Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Post by StevensTechU »

Goddamnit
Last edited by StevensTechU on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James arrested

Post by StevensTechU »

Sounds like they shot people with BB guns. Pure geniuses.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Well I’m guessing they’re as good as gone.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Well I’m guessing they’re as good as gone.
For shooting BB guns?

Punished for being dumbasses? Absolutely. Kicked off the team? I don't see how that's helpful to anyone. I'm not exactly concerned that they're going to get the rest of the defense caught up in a BB gun gang.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Official report says they were airsoft guns (spring-loaded BB guns that shoot plastic instead of metal BBs). They shot a few people from inside their car, including someone on a scooter.

Pure stupidity. I could see my 12 year old self doing something similar. But at 20, you hope you're a little smarter than that.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Official report says they were airsoft guns (spring-loaded BB guns that shoot plastic instead of metal BBs). They shot a few people from inside their car, including someone on a scooter.

Pure stupidity. I could see my 12 year old self doing something similar. But at 20, you hope you're a little smarter than that.
Agree. This is really dumb and they certainly should know better. I am guessing there will be punishment along the lines of sitting for a couple of games as well as some internal punishment that won't be made public.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Official report says they were airsoft guns (spring-loaded BB guns that shoot plastic instead of metal BBs). They shot a few people from inside their car, including someone on a scooter.

My stupid game was at a much higher level at 20 than 12. (More dangerous toys)
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Well I’m guessing they’re as good as gone.

Then come the game formerly known as the civil war, they would definitely be in Beaver unis. If the get kicked off the team, I’d be shocked.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Reckless endangerment = Class A misdemeanor

Assault = can by misdemeanor or felony. Shooting at someone driving a scooter is one of those things that gives the DA a lot of leeway, but can likely be plead down to misdemeanor Assault 4.

I didn't know that an airsoft could qualify for "illegal discharge of a firearm".

One of those times where being the Head Coach isn't fun.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Absolutely stupid decisions on their part, especially with them firing the weapons from vehicles. This incident reminds me of when some Oregon basketball players were shooting pellet guns at animals in a park back during the Kent era. I remember they had to do community service and missed a couple games.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I guess I'll go on record and say I don't think this is more than a 1 game ban kind of offense. An airsoft gun is not a "firearm" or a "weapon." This was incredibly stupid, but I can't say it was incredibly harmful. One game ban plus some extra work over the course of the season (carrying gear, cleaning up, community service) seems to fit the crime.

When I first read what the charges were, I immediately thought they must have beat the s*** out of a guy and had a gun on them, but instead it is them shooting plastic pellets at strangers like dipshit teenagers.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Unlawful use of a firearm will likely be dropped. In Oregon air soft guns aren't classified as firearms. They are classified as ""replica's".

To go along with STU post.
Anatinae
One Star Recruit

Post by Anatinae »

Reminds me of Pharaoh Brown and the snowball fight.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I imagine Coach Cristobal saying something to the effect of, "They what now?!" when hearing the news...before steam came out his ears...

Hopefully they and the rest of the guys learn from it. Shooting anything makes it very possible someone shoots back.

From a fan perspective, hopefully they are only out a game.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Wow no bueno. To be honest, I'll be surprised if they play in Columbus. It's not a real gun but still pretty serious.