Post Fresno State- Where Do We Stand?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Post Fresno State- Where Do We Stand?

Post by pezsez1 »

Woke up this morning happier about the UW game than our game. Hahahaha, stupid Huskies.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck

Post Fresno State- Where Do We Stand?

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:The largest concern long term is that our OL sucked out loud for most of the game. Pass protection in particular was bad.
I watched the 4th quarter live, and had to watch replays for the first three quarters, but this was my biggest takeaway. When the line gets reset a yard back and there is no hole, don't blame the running back. And when your QB has a collapsing pocket every dropback, don't blame him for not throwing down field. It's actually amazing he threw zero picks, in my opinion. Brown wasn't stellar, but he wasn't bad. If he turns the ball over (which is what the freshmen quarterbacks would have almost assuredly done under pressure, maybe multiple times), Oregon loses. The offensive line is a problem.
I’m curious, why was the Oline so bad? Not strong enough? Poor technique? Not focused? I know Fresno St is no slouch but as someone who is nowhere near a football expert I just wonder why the OLine struggled.
Very valid question and I think we’re all wondering that as well.

One other thing, FSU is always a formidable opponent. I get frustrated with Duck fans when we (not all of us) dismiss an opponent. Many fans of that team up north dismissed Montana as ‘ a JV team’ and look what happened. Not only is it disrespectful and immature but often times it results in you getting your a$$ handed to you.

I was worried all week the ducks might be overlooking FSU and I can’t say they were or weren’t but there certainly were some troubling aspects to what we saw yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Yea, I got flack on this board for saying Fresno would compete to be in the top half of the Pac-12 because they have more offensive firepower than most P12 schools. I think we can all see that it's less speculation and more or less a factual take now.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Yea, I got flack on this board for saying Fresno would compete to be in the top half of the Pac-12 because they have more offensive firepower than most P12 schools. I think we can all see that it's less speculation and more or less a factual take now.
You were spot on.

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

StevensTechU wrote:Yea, I got flack on this board for saying Fresno would compete to be in the top half of the Pac-12 because they have more offensive firepower than most P12 schools. I think we can all see that it's less speculation and more or less a factual take now.
The UCLA v Fresno game next week might tell us a little more about the game Oregon just played and how UO stacks up against the rest of conference.

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lmduck wrote:
You were spot on.

Agreed. They were stout and experienced on both lines and their QB was very good.

That said, the score could have easily been wider. If CJ Verdell doesn't slip, or the Ducks just kick a FG on 4th down, that would have increased the margin from 7 to 10-14. Also, the Ducks were driving at the end and could have scored again rather than running the clock out.

There's definitely work to be done in all areas. Still, I've heard many coaches say that the most improvement from a team comes between week one and week two. Fresno State had a chance to to play a game while we were opening our season.

We'll see how we play next week and take it from there.

I hope we don't run into a trap at Ohio State by looking ahead to the Stony Brook game. :)
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I just want to add one more thing about this game to the discussion- Brown's performance in the 4th quarter basically makes him the anti-Shough. Whereas Shough melted down when the pressure was on, Brown had his best drives in that situation. He also didn't have any plays where he threw it right at a defender. Really quite the funny opposite, despite leaving something to be desired.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

PAC-12 lost 4 home games this weekend, ouch.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

whosyourwally wrote:
The UCLA v Fresno game next week might tell us a little more about the game Oregon just played and how UO stacks up against the rest of conference.

The 2021 Chip Kelly offense looks like it has mutated into a pretty efficient and formidable machine. Games next week will definitely bring some clarity for both Oregon and UCLA. Kelly has a lot of experienced players that have bought in and let’s face it, the superior offensive mind. Oregon has a talented roster, as of right now would have a tough time hanging. Oregon has played one game, UCLA has played two. Lots of Questions about offensive philosophy, QB/OL effectiveness to be answered in the coming week that will define where this season goes. I would like to see the Mesquite Homeboy, Ty
Thompson get some time.

Still a little early to pay attention to the usual doom and gloomers, lots of games left.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

duckmaster wrote:
whosyourwally wrote:
duckmaster wrote:Hard to see how this offense improves. It's the same offense that they ran with Justin Herbert in 2019, but instead of a future All Pro QB and senior laden offensvie line, it's a journeyman running back pretending to play QB and a middling OL.
Honestly, our offense felt less clunky with Shough at the helm last year….

Should looks like a million bucks tonight at TTU
Really? 229 yards total against a crappy Houston team?

FYI, Anthony Brown had 229 yards

Shough was 17/24, Brown 15/24.

Shough also absolutely wrecked us with turnovers last year and was not a good decision maker in the read option game
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

StevensTechU wrote:I just want to add one more thing about this game to the discussion- Brown's performance in the 4th quarter basically makes him the anti-Shough. Whereas Shough melted down when the pressure was on, Brown had his best drives in that situation. He also didn't have any plays where he threw it right at a defender. Really quite the funny opposite, despite leaving something to be desired.

THIS!!

Our WR just weren't getting separation. Brown missed Pittman on a crossing route on a 3rd down, missed a little high on another throw and was a bit low to Pittman on the throw to the end zone from the 5. Outside of that, he had good pocket presence, scrambled when needed and didn't force throws into coverage. He was poised when the game was on the line and not only converted the game winning 4th down but got a long TD run out of it.

Shough had the potential for the same against: Cal and OSU and couldn't and also had the opportunity to put the game away against USC and UCLA and couldn't do that either. He was 0 for 4 in clutch games and had multiple drives to do so against UCLA, Cal and OSU so was at least 0 for 7 in clutch drives last year.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Only saw it during the game, but it felt like the endzone throw to Pittman was pretty perfectly placed.

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:Only saw it during the game, but it felt like the endzone throw to Pittman was pretty perfectly placed.

It was and the announcers (whoever they were) even commented that Pittman should have caught that.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Qb11 and Hyth did a game review. And Webb was abysmal blocking. Most of the issues are his and Jones blocking or lack their of. Terrible. Webb shouldn’t play again. I’d rather see a 3rd string DE playing there. A lot of plays where guys get hit in the backfield are Webb’s guy, as he half heartedly try’s to block them.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Qb11 and Hyth did a game review. And Webb was abysmal blocking. Most of the issues are his and Jones blocking or lack their of. Terrible. Webb shouldn’t play again. I’d rather see a 3rd string DE playing there. A lot of plays where guys get hit in the backfield are Webb’s guy, as he half heartedly try’s to block them.
Who are Qb11 and Hyth? Sorry I am not familiar with them.