Boundary vs. Field CB

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

chapelhillduck
Senior

Boundary vs. Field CB

Post by chapelhillduck »

Haven’t really thought much about this before, but aside from where they are on the field, are there different skill sets the staff looks for in a boundary vs. field cornerback? Does the “better” player get put on the field side bc more room to cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Re: Boundary vs. Field CB

Post by Duck07 »

Yes, field plays outside and will be tasked with the most 1 on 1 coverage in open space. Boundary plays opposite and usually operates on the short side of the field and in crowded zones.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

It’s interesting. There is debate on whether to play the better cover corner at boundary or field - the QB (in theory) throws to the short side of the field more often (shorter throw) but the field corner has more ground to cover. Oregon starts the better cover man on the wider field side.
2019 Field: Graham Boundary: Lenoir
2020 Field: Wright Boundary: Lenoir

If the ball is on the far hash it makes sense, but when it’s near centered I’ll have to keep an eye to see how precise they line up. I’ve never given it much thought before, just assuming the better CB gets more space.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

There is a difference in how much press one plays versus the other, so yes, there is a difference in skill sets
That said, I don't think it's something you would recruit to specifically.