Fresno State @ #11 Oregon (Sept. 4 Sat 11 AM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: Fresno State @ #11 Oregon (Sept. 4 Sat 11 AM Pac-12 Netw

Post by northbeachsf »

When Hill and James come back, this defense has a chance to be elite.

Shough’s QB rating was 165 last week against a decent Houston team. The problem on offense was never Shough. It’s not Brown either. And it won’t be Ty Thompson next year. Just sayin.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

northbeachsf wrote:When Hill and James come back, this defense has a chance to be elite.

Shough’s QB rating was 165 last week against a decent Houston team. The problem on offense was never Shough. It’s not Brown either. And it won’t be Ty Thompson next year. Just sayin.
MC needs to get out of the way of his own offense. It's like a boat sailing with the anchor in the water.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

FYI for those slobbering over UCLA, their entire defense is comprised of SR and their offense has 7 senior starters. They are good this year but I'd be shocked if they're as formidable next year.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

northbeachsf wrote:When Hill and James come back, this defense has a chance to be elite.

I feel like people are weird with QBs. A lot of folks on ScoopDuck were wishing for Braxton back because VT won this week and a lot of others were clamoring for Shough back as well.

Shough had 6 INT last year in realistically 6 games played. He also had another 6 that could have been easy INT throughout the year on balls he threw right at a LB. Not only that, he fumbled the ball in key moments as well.

I wrote this out in another thread, but we had potential game winning drives against: OSU (2x), Cal (2x) and game clinching drives against UCLA (2x) and USC. That is 7 4th quarter clutch drives and Shough went 0-fer. Not only did he not do so, but he had a horrendous INT against OSU, a horrendous fumble against Cal and 2 straight 3 and out against UCLA in those clutch moments. Shough put up stats by dumping the ball off to DJ Johnson on fake TE wham blocks. If you give me a 4th and 2 on the 30 and I can have Brown or Shough, I'm certainly not taking Shough in that moment.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think Brown as a passer would have looked better had the coaches actually game-planned on throwing the ball. I certainly wasn't calling for his removal in this game because it was clear he wasn't the problem. I griped about 1 particular 3rd down throw, but I also couldn't see the other 2 WRs in the shot to know if the short throw to Dye was actually the best/only option.

What upsets me is that rather than appearing as if they wanted to throttle and attack Fresno, they looked like they wanted to sit back and let the game come to them. Now we don't have an offense that is rhythm and I think that was a big mistake. Naturally the Bulldog defense had something to say about that but the gameplan looked terrible from the start.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

The entire team was other than fierce and dynamic. I am close to convinced that what appeared to be vanilla was actually a sign of mediocre coaching. Use the athletes. Match the plays to their skill levels. I have not seen that for several games. Why have a 400 hp engine if you are only driving to the store once a week? Where were sweeps with Redd? Where were the end arounds? How about TEs in the flat and the edges?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

^^^^Thus.

We are handcuffed on offense. I get that Brown and Shough are not the same level as Herbert and Mariota. However, when you see guys like Shough, Burmeister, etc all playing fairly well after they transfer, at what point do you start to question the system?

It’s not like Masoli or Thomas were world-beater QBs, but the staff played to their strengths to help make them successful at Oregon. I don’t see that happening anymore.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

northbeachsf wrote:^^^^Thus.

However, when you see guys like Shough, Burmeister, etc all playing fairly well after they transfer, at what point do you start to question the system?
Burmeister - 12/19 168 yards 1td 1int

Shough - 17/24 230 yards 1td

These guys aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I don't know what game you guys were watching if you think the offense was in handcuffs from the coaches. We did a lot less pistol more out of shotgun and more empty sets than we did all last year. Not to mention we did more no-huddle tempo than I've seen since Helf was coach. As for the receivers I watched at least 8 plays where one of them was running free and the ball was going into coverage. I'm not against Brown at all but either the receivers were not running the right routes or Brown didn't or couldn't make the read to get them the ball. During the fourth quarter, we were running the ball up the middle for 5-10 constantly. Personally, the cause in my opinion for a lot of the problems was number 90 from the bulldogs. When he got worn out in the last our running and passing game picked up a lot..
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I still think AB was the right guy to start the season and is the right guy to start on the road in the shoe. I also think that Stony Brook is the right time to see what Ty can do and if he performs, let him have it the rest of the way.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:^^^^Thus.

However, when you see guys like Shough, Burmeister, etc all playing fairly well after they transfer, at what point do you start to question the system?
Burmeister - 12/19 168 yards 1td 1int

Shough - 17/24 230 yards 1td

These guys aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.
Per ESPN from week 1:
Shough QBR - 165.4
Burmeister QBR - 144.7
Brown QBR - 136.5

In all fairness, I am not saying I want Shough or Burmeister back, I am just pointing out that these other schools are doing a much better job of playing to their strengths.
Oregon seems to be having a hard time with this concept these days.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

In all fairness, I am not saying I want Shough or Burmeister back, I am just pointing out that these other schools are doing a much better job of playing to their strengths.
Oregon seems to be having a hard time with this concept these days.
Didn't that other kid Terry Wilson do well after transferring, too?

The eye test tells me we're having a hard time developing our QBs. I mentioned this in another thread and folks told me to reserve judgement, but I didn't see anything from AB on Saturday that told me he was "the guy," and now I'm worried why our stud freshman QB hasn't shown enough in practice to convince the coaches to start building our future.

I'm just really excited for a game when our QB looks better and more confident than the other team's QB. I don't think that's happened since Herbert's Rose Bowl game (or arguably the Pac-12 title game before that). It worries me that none of our guys are apparently capable of looking like that right now.

(Yes, that's a wild statement, and my head knows it probably won't be true this year, but I'm just tired of our lukewarm QB play despite the star ratings of recruits we're pulling in.)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Star ratings and QB play often have nothing to do with each other. There seem to be as many flopping 5 stars as there are great 3 stars. If I remember our Heisman winner was a 3 star or low 4 star recruit. I trust ratings much more for other positions.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Verdell's rushing numbers in the 1st 3 quarters: 2, -1, 2, 0, 4, 3, 1 (a formidable 1.3 ypc on 7 attempts).

Dye's rushing numbers in the 1st 3 quarters: 4, 5, 3, 1, 2, 3, 7, 5, 4, 5, 17 (a solid 5.1 ypc on 11 attempts).

Not bad numbers for Dye. I can't believe Verdell is this bad. At least his goal to get to 2000 yards this year is off to stellar start. What a joke.

Down to take some wagers on Dye's ypc next game. I'm going with under 3.5. This back field is just bad and the OL isn't doing them many favors either.