What will be the Team/League procedures for player infection

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

What will be the Team/League procedures for player infection

Post by GrandpaDuck »

For some time I had been thinking this season would be fairly normal. Fans in stands and full schedule of games.

Now I believe we will see a lot of players test positive throughout the season as Delta has a lot better chance of breaking through with vaccinated people and it is really potent against the unvaccinated ones.

Have protocols been established or hinted at for what happens when a team has multiple positive players? I expect we'll see more cases than lasts year, but will the protocol this year be to play on?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: What will be the Team/League procedures for player infec

Post by StevensTechU »

The new P12 commissioner and the head of football operations (I can't spell the former's name, and I can't remember the name of the latter) said at Pac-12 media days that they would announce protocols in "mid-August."
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:The new P12 commissioner and the head of football operations (I can't spell the former's name, and I can't remember the name of the latter) said at Pac-12 media days that they would announce protocols in "mid-August."
Thanks.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

For some time I had been thinking this season would be fairly normal. Fans in stands and full schedule of games.
Thanks for starting this as its own thread!

I think I said this elsewhere, but I'm still confident we'll have fans in the stands. Delta is driving up infections pretty hard right now but there doesn't seem to be any political will at the state or county levels to implement restrictions in response. The focus now seems to be less on restrictions and more on getting people vaccinated. (Such as in CA, where LA is considering vaccine passports for restaurants/gyms/etc. rather than shutting things down.) I feel like if our leadership takes any kind of action, it will be something along those lines... but even that seems unlikely. I highly doubt the state has done any groundwork in creating a vaccine passport system and football starts in one month. I definitely don't see Lane County spearheading that effort.

My bet is players will go through similar protocols as they did last year. Frequent testing can isolate players before they infect too many others, and a high vaccination rate within the team (assuming that's the case) should prevent the kind of massive outbreaks teams dealt with last season.

I definitely expect to see several players miss games because of COVID, but if college protocols mirror NBA protocols then vaccinated players should be able to return to action much sooner than unvaccinated players, so that should help. (Thinking of Chris Paul missing just two games and not two weeks or more.)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

We had better NOT see vaccination passports, I don’t see that as a weakness of political will. I see that as an invasion of my civil rights, as well as interfering with my personal medical decisions.
I don’t understand why people, like myself, who have had COVID are not considered protected against the virus.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

jBeavertonduck wrote:We had better NOT see vaccination passports, I don’t see that as a weakness of political will. I see that as an invasion of my civil rights, as well as interfering with my personal medical decisions.
I don’t understand why people, like myself, who have had COVID are not considered protected against the virus.

It is. But the people who spent zero time and sacrifice to maintain our freedoms, are more than happy to give them away.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Curious what happens when the current test kits, which are being discontinue as insufficient for the purpose they have been dedicated to, even by the guy who developed them, run out?

If there are no viable replacements, does COVID suddenly become a non-factor?

(Tongue firmly in cheek!)
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

It is. But the people who spent zero time and sacrifice to maintain our freedoms, are more than happy to give them away.
I know plenty of veterans and people with spouses who've served who support vaccine passports, vaccine mandates, mask rules, business restrictions, etc. We don't need passive-aggressive comments that are as wrong as they are divisive.
Curious what happens when the current test kits
My guess would be the Pac-12 would secure tests from someplace else. Plenty of good options out there.

I'd like to point out that absolutely nothing about my reply here is political.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Re: Test kits.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/07/scich ... -pcr-test/

For those who don't want to follow the link- A certain PCR test is being discontinued in favor of a bunch of other, better, alternatives.

"the CDC did not say it was no longer supporting the use of PCR tests in general, many of which have been authorized by the FDA — or that its original PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 can’t tell the difference between coronavirus and influenza — as viral posts spreading online falsely claim."
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pezsez1 wrote:
I know plenty of veterans and people with spouses who've served who support vaccine passports, vaccine mandates, mask rules, business restrictions, etc. We don't need passive-aggressive comments that are as wrong as they are divisive.
Dude, just stop. People can express their opinion here without your permission.

Trying to force people into various behaviors that they don't agree with is not 'freedom' and people in the military (or their spouses?) are not the arbiters of freedom. Freedom is allowing people to act according to their own conscience, without government intervention.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Phalanx wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

Trying to force people into various behaviors that they don't agree with is not 'freedom' and people in the military (or their spouses?) are not the arbiters of freedom. Freedom is allowing people to act according to their own conscience, without government intervention.
It's good to see that you skipped over passive aggressive and went straight to overtly aggressive. It seems to me that buckmark was the person to bring veterans into the conversation. That's generally the benchmark when throwing around "sacrifice to maintain our freedom" line. You seem pretty keen on what freedom is but I get the impression that you have a wildly different definition of what would be considered "sacrifice" in this context.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I love the words 'passive-aggressive' or 'overtly aggressive' being attached to people expressing opinions on a message board thread. I thought I knew what those phrases meant, but apparently, not everyone shares the same definition. :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Politics don't belong in the sports forums. The admins have stated this.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36178

Buck's backhanded political comment shouldn't have even been posted here. Same with your comments about what you believe freedom means. None of that is relevant here.

If you and Buck want to get political, take it out of topic and people who care about your opinions can chime in there.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pezsez1 wrote:
Politics don't belong in the sports forums. The admins have stated this.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36178

Buck's backhanded political comment shouldn't have even been posted here. Same with your comments about what you believe freedom means. None of that is relevant here.

If you and Buck want to get political, take it out of topic and people who care about your opinions can chime in there.
Watching the evolution of this post has been a hoot. First you accuse me 'pearl-clutching' and trying to stamp out political speech, then you decide that you would rather reserve that role for yourself. :lol:

In any case, you telling anyone not to discuss politics is a joke, but especially so in a thread about how something will be governed - you know - the definition of politics. Arguing against vaccine passports is entirely appropriate in this thread, so you should probably just un-appoint yourself as the hall monitor.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Gonna close this one. Pez, feel free to start again if you want to continue discussions on the point.

Unfortunately, this one is trending off-topic.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13