Fresno State @ #11 Oregon (Sept. 4 Sat 11 AM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: Fresno State @ #11 Oregon (Sept. 4 Sat 11 AM Pac-12 Netw

Post by Everythingsducky »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Yeah LSU is not looking good, I said early on Orgeron at LSU reminds me of Chizick, early national championship but drops off and sucks after that.

However I am worried about UCLA, they’re rising fast, Chip is getting them back on the map.
Never been sold on DTR, and am still not, even after they beat LSU. Not a cerebral QB, and his athleticism can’t cover his shortcomings.
DuckBomb2
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckBomb2 »

With that run game, does he need to be any of those things?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I haven't rewatched the game but I feel as if our offensive woes were a combination of things. The first is the obvious "1st game jitters." The other problem was trying to be vanilla early on and I don't like a single reason for it. For starters, if you think you can beat Ohio State, you aren't worried about "showing" them anything because you already believe you've got the Dudes to do it. The second reason and perhaps more problematic is that you aren't getting guys into a rhythm either.

Now give credit to Fresno State as they can win the MWC this year along with a few other teams who beat P12 teams last night but I feel part of our offensive woes were entirely self-inflicted due to game-plan problems. At no point did it look like the team was trying put 50 on the board and we still believe that the best way to run the ball is by stacking the box with 9 guys rather than spreading it thin.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:The issue with MC and the offense isn’t that he’s calling plays, I don’t believe he is or ever has. It’s a philosophical issue. He is enamored with the “my guys can beat your guys” idea, and it shows in the overall philosophy of the offense. We seem to prioritize out-talenting opponents over out-scheming them. All you have to do is look at the way we continue to run the same dive play in every short yardage situation, despite the fact that it fails so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the my dick is bigger than yours approach is way past old!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Not gonna have time to read everyone’s thoughts but our run game is the same, and Brown struggled but I think he’s getting out some wiggles. I think Ohio state will wax us but hopefully after that he starts hitting his stride.

Thank goodness fresno state handed us 14 points to start the game otherwise this would have been an upset.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

pezsez1 wrote:UCLA looks scary good against LSU.
Who was the dumb dumb that said UCLA didn’t have a QB?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Not gonna have time to read everyone’s thoughts but our run game is the same, and Brown struggled but I think he’s getting out some wiggles. I think Ohio state will wax us but hopefully after that he starts hitting his stride.

Thank goodness fresno state handed us 14 points to start the game otherwise this would have been an upset.
I've seen this repeated but those weren't handed to us, our defenders absolutely took those away from Fresno and looking at it any other way is disrespectful to our defense.

KT, Noah, Justin and Mykael all had forced fumbles on the day and 3 were recovered by the Defense.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Not gonna have time to read everyone’s thoughts but our run game is the same, and Brown struggled but I think he’s getting out some wiggles. I think Ohio state will wax us but hopefully after that he starts hitting his stride.

I've seen this repeated but those weren't handed to us, our defenders absolutely took those away from Fresno and looking at it any other way is disrespectful to our defense.

KT, Noah, Justin and Mykael all had forced fumbles on the day and 3 were recovered by the Defense.
Totally agree and not sure why some are dismissing it. Last year there were zero turnovers.

RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Duck07 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:UCLA looks scary good against LSU.
They host Fresno State next week too. We play them in October and at this point they might be undefeated.
That ought to give us a guage of how good Fresno State is.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I just hope that we were just overlooking Fresno and that we are gonna be much better next week.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

DuckzRule wrote:I just hope that we were just overlooking Fresno and that we are gonna be much better next week.
I hear what you are saying but you can never overlook an opponent. As I said in a previous post, FSU is always formidable. I suspect UW was overlooking Montana and look what happened.

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

lmduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Totally agree and not sure why some are dismissing it. Last year there were zero turnovers.

I don't think anyone is dismissing this. It's more that the defense had to carry the team all the way to the finish line, and the offense couldn't do squat.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lmduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

It wasnt meant to dismiss our defense, I agree with you both. Moreso to show our defense was almost more effective offensively than our offense.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

At this rate I wonder what will happen if Chip returns to coach us, even tho it's extremely impossible, imagine if he got Mario's recruiting mentality.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Chippers is such an interesting case study.

Can he be a perennial NY6 participant? Quite possible

Will he ever get the talent to go undefeated and make the 4 team playoff? I have my doubts

But.... college football is very different these days compared to a decade ago. Can he get everything he needs from the transfer portal? Possibly. I could see the appeal of playing for an innovative/cool offense. That doesn't require too much of a pitch to draw in players. I'm sure this is another topic but as much as we remember CK for his offenses, the duck defenses during his years were actually pretty good too (partially because of the offense). I'm sure he can draw in guys from the portal on the defensive side too.