Visiting Fan Advice

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RedWagon
High School Drop Out

Visiting Fan Advice

Post by RedWagon »

Hello Ducks Fans! I'm in Wisconsin (yes, Badgers fan) but I'm traveling to Oregon in September. It's been a long time since the two schools had a home-ahd-home series but the UW fans that made the trip 20 years ago raved about Oregon, the fans, and Autzen. I'm going to be in Oregon to do some hiking and nature viewing (Crater Lake and Mt. Hood, etc) but I was thinking about taking a detour to Eugene for the Fresno St. game. I am here seeking advice.

1. Is it difficult to get tickets? Also, are your tickets all e-tickets and should I try to do this in advance?
2. What else should I see and do while on campus before a game? I'd love to see the track stadium--is it near Autzen?
3. Any parking advice would be appreciated.

Like I said, I'm a Badgers fan and alum. I love crazy football Saturdays so all advice is welcome. I will be wearing green and yellow, too. Even though we have our Rose Bowl rivalry (or used to), most people around here really like Pac 10 and its schools. I can't wait to visit your state.

One final note, apologies if I posted this in the wrong spot. I don't want to detract from your discussions about your team and schedule.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Visiting Fan Advice

Post by Phalanx »

It has historically been easier to get non-conference tickets for teams like Fresno St, but I am not up on the latest Covid-related measures and how many fans they will let in, etc. Parking is usually not an issue, especially if you are willing to walk a bit, you can usually find a lot for $10 -$15 pretty easily. I'll let somebody with more Eugene experience weigh in on your other questions. I usually just visit family when I am down there.

I am shocked that Wisconsin fans like us after those last two Rose Bowls, but we have a lot of respect for the Badgers, and those were two tough games that Oregon was fortunate to win - especially that last one. The Badgers and Ducks are pretty comparable teams in recent years in terms of success.

Anyway, welcome to the board.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

RedWagon wrote:Hello Ducks Fans! I'm in Wisconsin (yes, Badgers fan) but I'm traveling to Oregon in September. It's been a long time since the two schools had a home-ahd-home series but the UW fans that made the trip 20 years ago raved about Oregon, the fans, and Autzen. I'm going to be in Oregon to do some hiking and nature viewing (Crater Lake and Mt. Hood, etc) but I was thinking about taking a detour to Eugene for the Fresno St. game. I am here seeking advice.

1. Is it difficult to get tickets? Also, are your tickets all e-tickets and should I try to do this in advance?
2. What else should I see and do while on campus before a game? I'd love to see the track stadium--is it near Autzen?

Like I said, I'm a Badgers fan and alum. I love crazy football Saturdays so all advice is welcome. I will be wearing green and yellow, too. Even though we have our Rose Bowl rivalry (or used to), most people around here really like Pac 10 and its schools. I can't wait to visit your state.

One final note, apologies if I posted this in the wrong spot. I don't want to detract from your discussions about your team and schedule.
Welcome! Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

To help with your questons:

1. Tickets for Fresno State should be available. Check online. Tickets this year are e-tickets. All transactions are through Ticketmaster so you are safe in that sense.
2. The track stadium is right on campus. Autzen is off campus, however the walk across from campus is highly recommended as you get a real flavor for a football Saturday in Eugene. You could technically find parking somewhere near the track stadium then walk over to Autzen if you feel so inclined. I do highly recommend it.
3. If you are into hiking and will be spending additonal time in Eugene, Mt. Pisgah and Spencers Butte are great hiking sites.
4. Once you get to the stadium I would suggest a quick look at the Hatfield Dowlin complex. That is football ops center and while you won't be able to get inside (closed on football Saturdays) you can at least see what it looks like. It's certainly gotten it's fair share of press.
5. If you have seen Animal House take a stroll near Johnson Hall in the heart of campus and you will see some familiar looking places from the movie.
6. There is parking at the stadium. I don't know that the cost will be this year. There are also shuttle buses that run from various points in Eugene. Google the Lane County Transit District and there will be info there. The cost of the shuttle is nominal.
7. Check out the Moshofsky Center before the game. That is the indoor practice facility that turns into a large tailgating site with lots of food and drink choices plus music. The team walks through there 90 minutes before game time. Again not sure what kinds of Covid guidelines will be in place but you should be able to at least stroll through there and again get a feel for the armosphere.
8. The weather in Oregon in September is typically beautiful. You have probably seen and heard the fires are taking a toll right now so you will want to stay up to date on that.

Hope this helps and hope you have a great time. I know DUCK fans will treat you right. Good luck to the Badgers this year. You never know, we may see you later in the season! Safe travels and hope you will come back here for any additional questions you may have.
RedWagon
High School Drop Out

Post by RedWagon »

Thanks for the advice so far. It's all very helpful as I've never been to Eugene. Keep any and all recommendations coming.

And, yes, for the most part Badger fans harbor no ill will after the Rose Bowl losses. Both Ducks squads we faced were top-notch. Don't get me wrong, a lot of us felt that we could have won both games but you have to be on top of your game to beat teams like those Oregon squads. Although we are all still wondering how that Abbrederis fumble stayed in bounds. In fact, it's best if it's not mentioned around us Badger fans at all. lol.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

For hikes I would recommend:
- Gorge (Angels Rest)
- Central (Smith Rock, Tamolitch blue pool, South sister, black butte)
- Beach (Drift creek, cape lookout)
- Trail of ten falls

Tickets for the game won't be difficult to get for Fresno. Also, the crowd atmosphere won't be very great as most will be looking ahead to Ohio St the following week.

The walk from Hayward Field (track stadium) to Autzen is probably 45 minutes but would be a very beautiful walk that time of year and provide the full experience walking over the bridge into Autzen.
Track Town Pizza is a fan favorite in between Autzen and Hayward for a post game meal
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Tons of tickets available for Fresno game. I just bought 4 yesterday. PGE park in Portland just announced new COVID procedures, which I expect Autzen with follow also. So be aware of that.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Park around the basketball arena for around 5 to 7 dollars to feed the meter. Walk over the bridge to Autzen there should be a big crowd making the walk. The new track stadium is about three or four blocks from Matthew Knight Arena and is absolutely gorgeous!
The prettiest hike in Oregon is the Blue Pool, it’s a couple hours east of Eugene. The drive out along the McKenzie River is beautiful, but the short hike to the Blue Pool is really stunning. Prettiest spot in Oregon, and you’ll thank me later!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Welcome! I’ve never met an unlikeable Wisconsin fan. Maybe it’s because our two programs have had a similar rise over the last ~30 years and there is mutual respect from the tough football and basketball games over the years.

Imduck and others in the thread have had really good answers to the big questions. Over on Reddit at /r/ducks there are some good visitors guides - I wrote up a big one for tOSU fans in anticipation of our canceled 2020 game.

My favorite place to park is by Track Town Pizza off of Mill Race Dr. There are also big parking lots there that charge $10 for all day parking on game days. They definitely won’t be full for Fresno State in the current climate. Track Town pizza is great, and it’s not just nostalgia. Eugene has pretty good food and beer options, and I’m sure others know more as I only go down for games and wind up hitting the same old haunts.
As others have mentioned our quarter system means students aren’t there in full force yet in early September.

Hikes - I’m much more familiar with the Portland area. Anything in the Gorge is awesome. Angel’s Rest has recently re-opened after devastating fires shut it down. Oneonta Gorge Trail is another beautiful and often times crowded trail. Plenty of waterfalls, and the Washington side isn’t too bad either. Beacon Rock is a popular one. The Sandy, Clackamas, and Molalla Rivers are all gorgeous. If you’re looking for something right in the heart of Portland then check out Mt Tabor or Washington Park/Hoyt Arboretum. I don’t know another city that has old growth forest trails or something like Forest Park minutes from Downtown.

Enjoy your trip! See ya Badgers in the Rose Bowl again, as is willed by the football gods.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your trip. If you are looking for an aggressive hike that either takes all day or is an overnighter, check out Yocum Ridge on Mt. Hood. McNeil point is a great compromise and much shorter. The other advice presented by other fans are great. Good luck!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Tons of tickets available for Fresno game. I just bought 4 yesterday. PGE park in Portland just announced new COVID procedures, which I expect Autzen with follow also. So be aware of that.
Buck actually brings up a great point... I wouldn't be completely surprised if the University opted to require vaccinations to get into Autzen. I don't think it's likely, but it's definitely something I'd keep my eye on if you're not vaccinated. It would suck to go through all the hassle of getting here and then be stopped at the gate.

Regarding hiking... I'd avoid the Columbia Gorge on weekends, but on weekdays it's tolerable if you get there early. The trails are great, but the crowds are insane, and for premier trails like Angels Rest the parking fills up pretty fast on nice days. I grew up hiking in the gorge but now I avoid it like the plague... it feels like outdoor Disneyland when it's busy.

I'd recommend checking out Timothy Lake. The loop trail around the lake is about 12 miles, and it's relatively flat with just small, rolling hills. There are a few campgrounds around the lake with pit toilets but no running water, so bring water with you. It's a beautiful hike though, and the lake is so big that the hike is always peaceful even when busy. The lake is stunning, and you get spectacular views of Mt. Hood. There is also a little spur off the trail that adds an extra mile to the trip which takes you to Little Crater Lake, which is almost worth the trip by itself. (You can also drive to Little Crater Lake if you want to walk just part of the loop trail.)

For a shorter hike, you could probably hike around Trillium Lake and also get awesome mountain views, but I've only snowshoed out there and haven't done an actual loop.

Afterward, your reward could be the Mt. Hood Brewing Company in Government Camp... top-notch beers and pretty good food.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

If you make it as far south as Eugene you might consider checking out the Redwood N.P. just across the border in northern Cal. It is incredible. The southern Oregon coast is also beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

RedWagon wrote:Thanks for the advice so far. It's all very helpful as I've never been to Eugene. Keep any and all recommendations coming.

And, yes, for the most part Badger fans harbor no ill will after the Rose Bowl losses. Both Ducks squads we faced were top-notch. Don't get me wrong, a lot of us felt that we could have won both games but you have to be on top of your game to beat teams like those Oregon squads. Although we are all still wondering how that Abbrederis fumble stayed in bounds. In fact, it's best if it's not mentioned around us Badger fans at all. lol.
Is that fumble the one where Coach Kelly was jumping up and down with his hand on the refs shoulder and no socks on? Hillarious!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Highly recommend the Silver Creek Falls hike. 8 miles and 15 waterfalls I believe.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

RedWagon wrote:Hello Ducks Fans! I'm in Wisconsin (yes, Badgers fan) but I'm traveling to Oregon in September. It's been a long time since the two schools had a home-ahd-home series but the UW fans that made the trip 20 years ago raved about Oregon, the fans, and Autzen. I'm going to be in Oregon to do some hiking and nature viewing (Crater Lake and Mt. Hood, etc) but I was thinking about taking a detour to Eugene for the Fresno St. game. I am here seeking advice.

I don't really have anything to add but I'd like to point out the first Oregon game I watched was when Oregon played at Wisconsin in 2000. That was a great game and even though Oregon lost I was impressed my local Oregon team hanging in there with Wisconsin who won the Rose Bowl the year before fairly easily against Stanford. (although Ron Dayne wasn't there Michael Bennett was hard to stop)
RedWagon
High School Drop Out

Post by RedWagon »

Two things...

1. Congrats on your huge win over O$U. I loved the duck on the O afterward, too.

2. THANK YOU to all that contributed in this thread. I had a great trip and the advice I got here was perfect. PDX > Silver Falls > Eugene > Blue Pool > Crater Lake > Mt Hood > Portland...all were great stops. It was a great tour of the state. The game day advice was great. Silver Falls and Blue Pool were things not on my radar but they were amazing additions.

Thanks again and good luck this year!