Why did the Ducks start the game throwing?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Why did the Ducks start the game throwing?

Post by jimmy12 »

I found it so frustrating. We all knew Washington was BAD in the trenches. Why on earth start the game with so many throws? Don't tell me it's about setting up the run. Either Moorhead was being stubborn or AB was opting out of the run for a pass. I just don't get it. The second half was exactly how we should have been playing it. Look, it was a great result, but man-alive, why? Michigan gave us the playbook. Use it.

Lastly, any OL watching the Ducks should be salivating. This was BIG boy stuff. This is what Mario was trying to build. Thankfully we now have depth. Our IR is better than most of the pac 12.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Why did the Ducks start the game throwing?

Post by pezsez1 »

It's established that AB isn't an elite QB, but let's keep it real -- yesterday was an abnormally bad day for him. He looked terrible right from the start, and the coaches should have started running the ball much sooner than it did. That said, AB was screwing up on throws he normally makes with ease. He's money on the short throws, but last night he was just out of sorts for some reason. It happens.

If normal AB shows up from here on out, we win the rest of our games until the CFP.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’m assuming Moorehead underestimated the effect the rain and wind would have on his QB. He probably didn’t think UW would be so bad vs our run game.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

buckmarkduck wrote:I’m assuming Moorehead underestimated the effect the rain and wind would have on his QB. He probably didn’t think UW would be so bad vs our run game.
If Moorehead was unfamiliar with the UW run defense then he was negligent. Brown was abysmal. Part of me wishes he had stayed atBC and yes I know we are 8-1.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

rockthief wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I’m assuming Moorehead underestimated the effect the rain and wind would have on his QB. He probably didn’t think UW would be so bad vs our run game.
If Moorehead was unfamiliar with the UW run defense then he was negligent. Brown was abysmal. Part of me wishes he had stayed atBC and yes I know we are 8-1.
Call it something of a pet peeve, but I really don't like when fans and media blame the guy on the field. If he or she is on the field, it means they're the best ones at the position. If they're the best ones and they're not very good, that's indisputably the coaches fault. AB being the quarterback is a failure of Cristobal/Arroyo, and if next year is worse (since we'll be going from AB to AB's backups), it's on Cristobal and Moorhead. Their job is literally to find the players who can perform to a certain standard, and if the guy out there isn't doing that, then it's on the coaches.

This is less a rant directed toward you, RT, and more just a general comment.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The run would have been the logical starting point, given the wind off Montlake, yesterday, let alone the ensuing monsoon level rains.

As cold as it was, it's a miracle any balls were caught by a player not wearing gloves.

Catching balls in those conditions are the reason gloves were invented!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Both of those early passes were less then 10 yards and in front of UW's heralded secondary. They weren't challenging the secondary, just trying to establish that they would throw a little before the heavy dose of running. AB didn't see the LB. Of all his faults in passing that is not his normal one and in fact may be the strongest part of his passing game, so I'll go with that interception as being one of those things that sometimes happens to all QBs.
BearlyBalanced
One Star Recruit

Post by BearlyBalanced »

StevensTechU wrote:
rockthief wrote:
Call it something of a pet peeve, but I really don't like when fans and media blame the guy on the field. If he or she is on the field, it means they're the best ones at the position. If they're the best ones and they're not very good, that's indisputably the coaches fault. AB being the quarterback is a failure of Cristobal/Arroyo, and if next year is worse (since we'll be going from AB to AB's backups), it's on Cristobal and Moorhead. Their job is literally to find the players who can perform to a certain standard, and if the guy out there isn't doing that, then it's on the coaches.

This is less a rant directed toward you, RT, and more just a general comment.
preach!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Guys were open, I don’t think it was a bad plan. Just poor execution.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

woundedknees wrote:The run would have been the logical starting point, given the wind off Montlake, yesterday, let alone the ensuing monsoon level rains.

As cold as it was, it's a miracle any balls were caught by a player not wearing gloves.

Catching balls in those conditions are the reason gloves were invented!
It was a miracle Dye only had two hiccups as a result of not wearing gloves in the pouring rain. I get that he's played without gloves on his entire life, but in those weather conditions on saturday, the coaches really need to talk to him. :lol: