Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Post by GrantDuck »

Unfortunately, looking more and more like this is going to be a long term thing.

Mario not ready to be a full SEC style coach yet.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

actually based on what some internal people are saying it is not yet determined how long the suspensions will last. Some things are still being sorted out.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I'd say that 90% of what is going to happen and for how long is in the player's hands. Their response and attitude will radically change both the court's view and the coaches views
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Quietduck wrote:I'd say that 90% of what is going to happen and for how long is in the player's hands. Their response and attitude will radically change both the court's view and the coaches views
It would not be unrealistic for them to plead down and get some community service. I was told this by a lawyer who has handled these types of things. He reiterated that they were not arrested so this likely makes it a misdemeanor. Note he is not handling the case, just gave me his opinion based on what he has read and heard. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

At this point, I'd be shocked if they were released from the team. Without going back through this thread, I don't know how many people here were suggesting that, but it definitely was out there among twitter and podcast pundits. I don't think Cristobal would do that a week after the fact.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:At this point, I'd be shocked if they were released from the team. Without going back through this thread, I don't know how many people here were suggesting that, but it definitely was out there among twitter and podcast pundits. I don't think Cristobal would do that a week after the fact.
I agree, I would be shocked and disappointed if Cristabol released them. Now that time has passed and things have calmed down I agree it is in the players hands and their actions will determine their fates as for as time served.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Legal issue: the big thing is going to be what the exact charges brought by the DA will be. Getting arrested (or cited) is very different from being arraigned. The DA’s office almost always has fewer or lesser charges; the cops will throw a bunch out there and the DA decides what is actually feasible. Whether James and Hill are charged with third degree assault or fourth degree assault is a big difference. One is a Class C felony and the other is a misdemeanor. I don’t know all the facts so I can’t guess which one it will be, I will say that third degree requires (serious) physical injury.

The courts in Oregon move at a glacial pace, so a legal resolution may not align with a football timeline. Cristobal might have to make a decision before the charges are known/reduced/dropped/closed. I didn’t see an arraignment date when I checked the other day.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

rsbgduck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:Rsbgduck, don't you think 6 games + firearms training is a bit excessive? I'm not a gun person by any means, but they weren't even really using guns, right? I read earlier in this thread that it was an airsoft gun that shoots round plastic pellets. Not that it isn't literally a gun, but man... I wouldn't think twice about firing a gun that shoots plastic pellets in my backyard, but a REAL gun that shoots actual bullets? Hell no! These guys were dumb to ride around shooting people with plastic pellets, but I don't see any correlation between that and actual drive-by shootings either in the nature of the act or the likelihood in committing said violence.

Earlier, I said I'd be happy with missing just one half of a game. I stand by that. But maybe this is one of those things where these guys should miss 1-2 games just because what they did was so absurdly dumb... and, like you said, these aren't kids. These are young adults and they SHOULD know better.

I definitely think half of the season is a big heavy-handed though... punishment seems much larger than the crime. And definitely don't see the need for firearms training... doesn't really seem relevant given the specific nature of what happened.
I’m not in LE, but this could come across that way.

I’m no expert, I’ve been around firearms all my life and have been through several training/safety programs including DPSST. I take them and safety handling them very seriously. If I come across as a dick I’m not trying I’m just blunt. I appreciate how you responded. I typed this all out once, when to check on something on a different app and everything was gone when I came back so you’re going to get a somewhat shortened version and terms like “jumping through hoops” is not me making light of anything.
As for the plastic pellets, no they are not going to break skin, they can put your eye out, cause a bicyclist/skateboarder to dart into traffic and there is even a case a few yrs ago of a man having a heart attack. Although those are serious issues that’s not my biggest issue with this. When a gun (these things look like real firearms) is pointed at you (especially from a car) you have a fraction of a second to determine if it’s “real” also in that fraction of a second your brain is trying to figure out fight or flight. If anyone on here questions this I would invite you to contact your local sheriffs office and see if you can participate in an interactive video simulation or an in person field training exercise. I would recommend the in person, they use live rounds that have a plastic bullet with paint and it doesn’t feel good. They are always looking for volunteers. If these two young adults with bright futures had pointed these at a LE officer or someone with a CCP that future more than likely would of come to an end. Most folks who conceal carry do not have FMJ rounds in there sidearms, they are loaded with hollow points and they are extremely unforgiving. Not going to go into why this is. My point is to the severity of what could of happened.
Take a DUII for example, the punishment is based purely on what could have happened according to statistics. Suspended license, diversion, victim groups, AA, etc and depending on all kinds of factors a judge will determine the severity, if you jump through all the hoops (it’s much better to start doing all that before your court appearance) and you have a good driving and criminal record the judge will go with the lower mandatory sentencing. However if you are also representing/management in a company you will more than likely be held accountable by your employer including suspension/termination.
These young men are representing a university, a program and a globally recognized brand. That jersey isn’t free, it comes with a higher standard of responsibility and accountability. IMO they should have a harsher punishment than your average student. If they put in the time and effort off the field I see no issue with 3-4 games, but if they go at it half assed (like I’ve seen way to many people do with DUII diversion) then yes 6 games, you do NOT want this EVER happening again, and yes I’m a believer in making an example, but that’s all for the coaches to determine and I do trust MC to do what he feels is right with info we will never hear about.
I’m not looking to handicap anyone’s career but for God’s sake, there lives could of ended let alone any career. If this had been one of my young adult children the courts would of been the least of there worries. If they had done it while still home well instead of sports after school they would of been participating in victims of gun violence groups, gun safety (they had there fair share anyways) classes and been human targets during field training exercises for all our local departments.
I take gun safety (Bows and crossbows too) and the 2ed Amendment very seriously. That includes nerf, air-soft, paintball, bb/pellet. My grandkids have nerf guns and they must wear safety glasses or goggles, and will loose them for an extended period of time if they shot at someone who’s not “playing”, when they graduate to air soft they will have to have all skin covered plus the glasses, paintball all covered, face shield and no putting paintballs in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (they don’t freeze solid but they harden up A LOT) like my dumbass younger self did ONCE. When they are old enough to take/participate in gun safety/training classes that’s where they will be. I’m rambling now. I’m always down to talk or discuss firearms safety and training with anyone, I don’t argue or debate opinions.
If you want to see if someone wants to change, are serious about making amends, proving they learned from a mistake take away there daily motivation (playing time) put it at the end of a tunnel as the proverbial “light” with some obstacles they have to overcome in order to play again. Granted the obstacles can’t be impossible, those should be determined by a coaches knowledge of the players personality, but the game suspension(s) should be the least of their worries. I agree the punishment can’t be excessive and that’s where the coaches knowledge again should come into play. Me at this age….MC should give me the 6 games. ;)
True
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

Per Eugene Register-Guard;
"Desmond (DJ) James, 20, and Jamal Hill, 20, were each charged Tuesday morning with two misdemeanor counts of reckless endangering and disorderly conduct, and one count of unlawful discharge of a firearm, which is a Class C felony in Oregon"
"Eugene Municipal Court records showed neither person had entered any plea on the charges as of Tuesday afternoon. They are scheduled for a hearing with a judge on Sept. 8."
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Sounds very reasonable to me.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm guessing they'll plead down the one felony charge to a misdemeanor and they just serve probation and do a certain amount of community service. I'd be very surprised if they're available for Ohio State at this point.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I don't see any chance they play or even travel with the team to tOSU. They have not participated in any football activities in weeks and this won't be resolved before September 8th. If everything goes perfectly, maybe they see the field for the first conference game (AZ)?
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

northbeachsf wrote:I don't see any chance they play or even travel with the team to tOSU. They have not participated in any football activities in weeks and this won't be resolved before September 8th. If everything goes perfectly, maybe they see the field for the first conference game (AZ)?
Possibly. Depends what happens in court but most seem to think they will get some community service and probation. If that is the case then Mario may decide how much more time they will be kept from team activities. There will also be some internal things they will have to do as well.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

rsbgduck 's response to my reply.
Great post... lots of good stuff to think about. I may even stand corrected. ;)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
rsbgduck 's response to my reply.
Great post... lots of good stuff to think about. I may even stand corrected. ;)
I appreciate that, seriously it means something to me. I wasn’t trying to correct anyone, everyone is entitled to there opinions. I was just stating mine and why. The why being the severity of what could have happened. ts levelheaded conversations/debates like this that will bring our country back together. Regardless of what happens with the courts I hope these young men truly learn from this and pass that on to as many people as they can and are able to come back, have a productive successful season that extends there careers to the NFL.