Stony Brook @ #4 Oregon (Sept. 18, Sat 4:30 PM Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: Stony Brook @ #4 Oregon (Sept. 18, Sat 4:30 PM Pac-12 Ne

Post by ducks5ever »

Those guys were so lost and confused at the end of the 1st half. This is Stony Brook we're talking about here.... and we take back to back sacks to end the half. Sad!
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

The game was ok, against Stony Brook, the scoring should have been how it was in the second half…but in both halves. Unfortunately there were plenty of instances with SB’s WR’s running free and open. Any competent QB is going to be able to exploit that if the Ducks can’t shore that up…and until the last quarter there was basically no pressure on Fields. The pressure they were getting at the end of the game should have been the story of the game, especially against an undersized and less talented line. The LB play by Sewell was solid tho, and the run game for Oregon was one of the bright spots.

The refs sucked, but that is nothing new. At the end of the UCLA v Fresno game, the Bruins were holding on every single play but the refs never called anything on UCLA for that, but they kept trying to ding Fresno. Something to keep in mind, cause game 8 is in Pasadena, if you think the Ducks will get a fair shake, you are better off visiting Disneyland than going to the game.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Everythingsducky wrote:Forget seeing younger players today. The lack of any LB core is going to kill the Ducks moving forward. Ducks literally have one capable linebacker.
We’ll this was prophetic. :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:A day later my thoughts are mostly this: Our Defense is going to be our calling card this season but its our OL that will dictate if this team makes the CFP or not. They've got to play better or else the Offense is going to stall against better opponents as the season goes on.
I was thinking the same thing this morning. The Oline is actually good at run blocking but their pass protection is so bad for some odd reason, they just get easily confused by a blitz. I think PAC-12 DC’s will be trying the same defense Cal did against Oregon in 2010 and 2011, selling out for the run and playing man coverage and pressing. It worked in 2010 and didn’t work in 2011 because of one reason, De’Anthony Thomas. As great as the Oregon receivers were in 2010 they weren’t amazing at creating immediately separation, but nobody can guard DAT one on one and he had a great game against Cal in 2011 because of that. I think we’re just going to have to expect the Oline to struggle this season in pass protection and PAC-12 defenses will try to exploit that and we’ll need some receivers to have the abilities and athleticism to create immediate separation which I haven’t seen yet so far. I think Oregon might need to play Thornton more as he seems to have the ability to create separation and he looks to be a great runner after the catch.

Defense will get healthier and once KT is back the defense will improve a lot.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I appreciated Coach for being angry. He defends his players and takes action. It seems clear that PAC officials will always be the twelfth player; which team they will favor is a guess We have to incorporate that notion into our play. I wonder if certain PAC officials are worse than others. Do you all remember Glasses? ugh.

The Ducks are doing well with takeaways these three games. The refs reviewed that fumble by SB when it was clearly a strip (another strip!). Considering the speed of players, a strip requires perfect timing by the defender. They likely practice this. Good, because it has paid off.

So many Ducks played that I clearly needed a roster list because I had no idea who they were. This experience bodes will for future games. I believe that many of them will play again soon. Even a few minutes play time is valuable. Hopefully our LBs learned much and tht a couple of them will address the dearth at that position.

Our backup RBs ran with confidence. They appeared to know just what they were doing. They too will play in more games.

The camera crew was excellent. They had some angles on replays that showed clearly what had occurred . I remember watching NFL games when I was a child, watching them with my father. There were no replays back in the 1950s so for us the game was vastly different than it is now.
He would have a couple beers and I sodas. We would eat sardines and saltines. I had no idea then how special that time was.

Go Ducks!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

rockthief wrote:I appreciated Coach for being angry. He defends his players and takes action. It seems clear that PAC officials will always be the twelfth player; which team they will favor is a guess We have to incorporate that notion into our play. I wonder if certain PAC officials are worse than others. Do you all remember Glasses? ugh.

The Ducks are doing well with takeaways these three games. The refs reviewed that fumble by SB when it was clearly a strip (another strip!). Considering the speed of players, a strip requires perfect timing by the defender. They likely practice this. Good, because it has paid off.

So many Ducks played that I clearly needed a roster list because I had no idea who they were. This experience bodes will for future games. I believe that many of them will play again soon. Even a few minutes play time is valuable. Hopefully our LBs learned much and tht a couple of them will address the dearth at that position.

Our backup RBs ran with confidence. They appeared to know just what they were doing. They too will play in more games.

The camera crew was excellent. They had some angles on replays that showed clearly what had occurred . I remember watching NFL games when I was a child, watching them with my father. There were no replays back in the 1950s so for us the game was vastly different than it is now.
He would have a couple beers and I sodas. We would eat sardines and saltines. I had no idea then how special that time was.

Go Ducks!
Ours was saltines and smoked oysters or baby clams...When those ran out, we'd pulled out a bag of Brazil Nuts, and see who could crack em without breaking the nut meat.

Had it not been for the occasional bowl game, I might not have seen a single televised Duck or Beaver game my entire childhood!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

woundedknees wrote:When those ran out, we'd pulled out a bag of Brazil Nuts, and see who could crack em without breaking the nut meat.
Back in the day, I remember my Grandpa using the slang term for those particular nuts. :?
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I think my grandfather used the same term. Let's leave those in the past
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

alxtw wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:Shane Vereen on commentary is painful...
The guy doesn't sounds like a commentator. Glad someone else also thinks the same and his voice is quite annoying to listen to for some reason...
He sounds like Lil Wayne doing commentary...
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Quietduck wrote:I think my grandfather used the same term. Let's leave those in the past
Yes please!That was horrible,a horrible thing say. ALso, I cannot imagine cracking them with my teeth. !!!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Vereen actually had some pretty good commentary just his voice is terrible and whoever the audio mixer was did not do him any favors either.