Which was the worst Oregon moment of all time?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Re: Which was the worst Oregon moment of all time?

Post by Zyme »

DCfeatherbutt wrote:You guys ain’t Duck fans.

Musgrave going down undefeated then promptly losing every game the rest of the season is the correct answer here.

Dennis Dixon going down in AZ rates second place.

Signed

57 year old Duck fan for 52 years.
Dennis in Tempe was heartbreaking. #1 for me.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

This thread is depressing.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:1. Undefeated Oregon going into the 4th Qtr up two touchdowns vs. Stanford in 2001 and suffering a complete meltdown. I was unable to speak for two days. The wounds did heal and then were re-opened when:

2. Dennis Dixon went down with a season-ending ACL injury in 2007, crushing hopes of what seemed like a certain Heisman campaign and possible National Championship (a bunch of receivers had already gone down).

3. Musgrave going down was terrible, but back then, Duck fans were trained to expect losing eventually, so it didn't hurt as bad. They had already gotten pummeled by USC 14-42 a few games earlier, so I don't think we were exactly expecting a national championship that year.

4. Blount punching Hout after losing to Boise State was terrible in the moment - made me embarrassed to be a Duck fan watching a member of my team act that shamefully.

Honorable mention to the Kellen Clemens knee injury that gave the bowls the excuse they needed not to put 10-1 Oregon into a BCS game.
Easy top 2, totally agree. I'd throw in our Stanford loss at home with Mariota too. That would be 3rd for me.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Some that will probably not be on the common list, but particularly stung in the moment:
-Loss to Indiana @ home.
-Loss to AZ @ home when we got blown out and their RB pwned us. Not sure what year it was. Gronk was on their team too.
-Loss to Wake Forest in the bowl game. Not sure why but that one sucked. Early 2000s.
-Loss to Beavs @ home in double OT, breaking the streak of home wins. Same year the DD had gone down, capping a depressing end to once amazing season.
-Conecutive blowouts by Wazzu and another team (forget who) @ home after 4-0 start with Fife.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

1. The Auburn game
2. The 2001 Stanford game- if only DAT had thrown a block
3. DD going down at ASU
4. The TCU meltdown
5. The loss at OS under Taggart- he was out the door then
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Myles Wade and Simi Fili from the 2007 recruiting class both not qualifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Myles Wade and Simi Fili from the 2007 recruiting class both not qualifying.

ha!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Myles Wade and Simi Fili from the 2007 recruiting class both not qualifying.

And Justin Thompson too. All were 5 stars or close to it.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Some that will probably not be on the common list, but particularly stung in the moment:
we got blown out and their RB pwned us. Not sure what year it was. Gronk was on their team too.
38-16 loss to a very mediocre Arizona team in 2006. #1 Ohio State played #2 Michigan at the same time and it was rainy at Autzen. Most of us fans just went into the MO and watched that game instead.

-Conecutive blowouts by Wazzu and another team (forget who) @ home after 4-0 start with Fife.
Lost to ASU. Andrew Walter threw for like 500 yards.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

One of mine is the blowout at autzen by Uw. Man I fn hate Browning. To see him in the bench with hands on head after Oregon winning couple years later priceless.

Saw that he threw a pick6 the other day. Good for him

Dixon going down#1
Stanford #2
Any uw loss #3
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:Some that will probably not be on the common list, but particularly stung in the moment:
we got blown out and their RB pwned us. Not sure what year it was. Gronk was on their team too.
38-16 loss to a very mediocre Arizona team in 2006. #1 Ohio State played #2 Michigan at the same time and it was rainy at Autzen. Most of us fans just went into the MO and watched that game instead.

I was at that Arizona game. I remember the crowd booing the coaches and my daughter having a blown out diaper.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:

Ya, I was there the whole game. It felt a lot worse than 38-16. One of the worst ever. It got so bad that me and my friend decided in the 4th quarter to troll duck fans around us and pretend to be closet Wildcat fans. We pissed off a handful of duck fans. It was great.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Let me preface my response by saying I got into the Ducks in 94 (Thanks, Kenny!) and really started caring in 98 (Thanks, Akili!) so there are likely more older memories that I have no recollection of or don't hold as much weight to me when it comes to this discussion.

My Top 5 (no order)

- Dennis Dixon torn ACL in 2007

When Dennis went down against ASU, I thought he'd be fine. He returned the next week at Arizona and it was clear he wasn't fine and our dream season was over. 07 was ripe for the picking. So many upsets. So many non-traditional powers ranking in the Top 5. Dennis would have been Oregon's first Heisman winner. I'm also certain that 07 team brings home the National Championship as well.

- Stanford in 2001

The Autzen streak ended. And, it turns out, the chance to play for the National Championship ended that day as well. I was devastated after that loss, especially the way in which it went down. Looking back, it was incredibly flukey (two blocked punts back to back), but it doesn't take away any of the sting.

- Stanford in 2012

Like 2007, 2012 was our year to bring home the Natty. Oregon runs all over Notre Dame if the Ducks don't stub their toes against Stanford. There are a lot of things that stick out about this one, but it's the missed block on Mariota's run, leading to a turnover on downs which stings the most.

- Auburn in 2010

So many missed opportunities. Dyer was down. The comeback that wasn't. A fantastic game that I bet Chip and his staff would love to have back.

- Ohio State in 2014

To lose is one thing, but to get blown out is another. Injuries really caught up to Oregon and this defeat turned out to be the end of an era. Coming from the highs of the Rose Bowl victory over Florida State to the lows of the National Championship game hurts.

(Dis)Honorable Mention

- UCLA in 1998

My first year as a die-hard Duck fan. The back and forth. Tying the game in the closing seconds only to lose on a last-second field goal after a successful deep ball.

- Wisconsin in 2000

This had a chance to be an absolute statement win for a Ducks team that would turn out to become very, very good. I think Michael Bennett is still running at Camp Randall.

- Arizona State in 2002

Another end of an era game. This game was radio-only so listening to the collapse of a large first-half lead was brutal. Andrew Walter, Shaun McDonald ... wash, rinse, repeat. Our young DBs were exposed and a once-undefeated Top 10 ranked team went on to lose to Wake in the Seattle Bowl.

- Washington State in 2003

Embarrassing. No other way to put it. Oregon was coming off of a monumental upset of Michigan the week before, graced the cover of Sports Illustrated, and laid an egg against the Cougs. Making matters worse was the fact I was a freshman at Oregon State, watching this game in my dorm room and hearing cheers from the parking lot of Reser as it all unfolded.

- Indiana in 2004

My first-ever Duck game at Autzen. I'll leave it at that.

- Oklahoma in 2005

The Holiday Bowl already felt like a let down and Oregon played like it. Jeremiah Johnson led a comeback but Brady Leaf's last-minute interception, when a field goal would have forced OT, put am unfortunate end to what was a revival season.

- Cal in 2007

Had Dennis not went down against ASU or the madness of the upsets taking place, this would have been higher on most lists. Losing on a fumble out of bounds off the pylon is a wrenching way to lose.

- Ohio State in 2009

My first-ever trip to a bowl game and it's for all the Roses. And Terell Pryor plays the game of his life. The LGB fumble near the goal line still stings. That was a long car ride back home.

- USC in 2011

Another comeback cut short due to a missed FG. IIRC, No. 2 Oklahoma State had lost at Iowa State the night before and Oregon was set to move up in contention for a BCS Title spot with a win but came out flat.

- Arizona in 2014

It ultimately didn't affect the Ducks' National Championship hopes, but it was a massive upset at the time on a nationally televised game on Thursday night.

- TCU in 2015

Another "end of an era" game for the Ducks. Up 31-0 at half and we Couged it, plain and simple.

- Stanford in 2018

Another flukey loss at home to Stanford. One of the weirdest, most strange games I've ever watched. Seeing how Oregon gave up that lead almost leads to me to believe that we were not meant to win that game.

- Auburn in 2019

When is Oregon going to get over their SEC hump?
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

That time DAT thought it was a good idea to race Mariota instead of block for him still lives in my head rent free. What could have been that year.......
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

ducks5ever wrote:That time DAT thought it was a good idea to race Mariota instead of block for him still lives in my head rent free. What could have been that year.......
We would have absolutely destroyed Notre Dame in the title game that year.

Chip left for the Eagles after that season also. I can't see him leaving after winning a title but he also was later given a show cause so who knows.