Which was the worst Oregon moment of all time?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Which was the worst Oregon moment of all time?

Post by DuckzRule »

This was a thread I remembered that was asked way back then, I know this is not related to our current season at all but I wanted to ask this out of fun, even tho this will hurt.

Which was the worst moment in Oregon history? I would honestly say a tie between losing to Auburn in the 2011 natty and losing to Stanford in 2012 in our home stadium, albeit I was considering Dixon getting injured too.
DrBradBuss
Junior
GM: Detroit Pistons GM

Re: Which was the worst Oregon moment of all time?

Post by DrBradBuss »

You must be very young.
Maybe you should ask during this century.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Since 2000? Losing to Indiana or the no show to the Vegas bowl vs BYU. Or being left out of the natty in 01, although we played great vs CU, and I doubt we beat an all time great Miami team.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Watching the end of the Toliet bowl with a 0-0 tie
DCfeatherbutt
One Star Recruit

Post by DCfeatherbutt »

You guys ain’t Duck fans.

Musgrave going down undefeated then promptly losing every game the rest of the season is the correct answer here.

Dennis Dixon going down in AZ rates second place.

Signed

57 year old Duck fan for 52 years.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

1. Undefeated Oregon going into the 4th Qtr up two touchdowns vs. Stanford in 2001 and suffering a complete meltdown. I was unable to speak for two days. The wounds did heal and then were re-opened when:

2. Dennis Dixon went down with a season-ending ACL injury in 2007, crushing hopes of what seemed like a certain Heisman campaign and possible National Championship (a bunch of receivers had already gone down).

3. Musgrave going down was terrible, but back then, Duck fans were trained to expect losing eventually, so it didn't hurt as bad. They had already gotten pummeled by USC 14-42 a few games earlier, so I don't think we were exactly expecting a national championship that year.

4. Blount punching Hout after losing to Boise State was terrible in the moment - made me embarrassed to be a Duck fan watching a member of my team act that shamefully.

Honorable mention to the Kellen Clemens knee injury that gave the bowls the excuse they needed not to put 10-1 Oregon into a BCS game.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DCfeatherbutt wrote:You guys ain’t Duck fans.

Musgrave going down undefeated then promptly losing every game the rest of the season is the correct answer here.

Dennis Dixon going down in AZ rates second place.

Signed

57 year old Duck fan for 52 years.

I mean, we were like 6-1 before Miller got hurt also. Then in 93 didn’t O’Neal go down? That was a normal occurrence for Brooks teams. He could only recruit one quality qb per team. Nothing that happened before Bellotti took over, can be classified as worst moment. Bad things were the norm. Brooks had a winning season whipped out due to ncaa violations.

1995 we should have gone 12-0 in reality. Fluke L to Stanford and ASU cost that team.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

How is Dyer not at the top of this list? We had all the momentum in a national championship game until that happened.
I still think we win that game if he doesn’t tear off that run.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

northbeachsf wrote:How is Dyer not at the top of this list? We had all the momentum in a national championship game until that happened.
I did count Oregon losing that natty as one of the worst moments ever.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

DuckzRule wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:How is Dyer not at the top of this list? We had all the momentum in a national championship game until that happened.
Thing is, the Dyer run was at the END of the game, leaving little chance to right the ship... Equally egregious was the Cliff Harris INT no call, or the fumble by Newton... Either of those would be potential game changers.

The fact Oregon was still in it, given the sometimes questionable play calling plus the 12th man provided by the officiating crew, was beyond frustrating.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

woundedknees wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:
Thing is, the Dyer run was at the END of the game, leaving little chance to right the ship... Equally egregious was the Cliff Harris INT no call, or the fumble by Newton... Either of those would be potential game changers.

The fact Oregon was still in it, given the sometimes questionable play calling plus the 12th man provided by the officiating crew, was beyond frustrating.

The play calling was terrible. Chip had a horrible game plan, and called a bad game. That’s why I’ve never been mad about the Dyer thing. Chip lost that game more than AU won it. I’ve never seen anyone game plan, before or sense, TE just let the other teams best player go unblocked in the red zone.

3 games that Chip lost due to his stubbornness , Boise, AU and TOSU. LMJ averaged like 16 ypc vs Boise, and we used him very minimally. All the slow stuff by LGB Boise was ready for, but they had no answer for LaMike. Only Chip could stop him, and he did. I
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Dyer's knee not being down was the most gut-wrenching moment. Seeing it not touch on the slow-motion replay... ugh. Gut punch. Curb stomp. Whatever you want to call it, that's what it was. Just brutal.

What made it even worse though was seeing his ankle in the grass and all the second-guessing that followed. The moment was bad enough, but even to this day we're still left wondering whether we were robbed of a title we had seemed destined to win in that fourth quarter.

My worst Oregon football moments after that:

2) Getting spanked by the Beavs in the 2000 Civil War.
3) The inexplicable 2012 home OT loss to Stanford that kept us out of an extremely winnable national championship game against Notre Dame.
4) The rash of injuries/suspensions to star players immediately before the championship game against Ohio State.
5) Dennis Dixon's injury.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

That time Hines said he wasn't coming..and then he did indeed did not come here.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I became a Duck fan in 97, so I’m not as experienced but still have seen plenty of good and bad

I know this is more recent but that 2012 Stanford loss was the worst for me. I know the Auburn natty loss was painful cause Oregon had momentum but it was a close game and Auburn still was moving the ball a bit down the field and could’ve easily gotten into FG position to make a long FG to win. That 2012 to me was the best team in Oregon history and was the best team in the nation that year. They had quality NFL talent all over both sides of the ball, they were just extremely dominant and they had a great coach in Chip. That team was crushing teams by halftime in their sleep. In that Stanford game, Oregon made a crazy amount of small mistakes starting with DAT not simply running between Marcus and a defender. Oregon just came out thinking they’d win, and almost did, but a ton tiny uncharacteristic mistakes was enough for Stanford to steal one.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

It wasn't the worst moment but this thread reminded me of the Alamo bowl loss to TCU. Possibly the most embarrassing.