Fall camp

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Fall camp

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Quietduck wrote:I would count last years as much as any other championship from 2020. We went to the championship game and we beat the South Champion. All else is Covid chaos.
IDK, Pac-12 season has less weight than a lot of the other conferences last year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Not going to argue that fact. I'm just saying we won what was there for the year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

True, plus was nice to see the Huskies get jipped and for us to beat USC.

Anyway I bet this season turns out a bit like the VA season. Some good talent, but some holes in key areas that hold us back.

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

UOducksTK1 wrote:True, plus was nice to see the Huskies get jipped and for us to beat USC.

Anyway I bet this season turns out a bit like the VA season. Some good talent, but some holes in key areas that hold us back.
Outside of RB, which areas are we talking about? I think we'll be fine at QB. I've been critical of the interior DL but a quick look at the roster shows a lot of younger bodies (maybe slightly undersized) in the DL/DE rotation. Hopefully someone will pan out. The numbers are there. Maybe the OL will be limited by their low ceilings but perhaps Kingsley or someone else in the '20 class will show up?

Conclusion, a little lackluster on the RB side but everything else is really good? Hopefully AB can pitch in a little to open things up.

Also if I'm being honest about last season, it was pretty hard to watch. It didn't feel that different from Helf's final season in those last couple of regular season games.... Those 4th quarter losses where the offense couldn't run out the clock and the defense couldn't stop 1 last drive were super painful.... death by a thousand cuts. That being said, I'm still really optimistic about CMC. He knows what he's doing and he has the right coaching staff to get the job done. I haven't done any serious research on this but I think most coordinators with prior experience are given a minimum of 2/3 years and head coaches are usually cut after 3 straight bad seasons. CMC hasn't even had 1 yet (covid season doesn't count) ... let's calm down.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

ducks5ever wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:True, plus was nice to see the Huskies get jipped and for us to beat USC.

Outside of RB, which areas are we talking about? I think we'll be fine at QB. I've been critical of the interior DL but a quick look at the roster shows a lot of younger bodies (maybe slightly undersized) in the DL/DE rotation. Hopefully someone will pan out. The numbers are there. Maybe the OL will be limited by their low ceilings but perhaps Kingsley or someone else in the '20 class will show up?

Conclusion, a little lackluster on the RB side but everything else is really good? Hopefully AB can pitch in a little to open things up.

Also if I'm being honest about last season, it was pretty hard to watch. It didn't feel that different from Helf's final season in those last couple of regular season games.... Those 4th quarter losses where the offense couldn't run out the clock and the defense couldn't stop 1 last drive were super painful.... death by a thousand cuts. That being said, I'm still really optimistic about CMC. He knows what he's doing and he has the right coaching staff to get the job done. I haven't done any serious research on this but I think most coordinators with prior experience are given a minimum of 2/3 years and head coaches are usually cut after 3 straight bad seasons. CMC hasn't even had 1 yet (covid season doesn't count) ... let's calm down.
Question for you, why do you think we’ll be any different than least year’s helfrich like season?

But to answer your question, my concerns:
-RB play is meh. Especially cuz of my other concerns below. Having elite RB play can make up for OL or AB inconsistencies.
-I like AB, but I already know he’s gonna have a couple games with bad turnovers that will probably give us a L.
-OL, I guess I’m not as sold as everyone. Another position I think I’ll be inconsistent and a few bad games as well.
-Last years defense gave up 38 points or more in 3 of their 5 regular season games. I see our defense in the middle of the PAC.

There’s some other smaller ones but I think the key word here is reliable. I feel like this is the least reliable group I’ve seen in a while. Especially for our offense.

The potential to win 10 games is there but the potential to lose 5 games is also there. If I were a betting man, this is one year I’d definitely not bet on Oregon because they are too unpredictable IMO.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

How dare you offer a sober take in the off-season.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
-RB play is meh. Especially cuz of my other concerns below. Having elite RB play can make up for OL or AB inconsistencies.
-I like AB, but I already know he’s gonna have a couple games with bad turnovers that will probably give us a L.
-OL, I guess I’m not as sold as everyone. Another position I think I’ll be inconsistent and a few bad games as well.
-Last years defense gave up 38 points or more in 3 of their 5 regular season games. I see our defense in the middle of the PAC.
-RB play is meh. - I think we will have one of the most experienced backfields we've ever had. When CJ and Travis are on, they are better than meh and with them having so much experience, I think our running game will be at least respectable and given that we have enough of a passing threat that opponents can't stack the box, I think we can expect pretty good production from them.
- AB - I think that's a fair concern but I have hope that he can limit the turnovers now that he is the #1 guy in practice and will get all of the meaningful reps. It also doesn't hurt that he has a ton of experience and maturity.
- OL - Again, a reasonable concern but I do think that they should look a lot better than last year. A full offseason, real conditioning and an additional year of maturity for a lot of those guys should be evident on the field.
-Defense- It is definitely still an unknown but I don't think we can base any of it on how the team performed last year. We played a lot of young guys without a lot of practice or conditioning. Our DC had a foot out of the door and you could see it reflected in gameplay on the field. We have a new, established DC this year with a lot of talent at his disposal. I expect our defense will look vastly improved from last year, especially with the maturity of our young talent.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

karlhungis wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
-RB play is meh. - I think we will have one of the most experienced backfields we've ever had. When CJ and Travis are on, they are better than meh and with them having so much experience, I think our running game will be at least respectable and given that we have enough of a passing threat that opponents can't stack the box, I think we can expect pretty good production from them.
- AB - I think that's a fair concern but I have hope that he can limit the turnovers now that he is the #1 guy in practice and will get all of the meaningful reps. It also doesn't hurt that he has a ton of experience and maturity.
- OL - Again, a reasonable concern but I do think that they should look a lot better than last year. A full offseason, real conditioning and an additional year of maturity for a lot of those guys should be evident on the field.
-Defense- It is definitely still an unknown but I don't think we can base any of it on how the team performed last year. We played a lot of young guys without a lot of practice or conditioning. Our DC had a foot out of the door and you could see it reflected in gameplay on the field. We have a new, established DC this year with a lot of talent at his disposal. I expect our defense will look vastly improved from last year, especially with the maturity of our young talent.
I'll actually give you that the RB crew is experienced and solid. However, if we play a top 50 run defense, they go into hiding.

AB/OL/Defense, again we have the potential to have improved immensely this offseason. I am just more pessimistic with a relatively new OC and a new DC.

I think the main difference in my interpretation vs my more optimistic comrades is the faith we have in our coaches. If they killed it this offseason and go good growth in those four areas, then 10 wins isn't impossible. I don't see it this year. I think we'll have a better year in 2022.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:How dare you offer a sober take in the off-season.
:lol: True, FIRE HELFRICH!

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
I'll actually give you that the RB crew is experienced and solid. However, if we play a top 50 run defense, they go into hiding.

AB/OL/Defense, again we have the potential to have improved immensely this offseason. I am just more pessimistic with a relatively new OC and a new DC.

I think the main difference in my interpretation vs my more optimistic comrades is the faith we have in our coaches. If they killed it this offseason and go good growth in those four areas, then 10 wins isn't impossible. I don't see it this year. I think we'll have a better year in 2022.
Our uncertainty at QB and RB next year combined with the loss of KT has me at least as concerned about 2022 as I am about this year, if not more so.
OregonFan4life -
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

karlhungis wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Our uncertainty at QB and RB next year combined with the loss of KT has me at least as concerned about 2022 as I am about this year, if not more so.
I feel like getting some fresh blood at RB would help our running game. I also think AB may be better than our QB next year, but at least it's a QB who will become our franchise guy for the next few years (hopefully).

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote: I feel like getting some fresh blood at RB would help our running game. I also think AB may be better than our QB next year, but at least it's a QB who will become our franchise guy for the next few years (hopefully).
I think our RB coach is more responsible for our RB play than the players have been. I think that our results won't be significantly improved until we have better coaching at the position.
OregonFan4life -
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I've been around long enough that I remember a time when people were saying that about Coach Campbell. They they would shut up when a star came out. It was also said he couldn't recruit running backs until he did again. Running back is one of the most instinctual positions on the field and while a coach can help or hurt in the little things the main skills that make a good or great back is out of his control.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

karlhungis wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote: I feel like getting some fresh blood at RB would help our running game. I also think AB may be better than our QB next year, but at least it's a QB who will become our franchise guy for the next few years (hopefully).
I think our RB coach is more responsible for our RB play than the players have been. I think that our results won't be significantly improved until we have better coaching at the position.
I'm starting to see think that as well.

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Quietduck wrote:I've been around long enough that I remember a time when people were saying that about Coach Campbell. They they would shut up when a star came out. It was also said he couldn't recruit running backs until he did again. Running back is one of the most instinctual positions on the field and while a coach can help or hurt in the little things the main skills that make a good or great back is out of his control.
I've only payed attention since about the Maurice Morris timeframe. I agree that there was always extra excitement when stars showed up like JStew and Bongterrio but I don't ever remember people doubting the coaching of the RB's. Perhaps I am just looking at things differently now but I feel like there has been a pretty big step back in running back development since Campbell left.
OregonFan4life -