Fall camp

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Fall camp

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote:Also as far as CMC goes, let's just say this season doesn't meet expectations. The first excuse is that the coordinators are new and we need to give them more time (fair). Then if the season after that turns out poorly, the coordinator might get the boot. Then after another season (or maybe even 2) and things are still bad, then people might start looking at CMC. While it's easy to blame the CEO for all the problems, he's not really directly responsible for what's happening on the field... its probably the coordinators.

caveat - no one appears to know how involved CMC is with the offense/playcalling so knowing that would be nice before calling for heads
Actually, I have an entirely different approach to this. CMC absolutely needs to show he's a capable HC on game-days and this kind of deflect to the Coordinators is utter nonsense. If we get throttled at Ohio State that's going to be an ugly mark for him as he is absolutely responsible for everything that happens with Oregon Football and he has to take the good with the bad.

Numerous times during his tenure he's made bad decisions in game. The lack of PT that Shough got during blowouts with Herbert was a prime example of that, same with his pathetic 4th down calls where we run the ball into 9 defenders. Right now Mario does a lot of great things when the game isn't being played but he's got to show that he's a capable in-game HC because so far its the area he is lacking and I'm not sure how it could be viewed any differently. Players love him, recruiting is through the roof but we still lose games because we play down to our opponent and make bad decisions.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

It’s interesting that even Saban started to embrace creativity on offense and let his coordinators push the envelope when he realized his ground and pound wasn’t getting it done anymore. Be cause Mario left AL before Saban embraced an artistic offensive flair, I think Mario still believed in AL’s days of LOC football is how you win. That said, Mario bringing in a creative O coordinator last year demonstrates to me that he has caught on. I’m excited to see how this year plays out without the full challenges of COVID. Nevertheless, if we don’t see a marked improvement from our defense, we won’t go far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If CMC loses to any of the North teams outside of Stanford, I’ll start to really question him. He has no more excuses. He has far more talent than all of them. If he loses to ASU again or SC in the title game that might be understandable. Both have veteran QBs who are talented. But no reason to lose to UW, WSU, OSU or Cal. Lose to them, and things could start turning on Mario.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

You guys are sounding like the Husky fans of my youth and into the 1990's. "If I don't get what I want..."

It is not given to coaches to create victory only to try and keep their team ready to grab it.

Be careful of wanting a new coach as we are more like to get a Tyrone Willingham than the next college superstar. If Mario fails, OK, but there are more stories of programs falling from coaching changes than any other issue. Look at what happened to Nebraska for firing a winning coach or Michigan when they got the coach of their dream.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

When I posted that question about Mario I didn’t mean it as I would start to lose faith in him, but rather would the public. I expect 9-3 this year and anything above that would be great, but 7-5 or worse would be disappointing, and a losing record would be devastating, but I could see fans getting upset if they go 9-3 or worse and calling for Mario to be fired, just how fans are these days.

This will be a very interesting year, might be the most confused I’ve ever been about an Oregon team going into the season. I have 0 clue what to expect this season.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

buckmarkduck wrote:If CMC loses to any of the North teams outside of Stanford, I’ll start to really question him. He has no more excuses. He has far more talent than all of them. If he loses to ASU again or SC in the title game that might be understandable. Both have veteran QBs who are talented. But no reason to lose to UW, WSU, OSU or Cal. Lose to them, and things could start turning on Mario.
I didn't catch Stanford's spring game, but I thought UW looked pretty good in theirs. I don't think a loss to UW would be a major cause for concern. I'd even go so far to say UW has a solid shot at winning the conference. They look better than anyone outside of the Ducks. Dylan Morris is developing. USC is still an unbalanced mess.

In reference to the thread topic, the lack of production at RB is still my biggest worry in regards to Coach Cristobal. I still think that is a little unfair, considering that he didn't recruit Verdell and Dye. CMC has made a number of statements indicating that he values consistency over explosive plays in the running game. That might be a mistake, there aren't a lot of modern teams having success with a ground and pound philosophy. Mastro definitely needs to bring in a dude or his seat needs to start getting hot. I do wonder how much influence Mastro has on the overall offense. I want to see a season or two of what the team looks like once all of Helfrich/Taggart's recruits are gone. The 2019 class will be fifth year seniors in 2023 (or 2024, if covid gives them an extra year, not sure). I think Cristobal has shown enough potential that I am still really excited to see what the team looks like once it is fully his.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:If CMC loses to any of the North teams outside of Stanford, I’ll start to really question him. He has no more excuses. He has far more talent than all of them. If he loses to ASU again or SC in the title game that might be understandable. Both have veteran QBs who are talented. But no reason to lose to UW, WSU, OSU or Cal. Lose to them, and things could start turning on Mario.
Would you give up all of the recruiting for a slightly more competent head coach? I feel like his recruiting has pretty much bought him a lot more good will than you are suggesting. He has made a few questionable calls and lost a couple of games that he shouldn't have but all in all, he has been pretty successful.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I think a great place to be at the end of this year would be 9-3, staying relatively healthy, with a good bowl win, and a defense that improves over the course of the season and looks like it could dominate next year(with our talent influx). Then a really healthy off season competition at QB for next year where they push each other.

Sets up for a possible playoff run in 2022.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I think we all need to remember we have won 2 straight Pac12 championships.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

This is definitely Mario's team now. He gets credit for whatever success or lack of it that this team achieves.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:I think a great place to be at the end of this year would be 9-3, staying relatively healthy, with a good bowl win, and a defense that improves over the course of the season and looks like it could dominate next year(with our talent influx). Then a really healthy off season competition at QB for next year where they push each other.

I have given him lots of credit for recruiting. But at some point he has to show he can recruit and coach. I gave him a pass this year for L to OS and cal, and then the lackluster showing in the fiesta. But at some point you have to realize coaching matters also, or he is just another Herman, John Cooper or any other number of UGA coaches who recruit really well and never get the results on the field.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I think a great place to be at the end of this year would be 9-3, staying relatively healthy, with a good bowl win, and a defense that improves over the course of the season and looks like it could dominate next year(with our talent influx). Then a really healthy off season competition at QB for next year where they push each other.

I have given him lots of credit for recruiting. But at some point he has to show he can recruit and coach. I gave him a pass this year for L to OS and cal, and then the lackluster showing in the fiesta. But at some point you have to realize coaching matters also, or he is just another Herman, John Cooper or any other number of UGA coaches who recruit really well and never get the results on the field.
If he can win 9-10 games without his recruits though, you have to assume he will win more with top 5-10 classes coming through each year.

We are really at the beginning stages of "his team" now. Before was a mixture of: Helf, Taggart and MC teams. Cristobal is definitely on the conservative side of things as a coach but I'll take David Shaw on Saturdays mixed with Pete Carroll on the recruiting trail.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

EncinitasDuck wrote:I think we all need to remember we have won 2 straight Pac12 championships.
I wouldn't count last year's.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:I think we all need to remember we have won 2 straight Pac12 championships.
I wouldn't count last year's.
It's worth .5

Basically we had a nice win at USC, but we didn't exactly exert our dominance during the "season".
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I would count last years as much as any other championship from 2020. We went to the championship game and we beat the South Champion. All else is Covid chaos.