Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Post by buckmarkduck »

rsbgduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I mean, what if they shot a guy, he slipped and fell into traffic, causing a huge pile up. Then a tire got thrown from a car, rolls across the road and knocks out Thibs for the year. We can play the what if game all day, but it’s the what really happened game that matters. And it wasn’t enough to keep them out for any longer. They are back!
So by your logic, a player gets a DUII but doesn’t hurt him/herself or someone else he/she should be able to role into practice the next day…. :roll:

Wow. Shooting a air soft gun compared to a Duii? I get the word gun triggers some people, but let’s stay on point here. They shot a plastic ball at some guy. It’s not even comparable.

And again, the facts have been given to Mario and the AD. They have reviewed it all, and have allowed both players to start practicing.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I mean, what if they shot a guy, he slipped and fell into traffic, causing a huge pile up. Then a tire got thrown from a car, rolls across the road and knocks out Thibs for the year. We can play the what if game all day, but it’s the what really happened game that matters. And it wasn’t enough to keep them out for any longer. They are back!
So by your logic, a player gets a DUII but doesn’t hurt him/herself or someone else he/she should be able to role into practice the next day…. :roll:

Wow. Shooting a air soft gun compared to a Duii? I get the word gun triggers some people, but let’s stay on point here. They shot a plastic ball at some guy. It’s not even comparable.

And again, the facts have been given to Mario and the AD. They have reviewed it all, and have allowed both players to start practicing.
Still didn’t answer
Gun wasn’t a trigger, I’m a very proud owner of firearms and respect the responsibility that comes with them, just trying to get clarification on an ignorant rebuttal of “what if’s”.
Plastic pellets that travel 400fps. My xbow only shoots 370fps so I guess if I put a rubber blunt tip on a bolt and went around shooting people with it no big deal? It’s not a gun, nor is it a bullet and it won’t kill you, it will leave a mark.The point was it’s the act of driving under the influence, just like it’s the act of pulling a gun on someone, regardless of type and the projectile. What if’s play a huge role in everyday life. People wear their seatbelt because of what if’ they get in an accident.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

rsbgduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:

Still didn’t answer
Gun wasn’t a trigger, I’m a very proud owner of firearms and respect the responsibility that comes with them, just trying to get clarification on an ignorant rebuttal of “what if’s”.
Plastic pellets that travel 400fps. My xbow only shoots 370fps so I guess if I put a rubber blunt tip on a bolt and went around shooting people with it no big deal? It’s not a gun, nor is it a bullet and it won’t kill you, it will leave a mark.The point was it’s the act of driving under the influence, just like it’s the act of pulling a gun on someone, regardless of type and the projectile. What if’s play a huge role in everyday life. People wear their seatbelt because of what if’ they get in an accident.
An AirSoft pellet weighs 0.2 grams and at 400 FPS will deliver ~1/83 the force of a 285 grain arrow at 370 FPS. That’s just using an online calculator without adjusting for the material, aerodynamics, or surface area of the end of the projectile. I assume those are all in favor of the bolt. That’s why one is a deadly weapon and another is a toy. I don’t think I need to compare the number of DUII deaths and injuries to AirSoft.

No one said it’s not a big deal. That’s why they have had to show up in court, will face legal and financial consequences which include a criminal record, and have been punished with suspensions.

Hill and James made dumb decisions. They hurt the community and endangered themselves. They’ve been punished. You can disagree with whether the punishment was appropriate. For me it seems about right, without knowing other internal consequences.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:

Still didn’t answer
An AirSoft pellet weighs 0.2 grams and at 400 FPS will deliver ~1/83 the force of a 285 grain arrow at 370 FPS. That’s just using an online calculator without adjusting for the material, aerodynamics, or surface area of the end of the projectile. I assume those are all in favor of the bolt. That’s why one is a deadly weapon and another is a toy. I don’t think I need to compare the number of DUII deaths and injuries to AirSoft.

No one said it’s not a big deal. That’s why they have had to show up in court, will face legal and financial consequences which include a criminal record, and have been punished with suspensions.

Hill and James made dumb decisions. They hurt the community and endangered themselves. They’ve been punished. You can disagree with whether the punishment was appropriate. For me it seems about right, without knowing other internal consequences.
I am comfortable with the punishment also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The punishment was fine. And I did answer you. A DUI is much more severe and not even worth talking about in comparison. Get a DUI, you should be done for the year.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

For the most part in cases like this you don’t punish people for what “could” have happened. All sorts of thing can put an eye out or seriously hurt someone but we don’t punish people for doing them. Things like DUIs are different because driving drunk is so objectively dangerous to the perpetrator and everyone on the road.

People use airsoft guns for the express purpose of shooting each other with them. That’s what they’re designed for. Obviously their use of them in this case was way out of line and showed incredibly poor judgement, and they should be punished accordingly. Which they are, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justin_f
One Star Recruit

Post by justin_f »

rsbgduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:

Still didn’t answer
Incoherent dribble. Huh?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Honestly pretty remarkable how little pushback there has been for this when compared to the outrage at the AUDACITY of Chip bringing Blount back for an important game after sitting him the entire season.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ if that had been a PAC 12 network game against Colorado mid season, he would have been suspended 1 game and maybe it would come up in a story here or there before the draft

It was the only game on, 2 full days prior to the start of the rest of the regular season. ESPN just had nothing else to talk about for a full 48 hours. Sucky timing for Blount really
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ if that had been a PAC 12 network game against Colorado mid season, he would have been suspended 1 game and maybe it would come up in a story here or there before the draft

It was the only game on, 2 full days prior to the start of the rest of the regular season. ESPN just had nothing else to talk about for a full 48 hours. Sucky timing for Blount really
It was after the punch where Blount lost total control and Frost had to basically tackle him while he was going after fans that pushed it over the edge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

UofDuck wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:^ if that had been a PAC 12 network game against Colorado mid season, he would have been suspended 1 game and maybe it would come up in a story here or there before the draft

It was after the punch where Blount lost total control and Frost had to basically tackle him while he was going after fans that pushed it over the edge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And we have it all on video, we don't have that of the incident with James and Hill. It makes it so much worse usually.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James arrested

Post by GoDucksTroll »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Dumb, and dangerous for all involved. Mostly themselves.

Legal aspect: they will get a slap on the wrist. Community service, court. This is surprisingly common, I’ve seen a very similar case. Except a woman was hit in the eye with an air soft pellet and did go to the hospital.

Punishment: One game suspension, maybe even a half. Anything more is probably too harsh unless there is more to it or we don’t know of other discipline issues.

Precedent: Jameis Winston was already suspended when he shot out windows. It was properly and not people, he had an extra game suspension added on.
40 hours of community service. Guilty pleas to one charge in abeyance for one year until completion of the diversion program. Seems reasonable and more or less what I expected. I hope they learned a valuable lesson, and they understand that they risked their lives for something very, very dumb.

Reasonable punishment meted out by Cristobal and the program as well.