school decision?

Dude you’re relentless with your subtle politics. Just ask if anyone knows about COVID protocols, don’t say you’d like to think they are “smart enough” to get vaccinated. Also, it just feels like you’re always trying to bait someone into a political reply that ends up hijacking the thread.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I literally don't see any politics in his post. Need to chill out, OF4L.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I don't care if you can see it literally or figuratively, OF4L's observation is spot on. Pez posts like a religious zealot. I've met Mormon missionaries who were less obvious.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

don’t say you’d like to think they are “smart enough” to get vaccinated.
What I mean by this is these guys have a limited number of games in their collegiate careers, and some stand to make big money. One one think the vast majority of them would ignore all the political bickering and get vaccinated.

Regular people like you and me can hem and haw and debate our reasons/feelings/whatever (and I'm not going to do that here), but these guys have some serious skin in the game and it seems unlikely they'd want to risk being sidelined.

I've been making a real effort lately to keep politics out of this forum and be as sensitive as possible when I do discuss it -- and I do a pretty good job of ignoring the passive-aggressive right-wing comments that frequently appear with no backlash -- but I'm also not going to constantly walk on eggshells in fear of offending people over common-sense comments. Some of you just need to chill.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

https://health.uoregon.edu/immunization-requirements, I checked the Covid 19 policies for the entire Pac 12. Every school beside the Arizona schools and Utah is requiring all students with a few exemptions to be vaccinated. If any schools are at risk of an outbreak, it will be those 3. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sporti ... iiwxn9s32s

This legit makes my feathers ruffle (I'm not a bird), but why USC? I believe we have everything in order to given them
back-to-back losses in the Conference Championship.

I hate USC more than the Huskies, but if the Huskies were in the South I would hate both equally