Oregon not a national championship contender, lol.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Oregon not a national championship contender, lol.

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I’m watching UCLA v Hawaii and the announcer - Beth Mowins - claims that the pac 12 hasn’t had a national championship contender since the mid 2000s with the UCLA teams featuring Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess playing in 2 national championship games is not enough to be a contender. Man, if only we were as good as those UCLA teams. :lol:
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon not a national championship contender, lol.

Post by duck023 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I’m watching UCLA v Hawaii and the announcer - Beth Mowins - claims that the pac 12 hasn’t had a national championship contender since the mid 2000s with the UCLA teams featuring Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush.

I guess playing in 2 national championship games is not enough to be a contender. Man, if only we were as good as those UCLA teams. :lol:
It's ladies like these that somehow get to the top with no sports knowledge that make other woman who work hard look bad.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush, two UCLA legends.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:I’m watching UCLA v Hawaii and the announcer - Beth Mowins - claims that the pac 12 hasn’t had a national championship contender since the mid 2000s with the UCLA teams featuring Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush.

It's ladies like these that somehow get to the top with no sports knowledge that make other woman who work hard look bad.
She's a good PxP but that was a dumb comment on her part. It happens in Week 1.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I thought this was gonna be about us not being featured prominently in lists that show who can win the natty this year, not a ridiculous false claim, but yeah, that person clearly never saw those painful Auburn and Ohio State games.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:

She's a good PxP but that was a dumb comment on her part. It happens in Week 1.
I'd understand if she said something like, "Arizona St. hasn't been national title contenders." forgetting about the great Jake Plummer team in 1996. However to forget about the Chip Kelly teams, Lamichael James, and Mariota makes me think she just doesn't watch the sport. Chip Kelly was the head coach of the Eagles for a reason and Mariota was the 2nd pick in the draft for a reason. Even if you cover just the NFL you should know that Oregon were contenders.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Beth Mowens :lol: :lol: :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

As LT once said, “don’t smoke crack.”
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

duck023 wrote:

Let's not do this. Judging a group of people based on one person's comments is never the move.

Also, as others have pointed out, it was Week 1.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:

Let's not do this. Judging a group of people based on one person's comments is never the move.

Mowins is fairly knowledgable on the whole.
The 'sideline reporter' types can vary greatly in their knowledge but they're not exactly breaking down in depth the differences in nickel and dime base packages or a bear front vs a 3-4 front etc.

I'm honestly curious to see the research that shows having a token female (not Rachel Nichols, Beth Mowins etc) is seen favorably. I'd rather have 72 year old Berman and Ditka up there than a 24 year old recent ASU grad personally.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

DmoneyDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:

What are you talking about? No one is judging an entire group unless that entire group is "sportscasters who are woefully inept or under-prepared". I think the point Duck23 is making is in a field that is dominated by men, having an incompetent woman in the limelight does a disservice to those women that put forth the effort and have the knowledge.

Also using "week 1" as an excuse is laughable. I am a casual CFB fan and I am not stupid enough to go to a party and say, "The BIG12 hasn't had a team in the college football playoff or BCS since the Vince Young teams at Texas Tech." Why? Because I, as a casual fan, have a basic knowledge of the sport and understanding of teams, conferences, and top players in recent years. For someone who is PAID to be one of the experts in a NATIONAL BROADCAST to make a mistake similar to that is inexcusable. If she doesn't know that Oregon has played in 2 championship games (after 10+ years of calling football games) in week 1 she is not going to magically gain that knowledge in week 2, 3, 4, etc. Not to mention she is calling a UCLA game and in the week prior she is supposed to prep by brushing up on the history of the teams. Saying Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart went to UCLA has to be infuriating to UCLA fans.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:

What are you talking about? No one is judging an entire group unless that entire group is "sportscasters who are woefully inept or under-prepared". I think the point Duck23 is making is in a field that is dominated by men, having an incompetent woman in the limelight does a disservice to those women that put forth the effort and have the knowledge.

Also using "week 1" as an excuse is laughable. I am a casual CFB fan and I am not stupid enough to go to a party and say, "The BIG12 hasn't had a team in the college football playoff or BCS since the Vince Young teams at Texas Tech." Why? Because I, as a casual fan, have a basic knowledge of the sport and understanding of teams, conferences, and top players in recent years. For someone who is PAID to be one of the experts in a NATIONAL BROADCAST to make a mistake similar to that is inexcusable. If she doesn't know that Oregon has played in 2 championship games (after 10+ years of calling football games) in week 1 she is not going to magically gain that knowledge in week 2, 3, 4, etc. Not to mention she is calling a UCLA game and in the week prior she is supposed to prep by brushing up on the history of the teams. Saying Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart went to UCLA has to be infuriating to UCLA fans.
You've clearly never had to do PxP to be this upset about a simple faux pas.
justin_f
One Star Recruit

Post by justin_f »

Duck07 wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:

You've clearly never had to do PxP to be this upset about a simple faux pas.
I'd get fired at my job for being as unprepared as her, but I have a real professional job

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:

I was just saying I think there are woman that know the sport better than her and she needs to step up her game. There is another play by play lady in basketball that knows every thing about the sport. You should know the last 10 championship games just casually.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Likely referring to Doris Burke. She's a top 5 commentator in my opinion regardless of gender.