Fall camp

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Fall camp

Post by Quietduck »

I can't wait for fall camp to start. At least then there will be actual news of what is happening. I'm tired of all the guessing (including my own) about what kind of team we will have. Anyone else ready for some football?
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Fall camp

Post by GrantDuck »

Excited too.

Excited to see all the weapons on offense.

Worried about the defense. Lots of talent, very little experience and could not stop the run last year.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Defense: Could not stop the run or did not stop the run. Since we know a lot of players were out due to Covid does that factor in??? I don't know but we will find out.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Maybe it's my negaduck coming out, but I feel like this may be a disappointing season.

Oregon lives and dies by QB play. And our run game hasn't been special for a few years now. So unless AB is amazing, I think we may have 3-4 loss season.

With that being said, yes come quickly fall camp haha! Football is always a fun season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Maybe it's my negaduck coming out, but I feel like this may be a disappointing season.

Oregon lives and dies by QB play. And our run game hasn't been special for a few years now. So unless AB is amazing, I think we may have 3-4 loss season.

With that being said, yes come quickly fall camp haha! Football is always a fun season.
I tend to agree. I think we are at a similar level as we were in 2019. We lost close games to Auburn and to ASU that we should have won, but beat: UW, WSU and Wisconsin when we arguably got outplayed in each of those game. I think we will have 3-4 close games and just a matter of pulling those out.

Last year, Shough was just awful in clutch moments / 4th quarter but if we can just be steady and consistent, we should still be able to pull off 10-2 with an Ohio St loss and one crappy performance outside of that game. Another Rose Bowl trip would be satisfactory for me. I still don't think we have a playoff caliber squad top to bottom.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If Oregon loses 3-4 games this year then does fan perspective of Mario change at all? He’s bringing in top recruiting classes, at what point do we expect those highly rated classes to produce on the field? Or does he and other coaches get a pass cause covid ruined last year?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:If Oregon loses 3-4 games this year then does fan perspective of Mario change at all? He’s bringing in top recruiting classes, at what point do we expect those highly rated classes to produce on the field? Or does he and other coaches get a pass cause covid ruined last year?
Not for me. This is the one off year. I think next year and the year after that will be the metric to judge Mario on. If by two years we aren't in the Pac-12 title game with only 1 or 2 losses, I'd be bummed out.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

OregonFan4Life wrote:If Oregon loses 3-4 games this year then does fan perspective of Mario change at all? He’s bringing in top recruiting classes, at what point do we expect those highly rated classes to produce on the field? Or does he and other coaches get a pass cause covid ruined last year?
Really depends how we play. We don't need to be a contender this year, but I want to feel like we're on the verge.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Maybe it's my negaduck coming out, but I feel like this may be a disappointing season.

I don't think anyone has any idea how the offense or defense will look given the new coordinators. However, given the talent and the past successes of the 2 new coordinators, I have confidence that we'll have a good year (Pac-12 championship game and we'll probably win it). While this team might not feel amazing, my question is who those losses are coming to? The rest of the conference isn't very scary outside of USC just because of their comparable talent level.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

ducks5ever wrote:

I don't think anyone has any idea how the offense or defense will look given the new coordinators. However, given the talent and the past successes of the 2 new coordinators, I have confidence that we'll have a good year (Pac-12 championship game and we'll probably win it). While this team might not feel amazing, my question is who those losses are coming to? The rest of the conference isn't very scary outside of USC just because of their comparable talent level.
tOSU is still on another level above us IMO. Outside of that, I'll allow for one more fluke loss but 9-3 would be disappointing I think.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

I would be OK with wins over UW and Oregon State, and a win in the (whatever) bowl game. We don't get that every year. They were pretty unimpressive last year, especially stopping the run. I would be surprised if they didn't bounce back, given the recent recruiting and the quality OC and DC in place. I like having a a senior QB with lots of game experience. I think he is a leader. I even give them a chance against Ohio State. But it would be very tough to get through conference play without a couple of losses, though.

If fans want to give up on Mario after a three loss season, I guarantee that he'll have lots of other employment opportunities.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

73duck wrote:I would be OK with wins over UW and Oregon State, and a win in the (whatever) bowl game. We don't get that every year. They were pretty unimpressive last year, especially stopping the run. I would be surprised if they didn't bounce back, given the recent recruiting and the quality OC and DC in place. I like having a a senior QB with lots of game experience. I think he is a leader. I even give them a chance against Ohio State. But it would be very tough to get through conference play without a couple of losses, though.

If fans want to give up on Mario after a three loss season, I guarantee that he'll have lots of other employment opportunities.
Mario isn’t going anywhere. He has earned his position, and utilizing the amazing recruits he has brought in. This, by no means, is a year of determining his tenure. Next year, with more of his recruits, opens the conversation, and mildly, because it will be with a new, young QB. Good things await, at least in my mind.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Fully agree with the QB play statement. The few teams that do not live or die by QB play are those loaded with talent and depth at every position. (Alabama, Georgia, etc.) We aren't there yet.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I don’t think we’ll be as QB-dependent as we were last year for a number of reasons:
-Moorhead rarely had elite QB talent at PSU, (usually they underwhelmed… Is that on him? Maybe…) but he still put elite offenses out there.
-Moorhead has had a full offseason to put his O in place.
-We return our entire OL and they’ve not only had a year to gel, but a full offseason in the weight room.
-Our WR’s might be elite.
-Our defense finished the year looking like they’d taken some (small) steps. Especially against USC. Several young guys that were forced onto the field have experience that will pay off. I think we’ll be a well above average D this year that has enough spread out talent to really showcase maybe the best player in college football. I don’t want to win games 14-10, but with an improved defense against a weak Pac12, we might be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Also as far as CMC goes, let's just say this season doesn't meet expectations. The first excuse is that the coordinators are new and we need to give them more time (fair). Then if the season after that turns out poorly, the coordinator might get the boot. Then after another season (or maybe even 2) and things are still bad, then people might start looking at CMC. While it's easy to blame the CEO for all the problems, he's not really directly responsible for what's happening on the field... its probably the coordinators.

caveat - no one appears to know how involved CMC is with the offense/playcalling so knowing that would be nice before calling for heads