Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Post by pudgejeff »

Alan wrote:Just something that has been bugging me a little. I think these two knuckleheads actions and the consequences of their action far outweigh the OSU game. I have no problem with them missing three games, including the OSU game.
My biggest question here is, what would the punishment be if this was just two random 19-20 year olds in Eugene? They would have been cited, paid the fines and then nothing else right?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
Alan wrote:Just something that has been bugging me a little. I think these two knuckleheads actions and the consequences of their action far outweigh the OSU game. I have no problem with them missing three games, including the OSU game.
My biggest question here is, what would the punishment be if this was just two random 19-20 year olds in Eugene? They would have been cited, paid the fines and then nothing else right?

I doubt it would have even been in the paper. And maybe not even reported. Eugene is small. I’m sure someone said that guy looks like a football player, let’s call the police.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
They would probably not play in the OSU game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pudgejeff wrote:
That's a baseless assertion. There's tons of examples of kids getting, arrested, fined, and even convicted:
https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/loc ... 81814.html
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... olice-say/
https://abcnews.go.com/US/caught-video- ... d=78170396
(There's little 50 more articles I can cite)

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

They can graduate but not play football...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Perspective:
19/20 yr olds are not “kids” they are young adults, will they make mistakes and poor judgment…yup we all did. I have s*** I’m still paying for and explaining from my early 20’s to early 30’s, I’m 48. Depends on the mistake and how it affected others is what needs to be determined, and that’s for the coaches to determine this is just an old mans opinion. Wearing that uniform is not free it comes with responsibilities to yourself, your team and the school. Representing a school or later in life a company means you are/should be held to a higher standard.

I haven’t read all the posts here but don’t recall anyone saying “kick’em of the team”. Ive read everything from a half game suspension to 6 games. Me I’m leaning towards the 6 game with some serious off field time being educated on how serious this could of been, firearms training, meet some victims of gun violence etc. These two put there lives at risk and those around them period. If this happens a half hour south, an hour east or west and the likelihood of these two having return fire from led bullets goes up exponentially. Add in the gang gun violence throughout this country right (seriously WTF were they thinking) now and they were very very lucky. What happens to Eugene if one or two of them were shot and killed by LE or white citizen…..BLM/ANTIFA burn it to the ground. How many more innocent victims are hurt and killed. I know, a lot of what if’s….doesn’t mean they don’t need to swallow there pride and be educated. Sorry words and apologies mean nothing with out proving you’ve learned your lesson. Blunt and Kiko worked there asses off to show the team, coaches, addmin and fans they deserved to be on the field.
All the folks saying 1 game suspension are only concerned about W and L and not about these two young adults.

Again my opinion and no it can’t be changed so save yourself some typing time with any verbal attacks.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Rsbgduck, don't you think 6 games + firearms training is a bit excessive? I'm not a gun person by any means, but they weren't even really using guns, right? I read earlier in this thread that it was an airsoft gun that shoots round plastic pellets. Not that it isn't literally a gun, but man... I wouldn't think twice about firing a gun that shoots plastic pellets in my backyard, but a REAL gun that shoots actual bullets? Hell no! These guys were dumb to ride around shooting people with plastic pellets, but I don't see any correlation between that and actual drive-by shootings either in the nature of the act or the likelihood in committing said violence.

Earlier, I said I'd be happy with missing just one half of a game. I stand by that. But maybe this is one of those things where these guys should miss 1-2 games just because what they did was so absurdly dumb... and, like you said, these aren't kids. These are young adults and they SHOULD know better.

I definitely think half of the season is a big heavy-handed though... punishment seems much larger than the crime. And definitely don't see the need for firearms training... doesn't really seem relevant given the specific nature of what happened.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

pezsez1 wrote:Rsbgduck, don't you think 6 games + firearms training is a bit excessive? I'm not a gun person by any means, but they weren't even really using guns, right? I read earlier in this thread that it was an airsoft gun that shoots round plastic pellets. Not that it isn't literally a gun, but man... I wouldn't think twice about firing a gun that shoots plastic pellets in my backyard, but a REAL gun that shoots actual bullets? Hell no! These guys were dumb to ride around shooting people with plastic pellets, but I don't see any correlation between that and actual drive-by shootings either in the nature of the act or the likelihood in committing said violence.

Earlier, I said I'd be happy with missing just one half of a game. I stand by that. But maybe this is one of those things where these guys should miss 1-2 games just because what they did was so absurdly dumb... and, like you said, these aren't kids. These are young adults and they SHOULD know better.

I definitely think half of the season is a big heavy-handed though... punishment seems much larger than the crime. And definitely don't see the need for firearms training... doesn't really seem relevant given the specific nature of what happened.
Seems like it is worse than the Blount punch as far as crime for crime comparison goes. So, who knows how this ends up? If video exists (I honestly don't know), I would expect Canzano to try to burn the program to the ground if they get a slap on the wrist. If no video exists, then I expect a 1 to 2 game suspension.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:Rsbgduck, don't you think 6 games + firearms training is a bit excessive? I'm not a gun person by any means, but they weren't even really using guns, right? I read earlier in this thread that it was an airsoft gun that shoots round plastic pellets. Not that it isn't literally a gun, but man... I wouldn't think twice about firing a gun that shoots plastic pellets in my backyard, but a REAL gun that shoots actual bullets? Hell no! These guys were dumb to ride around shooting people with plastic pellets, but I don't see any correlation between that and actual drive-by shootings either in the nature of the act or the likelihood in committing said violence.

Seems like it is worse than the Blount punch as far as crime for crime comparison goes. So, who knows how this ends up? If video exists (I honestly don't know), I would expect Canzano to try to burn the program to the ground if they get a slap on the wrist. If no video exists, then I expect a 1 to 2 game suspension.

I imagine Chip would change that decision nowadays. He was a first year HC, and the punch happened on live national TV, at a time no other games were on. All eyeballs saw that punch. But worse they saw our terrible play on the field. Year 3 Chip, would have suspended LGB for a game or 2 and moved on. And he would have told the media to pound sand if they didn’t like it.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

I imagine Chip would change that decision nowadays. He was a first year HC, and the punch happened on live national TV, at a time no other games were on. All eyeballs saw that punch. But worse they saw our terrible play on the field. Year 3 Chip, would have suspended LGB for a game or 2 and moved on. And he would have told the media to pound sand if they didn’t like it.
I agree. I think had that not been Chip's first game he would have handled it much differently.

I know for fact Chip was told by Tony Dungy that he should have handled that situation much differently. I am paraphrasing what Tony actually said to CHip but the net of it was that he felt Chip's punishment was overreaching.

On the other point made, I have not heard that JC has weighed in on this. Anyone in PDX know if he has addressed it????
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Anyone in PDX know if he has addressed it????
He's been pretty quiet lately. I think he's still recovering from chasing Neil Olshey.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

I’m not in LE, but this could come across that way.

I’m no expert, I’ve been around firearms all my life and have been through several training/safety programs including DPSST. I take them and safety handling them very seriously. If I come across as a dick I’m not trying I’m just blunt. I appreciate how you responded. I typed this all out once, when to check on something on a different app and everything was gone when I came back so you’re going to get a somewhat shortened version and terms like “jumping through hoops” is not me making light of anything.
As for the plastic pellets, no they are not going to break skin, they can put your eye out, cause a bicyclist/skateboarder to dart into traffic and there is even a case a few yrs ago of a man having a heart attack. Although those are serious issues that’s not my biggest issue with this. When a gun (these things look like real firearms) is pointed at you (especially from a car) you have a fraction of a second to determine if it’s “real” also in that fraction of a second your brain is trying to figure out fight or flight. If anyone on here questions this I would invite you to contact your local sheriffs office and see if you can participate in an interactive video simulation or an in person field training exercise. I would recommend the in person, they use live rounds that have a plastic bullet with paint and it doesn’t feel good. They are always looking for volunteers. If these two young adults with bright futures had pointed these at a LE officer or someone with a CCP that future more than likely would of come to an end. Most folks who conceal carry do not have FMJ rounds in there sidearms, they are loaded with hollow points and they are extremely unforgiving. Not going to go into why this is. My point is to the severity of what could of happened.
Take a DUII for example, the punishment is based purely on what could have happened according to statistics. Suspended license, diversion, victim groups, AA, etc and depending on all kinds of factors a judge will determine the severity, if you jump through all the hoops (it’s much better to start doing all that before your court appearance) and you have a good driving and criminal record the judge will go with the lower mandatory sentencing. However if you are also representing/management in a company you will more than likely be held accountable by your employer including suspension/termination.
These young men are representing a university, a program and a globally recognized brand. That jersey isn’t free, it comes with a higher standard of responsibility and accountability. IMO they should have a harsher punishment than your average student. If they put in the time and effort off the field I see no issue with 3-4 games, but if they go at it half assed (like I’ve seen way to many people do with DUII diversion) then yes 6 games, you do NOT want this EVER happening again, and yes I’m a believer in making an example, but that’s all for the coaches to determine and I do trust MC to do what he feels is right with info we will never hear about.
I’m not looking to handicap anyone’s career but for God’s sake, there lives could of ended let alone any career. If this had been one of my young adult children the courts would of been the least of there worries. If they had done it while still home well instead of sports after school they would of been participating in victims of gun violence groups, gun safety (they had there fair share anyways) classes and been human targets during field training exercises for all our local departments.
I take gun safety (Bows and crossbows too) and the 2ed Amendment very seriously. That includes nerf, air-soft, paintball, bb/pellet. My grandkids have nerf guns and they must wear safety glasses or goggles, and will loose them for an extended period of time if they shot at someone who’s not “playing”, when they graduate to air soft they will have to have all skin covered plus the glasses, paintball all covered, face shield and no putting paintballs in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (they don’t freeze solid but they harden up A LOT) like my dumbass younger self did ONCE. When they are old enough to take/participate in gun safety/training classes that’s where they will be. I’m rambling now. I’m always down to talk or discuss firearms safety and training with anyone, I don’t argue or debate opinions.
If you want to see if someone wants to change, are serious about making amends, proving they learned from a mistake take away there daily motivation (playing time) put it at the end of a tunnel as the proverbial “light” with some obstacles they have to overcome in order to play again. Granted the obstacles can’t be impossible, those should be determined by a coaches knowledge of the players personality, but the game suspension(s) should be the least of their worries. I agree the punishment can’t be excessive and that’s where the coaches knowledge again should come into play. Me at this age….MC should give me the 6 games. ;)
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Do we know if the gun(s) were visible from the car? Maybe they just cracked the window just enough to shoot and to see people jump from the sting. Again, my own son shot me with an AirSoft gun in the backside when he was young. Hurt like hell and he paid for it, but asking these guys to miss half of a season seems WAY over the top to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

UofDuck wrote:Do we know if the gun(s) were visible from the car? Maybe they just cracked the window just enough to shoot and to see people jump from the sting. Again, my own son shot me with an AirSoft gun in the backside when he was young. Hurt like hell and he paid for it, but asking these guys to miss half of a season seems WAY over the top to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My son shot me as well. The rounds that hit my bare skin(arms, hands) made me bleed. I think there are several different types. Some may not be as powerful. Some however hurt like a pellet gun and will make you bleed.