Post Fresno State- Where Do We Stand?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post Fresno State- Where Do We Stand?

Post by thatbpguy »

I'll start by saying this is predicated on Thib playing at OSU.

Offense- Poor with little hope of improving. Mario is stuck on playing the same unimaginative offense. 95% runs between the tackles into a stacked box. Brown is the QB he has always been. Mediocre and safe. Average passer at best. It concerns me that he needs time to find a receiver and we're using empty backfield sets. Afraid to throw down field so opposing defenses will squeeze in on us. Sure, we'll beat up on a few teams but overall the coaching and play calling is just flat out poor.

Defense- Promising. The DB's play way too far off and teams can throw for 7-12 yards any play they want to with little fear of being pressured- Mario defense. But that can be corrected. D-Line and LB corps are decent. We were lost when Thib went out, but I thought late in the game we started blitzing better and got some confidence. And they can get better. I have some hope here.

Special teams- Good. We have a decent punter, FG kicker and cover well.

Overall, unless we make substantial changes, I see us with 3 to 4 losses. If the coaches can wake up make necessary changes we can have a 1 to 2 loss season and a decent bowl game. I think the playoffs are out of the question.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Re: Post Fresno State- Where Do We Stand?

Post by DuckzRule »

As I have said, for now I'm eyeing an Oregon vs Iowa Rose Bowl, but at this rate we'll probably end up in a mediocre bowl like the Sun Bowl or the Holiday Bowl.

At this rate we'll never make the playoffs.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

DuckzRule wrote:As I have said, for now I'm eyeing an Oregon vs Iowa Rose Bowl, but at this rate we'll probably end up in a mediocre bowl like the Sun Bowl or the Holiday Bowl.

At this rate we'll never make the playoffs.
Totally agree.
duckmaster
One Star Recruit

Post by duckmaster »

Hard to see how this offense improves. It's the same offense that they ran with Justin Herbert in 2019, but instead of a future All Pro QB and senior laden offensvie line, it's a journeyman running back pretending to play QB and a middling OL.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

duckmaster wrote:Hard to see how this offense improves. It's the same offense that they ran with Justin Herbert in 2019, but instead of a future All Pro QB and senior laden offensvie line, it's a journeyman running back pretending to play QB and a middling OL.
Honestly, our offense felt less clunky with Shough at the helm last year….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duckmaster
One Star Recruit

Post by duckmaster »

whosyourwally wrote:
duckmaster wrote:Hard to see how this offense improves. It's the same offense that they ran with Justin Herbert in 2019, but instead of a future All Pro QB and senior laden offensvie line, it's a journeyman running back pretending to play QB and a middling OL.
Honestly, our offense felt less clunky with Shough at the helm last year….

Should looks like a million bucks tonight at TTU
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

Yeah, I can't see a path to offensive improvement. We'll go as far as its patheticness takes us.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I am starting to think that Shough was not the problem.
Play calling is soooooo conservative. As a result, we will be in a lot of close games. That is problematic because a few bounces the wrong way and you lose.

We don’t get 3 turnovers on the plus side of the field and we lose this game.

Secondary was really bad today. Hopefully we get Hill and James back next week, because we couldn’t cover anyone today.

Linebackers were awesome and Verdell ran hard.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

This is just frustrating. Hopefully they're just shaking the cobb webs off. These guys are picking up right where they finished last season.

I don't know what sucks more right now, QB AB or the OL. However this doesn't matter. Unless both the OL AND QB can play well, the offense is going to be hard to watch.

"well why can't we use the 4th quarter Verdell and Dye to win games"
Answer: That's because it took them 3 quarters of running into a brick wall to soften it up for the 4th quarter. This will work against weaker pac-12 competition but not against better teams. It still blows my mind that anyone would think that it would be a good idea to run a <200 pound back between the tackles. That means they're mostly counting on the OL to generate the push..... except our OL can't really do that.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

In the 90's Oregon would have these tough games against Utah who were very similar to Fresno St at that time and they would still have great seasons. Brown played badly but he does have some strengths(for example he might be the best short yardage quarterback Oregon has had since Masoli). He can't play much worse than that game I'm sure he'll play better in the next games and improve. The defense was actually pretty good it's just the offense left them on the field with no momentum for most of the game.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Who would have thought a bunch of fans hate a win...go figure
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Wherever we stand, it’s a hell of a lot better than where UW is lol. Down 10-7 to the mighty Grizz
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

5$ wrote:Who would have thought a bunch of fans hate a win...go figure
Nuance is hard?

That we pulled it out was relieving; how we won, given who we play next week, was very concerning.

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

buckmarkduck wrote:Wherever we stand, it’s a hell of a lot better than where UW is lol. Down 10-7 to the mighty Grizz
I hope they ducking lose, or minimum get embarassed.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

Yeah, watching UW struggle. I hope they lose. Montana is one level up from a JC team.