What I want to see from Cristobal this season

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: What I want to see from Cristobal this season

Post by UofDuck »

I get you guys, but I remember Deion Sanders electric as a returner and the best corner in the business. Sometime’s the reward is worth the risk. Sometimes it’s not. I don’t blame coaches for walking that fine line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I have to imagine the delta between Wright and Hutson, Redd, JJIII, McGee, etc. isn't large enough to be worth flushing your secondary down the drain for.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I'm hoping Seven ends up back there.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:I have to imagine the delta between Wright and Hutson, Redd, JJIII, McGee, etc. isn't large enough to be worth flushing your secondary down the drain for.
I agree. I love the return game and the boost it can provide, but with our CB depth being what it is I don’t want to see Mykael Wright take the extra special teams hit.

We have enough in the way of options. Redd, Seven, Hutson, maybe Delgado are all guys who can do it. It gives an extra rep to one of those guys and if they get hurt our secondary doesn’t collapse.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: What I want to see from Cristabol this season

Post by duck023 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:And a Pac-12 best running game. We were the best for nearly a decade, no reason we shouldn't be again.
The two reasons why Oregon isn't the running team they have been in the past are Verdell and Dye. I don't know if you guy's remember Whitehead but I'd take Whitehead any day over Dye and Verdell. I would never insult Maurice Morris, Onterio Smith, Jonathan Stewart, Jerimiah Johnson, Lamichael James, Kenjon Barner or Royce Freeman by comparing them with those two. Although I will say Verdell does better against Stanford than DeAnthony Thomas did.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Re: running game.

Fishduck had an article on this. https://fishduck.com/2021/08/has-cristo ... d-will-it/

I never thought Verdell or Dye were exceptional players, because how many actual good opponents have we even faced in the last 3 years. What I'm implying is that yes the duo has amassed a bunch of yards, but they've done it against cupcake competition. Anyways that said, there might be issues with the scheme too, as the fishduck article kind of points to.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I will say I have faith in Cristobal. You are always going to have less running yards when you aren't a spread option or triple option team but what we lack in yards I think we'll make up for in time of possession and the passing game.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ducks5ever wrote:Re: running game.

Fishduck had an article on this. https://fishduck.com/2021/08/has-cristo ... d-will-it/

I never thought Verdell or Dye were exceptional players, because how many actual good opponents have we even faced in the last 3 years. What I'm implying is that yes the duo has amassed a bunch of yards, but they've done it against cupcake competition. Anyways that said, there might be issues with the scheme too, as the fishduck article kind of points to.
You can’t use fish as a source against anything Mario does. The guy has a deep hate for CMC, and still thinks Chip walks on water.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

It's comical to read Fish sometimes. He rails on MC and constantly talks about the fact the offense should be more like what Chip ran , except he forgets the one pesky little thing about the rules being charged since Chip was at UO. He lost any credibility he had left long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:It's comical to read Fish sometimes. He rails on MC and constantly talks about the fact the offense should be more like what Chip ran , except he forgets the one pesky little thing about the rules being charged since Chip was at UO. He lost any credibility he had left long time ago.

It's important to remember that Charles didn't know anything about football schematics when he started and he was quite open about it. Chip is like his first varsity coach in that regard.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:It's comical to read Fish sometimes. He rails on MC and constantly talks about the fact the offense should be more like what Chip ran , except he forgets the one pesky little thing about the rules being charged since Chip was at UO. He lost any credibility he had left long time ago.

It's important to remember that Charles didn't know anything about football schematics when he started and he was quite open about it. Chip is like his first varsity coach in that regard.
Yes and this gives him even less credibility.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote: It's important to remember that Charles didn't know anything about football schematics when he started and he was quite open about it. Chip is like his first varsity coach in that regard.
Yes and this gives him even less credibility.
[/quote]
I appreciated the candor of it early on even if I didn't like the lengthy articles. The problem for me is that there comes a point where you sound smug about things and it was when he started speaking so matter of factly on things that weren't that simple that turned me away.

As for Mario, I want to see us play like we belong in the CFP. It doesn't mean we have to win at Ohio State or even make it to the CFP, but this team shouldn't be playing down to opponents and any losses should be couched in "that was a great game, period."

I want to see a shutout on Defense this year and that the team and program leave no doubt where they belong going forward. The only thing about Mario I'm not "sold" on is whether he can become that big-game coach that we need. He's done everything great so far, but there is still more to come for this program and its time to take that step.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Got it, but regardless of fish himself, the numbers don't lie. I've had questions about how effective CMC's physicality approach really has gone given the lack of production on the ground. Charles makes a good point that we've had very talented offensive linemen so it's either scheme, RB's, or more likely both.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Dye was certainly better last year than as a Fr. I felt he was our best rb honestly. They took far to many carries from him and gave them to Cyrus.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:Dye was certainly better last year than as a Fr. I felt he was our best rb honestly. They took far to many carries from him and gave them to Cyrus.
I'm looking forward to the running game this year. The depth behind CJ and Travis is exciting this year. I'm just really hoping CMC has the team ready for competition this year. I don't want to see a rusty, slow start. Fresno looks ready to play and I hope we can match their level of preparedness.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!