An anonymous comment from a Pac-12 coach sticks out to me.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wepto
Four Star Recruit

An anonymous comment from a Pac-12 coach sticks out to me.

Post by wepto »

A quote from an anonymous Pac-12 coach, from Athlon's article here:
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... s-for-2021

"... When you watch them it’s a blend of a lot of stuff, I’m not sure how much of that is [Joe] Moorhead sometimes. You see a lot of influence from [Jim] Mastro, a lot of pistol stuff."

----

So far, the Moorhead offense looks a lot like the Arroyo offense. Admittedly, Arroyo's screens have given way to Moorhead's QB runs. But all the A gap runs from the pistol have stuck around. At this point I think it is reasonable to conclude that Cristobal is meddling with the offense too much--and that he just isn't as good at it as he thinks he is. I don't want to be overly negative towards Coach Cristobal, he is still the best recruiter in the Pac-12, but I do hope he recognizes his own strengths better and moves a towards being a little bit more of a CEO type coach.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: An anonymous comment from a Pac-12 coach sticks out to m

Post by StevensTechU »

I 100% agree, though I think it may be that Moorhead is giving Mastro too much credit regarding the pistol garbage.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The pistol worked once because they had a freak athlete with a rocket for an arm. Without that, it seems like a terrible concept, yet we keep sticking with it. Hope that changes soon.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I was hoping things would look different but they didn't. I still feel like we need to move on from Mastro.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

This is the root of our issues on offense. When the same glaring faults persist through OC changes it’s pretty obvious that there are larger forces at work.

Bringing in Moorehead and forcing him to coach within the confines of MC & Mastro’s pet offense is like hiring a Michelin chef and forcing him to make only dishes from your bar food menu. He’s going to improve your burger and fries but ultimately it’s just a waste of everyone’s time and talents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I think a lot of it yesterday came from ABs decision making, as well as a decent Fresno State secondary.

Regardless of what they run on offense, there has to be a decent run/pass balance.
John 3:36
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm not sure what to make of Arroyo, but we KNOW Moorhead is a competent and proven OC.

Mastro brought this pistol garbage that hasn't worked at all and he hasn't developed a single running back worth half of what UCLA's 2 backs are.

Jim's gotta go. Modern offense please.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GrantDuck wrote:I'm not sure what to make of Arroyo, but we KNOW Moorhead is a competent and proven OC.

Mastro brought this pistol garbage that hasn't worked at all and he hasn't developed a single running back worth half of what UCLA's 2 backs are.

Jim's gotta go. Modern offense please.
I agree completely, in Mario’s stint the Ducks have not had that “stand out” RB. I just can’t come to like Verdell as or Starter, Dye I like but in the role he plays, not our work horse. We need a big, talented back, James was great even if he was not that big, same for Barner, needing a Blount type back….. won’t get into the QB development………. Or the huge miss on Herberts skills.