Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James arrested

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I guess I'll go on record and say I don't think this is more than a 1 game ban kind of offense. An airsoft gun is not a "firearm" or a "weapon." This was incredibly stupid, but I can't say it was incredibly harmful. One game ban plus some extra work over the course of the season (carrying gear, cleaning up, community service) seems to fit the crime.

When I first read what the charges were, I immediately thought they must have beat the s*** out of a guy and had a gun on them, but instead it is them shooting plastic pellets at strangers like dipshit teenagers.
One game + plus internal 'probation' meaning they better be on time, participatory and engaged in every meeting, event, class, tutoring etc. Mario will tighten the leash and they will have to earn back some priveleges would be my guess.
UofDuck
Senior

Jamal Hill and DJ James arrested

Post by UofDuck »

My 12 year old son shot me in the backside with an air soft gun and it stings for sure. He thought it was funny. I didn’t and he heard about it from me in no-uncertain terms, but it was not a big deal. Honestly, make them run bleachers hard for an hour and put this behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Close up, those things hurt.

From a distance though, it wouldn’t feel like much. Still, it’s absolutely insane to shoot at random people when you would have a whole line of dudes wanting an air soft battle in any dorm etc
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

UPDATE: apparently EPD saying they were charged but NOT arrested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

lmduck wrote:UPDATE: apparently EPD saying they were charged but NOT arrested.

It’s called being “clc’d” or cited in lieu of custody. In Oregon nothing they are charged with are mandatory arrest crimes. So the officer has the option to take you to jail or cite you in lieu of custody with a court date.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

brich75 wrote:

It’s called being “clc’d” or cited in lieu of custody. In Oregon nothing they are charged with are mandatory arrest crimes. So the officer has the option to take you to jail or cite you in lieu of custody with a court date.
Thanks for the clarification. Still just down right irresponsible and dumb.

brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

lmduck wrote:
brich75 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. Still just down right irresponsible and dumb.

I agree, it’s not funny in this day and age. The innocent people being shot at probably had no idea they were fake. They still hurt like hell, and this easily could have been one of those national stories where someone with a real gun shoots someone with a fake gun. Pretty irresponsible no matter the age. Of course there will be the “they’re just kids” group.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Dumb, and dangerous for all involved. Mostly themselves.

Legal aspect: they will get a slap on the wrist. Community service, court. This is surprisingly common, I’ve seen a very similar case. Except a woman was hit in the eye with an air soft pellet and did go to the hospital.

Punishment: One game suspension, maybe even a half. Anything more is probably too harsh unless there is more to it or we don’t know of other discipline issues.

Precedent: Jameis Winston was already suspended when he shot out windows. It was properly and not people, he had an extra game suspension added on.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Shooting random people with BB guns deserves more than a game. POS behavior.
UofDuck
Senior

Jamal Hill and DJ James arrested

Post by UofDuck »

I’m one of those “just kids being kids” probably because at 20 I did stupid stuff too. They were obviously just screwing around because air soft guns with plastic rounds that don’t travel too fast are not immensely dangerous. Should they have done it? Hell no. It is a stupid thing to do? Hell yes. Punishment should be harsh by running the hell out of them. They will also probably have to do community service. Combine those two they’ll pay society back and pay in pain AND learn a lesson from their prank AND not do it again. Isn’t that what we want here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Maybe I'm just jaded by the past year, but I don't really care if they just get slaps on the wrist. Definitely dumb on their part but I'm confident the coaches can punish them, even make them hurt a bit, without causing them to miss more than one game or even just a half.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Tray Dub wrote:Shooting random people with BB guns deserves more than a game. POS behavior.

Not a BB gun. A gun that shoots bigger (than a bb) plastic balls. Still dumb, but they don’t hurt near as badly. From experience, paint balls hurt way worse. Doubt these left much or any mark.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

As a teenager, I was shot in the leg with a .22 lead pellet, out of a Beeman air pistol... Hurt like hell, plus damaged my femoral artery enough to create a massive hematoma. I wasn't amused, and neither was the doctor or my parents.

My brother never forgot it, either! (The sound of a belt snaking out of the loops in a pair of pants is still haunts his dreams, 55 years later.)

Guys (Law enforcement, mostly former military dudes) I worked with at one time thought it was great fun to freeze paintballs prior to a challenge battle... Believe me, those hurt like heck, and left a mark!

Having recently been nailed by a pellet from an airsoft gun, I can attest to it giving me a healthy sting, but in no way is it comparable.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not excusing stupid behavior in any way, but the things can still be dangerous, causing eye damage, or startling someone like the scooter rider enough to swerve into traffic. The potential of retaliation with real firearms scares the dickens out of me, and there are those lurking among us that might be so inclined, given the chance.

I'm sure CMC has 'ways to make them suffer', most likely involving quality time will Coach Feld and his minions.

Felony charges?

After watching the kid gloves policies of many law enforcement agencies practiced over the summer of 'mostly peaceful protests', that would be a travesty.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Well I’m guessing they’re as good as gone.
For shooting BB guns?

Punished for being dumbasses? Absolutely. Kicked off the team? I don't see how that's helpful to anyone. I'm not exactly concerned that they're going to get the rest of the defense caught up in a BB gun gang.
I started my post before the second tweet was posted, all I saw was they assaulted someone and thought what you thought, they beat the living hell out of someone.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Fyi for those needing some perspective. I'm pretty sure if any of us walked outside and started shooting people with a pellet gun, we're probably going to spend the night in jail unless bailed out. This is pretty serious even if it was just for giggles. These guys are still adults and will be treated as such.