Interesting comment from Shough

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Interesting comment from Shough

Post by lmduck »

‘It’s easy to pass the blame, but I could have done something different,” Shough said. “I could have handled a lot of stuff better. I could have played better. I could have done a lot of stuff better. Me and (offensive coordinator Joe) Moorhead didn’t have the best relationship, but he’s a great coach and I liked him as a coach. At the end of the day I got to be better; but I’m thankful for all the stuff that I learned there and that’s helped me so far going into Texas Tech.”

Taken from an article in today’s Oregonian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Interesting comment from Shough

Post by squintsdd »

lmduck wrote:‘It’s easy to pass the blame, but I could have done something different,” Shough said. “I could have handled a lot of stuff better. I could have played better. I could have done a lot of stuff better. Me and (offensive coordinator Joe) Moorhead didn’t have the best relationship, but he’s a great coach and I liked him as a coach. At the end of the day I got to be better; but I’m thankful for all the stuff that I learned there and that’s helped me so far going into Texas Tech.”

Taken from an article in today’s Oregonian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind of reads like there was more to his benching besides just declining performance.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I've always liked Tyler Shough the person and that's a hard thing for any young man to say but it does show the kind of person he is.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

squintsdd wrote:
Kind of reads like there was more to his benching besides just declining performance.
Or that his performance-related benching caused a rift.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Yeah, I wouldn't expect him to say, "Going from starter to platooning with the grad transfer they brought in helped me forge a closer relationship with the OC".
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I actually would have thought the opposite though. Brown didn't really get a fair chance to compete (maybe due to his knee injury) and Shough was handed the reins more than earned it seemed like.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I actually would have thought the opposite though. Brown didn't really get a fair chance to compete (maybe due to his knee injury) and Shough was handed the reins more than earned it seemed like.
Shough was obviously going to take over the reins because there was a lot of garbage time in Herbert's senior season and he dominated garbage time like no quarterback Oregon has ever had. Bennett also played great in garbage time. The thing is garbage time wasn't easy for Locke and he started the next season. Shough might have out played Herbert in the USC because I remember it was like a 20 point lead when Shough went in there and it ended up being a 40 point win. It looked promising at the start but I guess him and Moorhead didn't get along.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I actually would have thought the opposite though. Brown didn't really get a fair chance to compete (maybe due to his knee injury) and Shough was handed the reins more than earned it seemed like.
Shough was obviously going to take over the reins because there was a lot of garbage time in Herbert's senior season and he dominated garbage time like no quarterback Oregon has ever had. Bennett also played great in garbage time. The thing is garbage time wasn't easy for Locke and he started the next season. Shough might have out played Herbert in the USC because I remember it was like a 20 point lead when Shough went in there and it ended up being a 40 point win. It looked promising at the start but I guess him and Moorhead didn't get along.
The way I remember it, most were upset we played Herbert as much as we did late in some games but I don't recall anyone holding that opinion of his game ever. The consensus as I recall was that we didn't play the backups enough knowing that Herbert was going to graduate.

You can't honestly say that about the USC game in which Shough went 2/3 passing. He didn't even start the drive, he came in once they got to midfield when the score was already 49-17.

Here's the play chart from that game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... /401114198
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
The way I remember it, most were upset we played Herbert as much as we did late in some games but I don't recall anyone holding that opinion of his game ever. The consensus as I recall was that we didn't play the backups enough knowing that Herbert was going to graduate.

You can't honestly say that about the USC game in which Shough went 2/3 passing. He didn't even start the drive, he came in once they got to midfield when the score was already 49-17.

Here's the play chart from that game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... /401114198
The thing is I've talked to you before and you're a huge Herbert fan and you also seemed to dislike Shough. Up until the Washington game Herbert struggled in the 4th quarter so it was important to keep him in there. I do remember the Duck fans criticizing it but Herbert needed some 4th quarter confidence. However there was a lot of garbage time that year and Shough always played well. Shough and Bennett always extended the lead while I remember Locke let teams comeback a little. I will admit I misremembered the USC game. I remember Herbert struggled in the first half but then got hot in the second half but I thought that Shough played more than that but still he lead them to a touch down drive so he did look good in that moment.