Not impressed by the Spring Game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Not impressed by the Spring Game

Post by duck023 »

It still seems like Oregon is trotting out the same running backs they tried to make work the past 3 years. Also Ashford played the best out of the qbs so unless he is the starter I don't like the sign of that. I thought at this point Brown would play better or that Oregon would recruit a solid running back.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Not impressed by the Spring Game

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We had walk on RB play most of the game.

We had walk on secondary playing against Ashford and Butterfield.

I wouldn't judge too much based on that. Brown will be solid though. Watch his highlights against Iowa St from last year. He was on point for every pass except the deep ball to DW right before half. Every other pass hit the receivers in the hands, literally.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Ty Thompson was the 2nd best QB in the Spring game IMO, after AB.

Ashford has perhaps the highest ceiling if he can be developed well by the staff.

Running back, Dollars and Benson haven't been healthy. We also have a new kid coming in the fall from the San Diego area.

Secondary will be good if DJ James steps up and we don't play Happle.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrantDuck wrote:and we don't play Happle.
Happle seemed like one of our more consistent players last year. My memory could be wrong on that.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We don't win the UCLA game without Happle....but he is slow for Pac12 play and isn't efficient against teams like Wazzu and USC.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:We don't win the UCLA game without Happle....but he is slow for Pac12 play and isn't efficient against teams like Wazzu and USC.
Or without Chase Griffin.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote:We don't win the UCLA game without Happle....but he is slow for Pac12 play and isn't efficient against teams like Wazzu and USC.
He's probably middle of the pack among our DBs in a 40 yard dash. His problem is he's just not very good, but it's not for lack of speed or athleticism.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrantDuck wrote:Ty Thompson was the 2nd best QB in the Spring game IMO, after AB.

Ashford has perhaps the highest ceiling if he can be developed well by the staff.

Running back, Dollars and Benson haven't been healthy. We also have a new kid coming in the fall from the San Diego area.

I'm really hoping Ty Thompson can be that guy. I like Brown but I also like Darron Thomas who sort of reminds me of Brown. The thing is Darron Thomas need Lamichael James. Oregon doesn't have a Lamichael James right unless Dollars steps up. However my biggest problem is the way the spring game is set up these days. I loved the team battle between Mariota and Bennett. At the time I thought Bennett was the best but Mariota proved me wrong in that spring game and I liked it. However when you play your 3rd and 4th string as much as the guy's battling for the position it's a little annoying because Butterfield was the most consistent but I know he isn't going to be the starter so I wanted to see Ty and Brown battle it out. The other guy played really good too but made a few more mistakes than Butterfield.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Dollars might miss the year with a leg injury sadly
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ Dollars might miss the year with a leg injury sadly
Last edited by duck023 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ Dollars might miss the year with a leg injury sadly
Then I say start Ty Thompson and lets see what Oregon has. I want to be optimistic but Brown and Verdell leading the Ducks to a Pac 12 title seems unlikely and then what? Both are seniors which means the Ducks will be rebuilding for 3 years straight. Lets at least get the rebuilding process over by giving Ty Thompson some experience. I feel their best chance is with Ty Thompson being an outstanding player. If Jamis Winston and Johnny Manziel can play as freshmen let Ty Thompson.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrantDuck wrote:Ty Thompson was the 2nd best QB in the Spring game IMO, after AB.

It looks like the guy from San Diego is Oregon's only hope who is Byron Caldwell. I'd actually rather play Caldwell and Ty Thompson to get the rebuilding done with. What I'm worried about is Brown and Verdell who are two seniors having a mediocre year and then rebuilding after mediocre year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Best player plays. I don't like arguments of other kinds, because it communicates the wrong things to the team.

Brown is the best quarterback in the room.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

StevensTechU wrote:Best player plays. I don't like arguments of other kinds, because it communicates the wrong things to the team.

Brown is the best quarterback in the room.
You do have a point. I will trust Cristobal's process!!!! Do you guy's think I'm wrong comparing Brown to Darron Thomas? I will say I liked Darron Thomas a lot because he dominated Boise St in that game at Autzen so I've always liked him even before he was the starter.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I lobbied an Oregon staffer to recruit Brown out of high school, and my comparison was DT. I think they're definitely similar players.