Where’s a statement from Mario?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: Where’s a statement from Mario?

Post by northbeachsf »

DmoneyDuck wrote:It's time to say it out loud.

The Oregon job is better than the USC job.

This isn't 1995. This isn't 2005. This isn't 2010 after Pete Carroll left a juggernaut.

USC has won the conference one time in the past 12 years, while Oregon has played for two national championships and holds the conferences ONLY CFP victory.

I know tradition holds a ton of weight in college football, but over the past 10+ years, Oregon has been the conference's dominant school. It's time for others in the media to take notice.

^^^^This, combined with the unique position Oregon is to take advantage of the new landscape through NIL deals. There is a reason our two 5* basketball commits chose to play for Oregon instead of taking almost $3M worth of professional contracts. You think our recruiting is good now? Give it a couple years.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:Mario may not himself be looking for more money but he may use this as leverage to get more money for his assistants.
Ohio State just paid us 3.5M and every off-season these things take care of themselves. Mario's agent doesn't need to say that USC is coming, he needs to say that Mario is now a 3x P12 Champ and just took the team to the CFP playoff - that will hold a lot more clout with Rob than "USC is calling."

Otherwise in this Bizzaro world, Mario goes to LA and then Chip comes back to Eugene with a stacked roster because we now need a coach.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

This isn't 1995. This isn't 2005. This isn't 2010 after Pete Carroll left a juggernaut.

USC has won the conference one time in the past 12 years, while Oregon has played for two national championships and holds the conferences ONLY CFP victory.

I know tradition holds a ton of weight in college football, but over the past 10+ years, Oregon has been the conference's dominant school. It's time for others in the media to take notice.

USC hasn’t even been that dominant without Pete. 6 double digit wins since 1980 without him. That’s 2 every ten years if you take away Pete’s run. They’ve had more coaches for those 30 years than 10 win seasons.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

How many players from the southern California culture would be able to stand M.C. discipline and philosophy while living in the capital of distraction along with Sun and surf.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

northbeachsf wrote:

^^^^This, combined with the unique position Oregon is to take advantage of the new landscape through NIL deals. There is a reason our two 5* basketball commits chose to play for Oregon instead of taking almost $3M worth of professional contracts. You think our recruiting is good now? Give it a couple years.
There’s a difference between how good the job is and how well their team is doing at a particular time. Every school is the right coach away from being good. The real question is what are the baked in factors that make it easier for a coach to be the right coach. While Oregon has gained on SC, the Trojans will always have the natural advantages. Access to recruits, a deep donor base, and LA.

If I were guessing, I would say he stays, simply because he is already pretty far down the path of building the team he wants to compete for a NC. He’d have to start that over down there. But he’d probably do it pretty quickly down there.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Report says that, in addition to Helton's $10M buyout, Cristobal's buyout would be around $9M.

https://www.on3.com/news/usc-trojans-fo ... gon-ducks/
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Quietduck wrote:How many players from the southern California culture would be able to stand M.C. discipline and philosophy while living in the capital of distraction along with Sun and surf.
The majority of them.

When I suggest that someone like say Luke Fickell wouldn't be a good culture fit in LA its because he's Catholic and has lived in Ohio pretty much his whole life and it has nothing to do with the football side of things but more about how well does he and his family really like living/working in that region and connect to it? Maybe he's itching to get out and kneecap the new Big 12 in the process.

Tuscaloosa and Eugene as small cities have quite a bit in common and personally I think the "end-game" for a HC that has no NFL aspirations is that you can end up at a place where you have:
Facilities: A+
Recruiting Advantage: A-
Coaching Pay: A
Asst Coaching Pay: A
ADept: A+
Alumni Support: A+
Fan Support: A
Long-Term Stability: A

The only advantage to USC is that his recruiting advantage would go up by virtue of being in a national hot-spot for talent but our recruiting is national and he gets as much support in that regard as he can. There is no facilities advantage, pay would likely be moot and its unsure if SC would pay as much for Assistants as we are. The AD is getting better for them but Rob is the class of the West Coast. Fan Support and Long-term stability at USC come with a higher burden than in Eugene as well.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Report says that, in addition to Helton's $10M buyout, Cristobal's buyout would be around $9M.

https://www.on3.com/news/usc-trojans-fo ... gon-ducks/
This will also be an issue for the poodles if Lake doesn't turn things around this season and test the pockets of the actual donor base.

I bet USC realized that the date at which that 10M decreased to a lower figure wasn't worth the wait of starting their coaching search.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

20M in buyouts is about a month and half's interest on their endowment fund should their pop can drive fall short.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Duck07 wrote:
When I suggest that someone like say Luke Fickell wouldn't be a good culture fit in LA its because he's Catholic and has lived in Ohio pretty much his whole life and it has nothing to do with the football side of things but more about how well does he and his family really like living/working in that region and connect to it? Maybe he's itching to get out and kneecap the new Big 12 in the process.

Tuscaloosa and Eugene as small cities have quite a bit in common and personally I think the "end-game" for a HC that has no NFL aspirations is that you can end up at a place where you have:
Recruiting Advantage: A- [N/A - recruiting "advantage" is really based on how many games you can win - it has a lot less to do with physical location. As far as playing close to home, I wouldn't call the PNW a hotbed for D1 cfb talent]
Coaching Pay: B [CFB coaches are paid well (CMC included), but I wouldn't call his comp A. I think it barely makes the top 25 nationally and he's leading a top 10 program so....]
Long-Term Stability: A [as long as you keep winning]

The only advantage to USC is that his recruiting advantage would go up by virtue of being in a national hot-spot for talent but our recruiting is national and he gets as much support in that regard as he can. There is no facilities advantage, pay would likely be moot and its unsure if SC would pay as much for Assistants as we are. The AD is getting better for them but Rob is the class of the West Coast. Fan Support and Long-term stability at USC come with a higher burden than in Eugene as well.
Fyi I'm not sure how this NIL stuff works. I would imagine that there's more $$ in general in LA to throw at college athletes who are really hitting their stride. If Reggie Bush played at USC today, I would imagine he could make seven figures. Can he do that in Eugene? idk. If USC could fix up its brand, I would imagine there is a ton of NIL $$ that could flow to the athletes. Then again, other quiet college towns like Tuscaloosa and wherever Clemson is, are finding ways to compete on this new playing field.

Even if USC had an NIL advantage, I doubt CMC would go there just for that. I am interested in seeing how some of the D1 teams in major cities (Miami Hurricanes, USC/UCLA, UC Berkeley, Georgia, LSU, and maybe UT [Austin]) perform recruiting wise with NIL in effect. Maybe Northwestern can be added to but not many people in Chicago really follow them.... perhaps the same could be said for USC/UCLA but the money is still there.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

ducks5ever wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Recruiting Advantage: A- [N/A - recruiting "advantage" is really based on how many games you can win - it has a lot less to do with physical location. As far as playing close to home, I wouldn't call the PNW a hotbed for D1 cfb talent]
Coaching Pay: B [CFB coaches are paid well (CMC included), but I wouldn't call his comp A. I think it barely makes the top 25 nationally and he's leading a top 10 program so....]
Long-Term Stability: A [as long as you keep winning]

Fyi I'm not sure how this NIL stuff works. I would imagine that there's more $$ in general in LA to throw at college athletes who are really hitting their stride. If Reggie Bush played at USC today, I would imagine he could make seven figures. Can he do that in Eugene? idk. If USC could fix up its brand, I would imagine there is a ton of NIL $$ that could flow to the athletes. Then again, other quiet college towns like Tuscaloosa and wherever Clemson is, are finding ways to compete on this new playing field.

Even if USC had an NIL advantage, I doubt CMC would go there just for that. I am interested in seeing how some of the D1 teams in major cities (Miami Hurricanes, USC/UCLA, UC Berkeley, Georgia, LSU, and maybe UT [Austin]) perform recruiting wise with NIL in effect. Maybe Northwestern can be added to but not many people in Chicago really follow them.... perhaps the same could be said for USC/UCLA but the money is still there.
Major cities obviously have an advantage. But how much money is based in Tuscaloosa? Donors and the base, regardless of where it comes from, plays a part. Nike isn’t going to cover every NIL athlete at UO. This system will shake itself out in a couple of years, as the companies/donors will get an idea of how smart their monies are spent. This is a system in flux. It will figure itself out.
betty white
Two Star Recruit

Post by betty white »

He still hasn’t said “No”. Maybe it’s assumed? I don’t know. After Chip secretly leaving in the middle of the night like my last girlfriend, and Willie answering a question with a question (why wouldn’t I still be your coach??), I’m a little gun shy.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Willie was and is dishonest. He spoke only in cliches and with sarcasm. Mario is the opposite. He is sincere, hard working and a family man. I dont see him leaving, BUT if he did, i am certain he would give oregon EVERY opportunity to keep him.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

betty white wrote:He still hasn’t said “No”. Maybe it’s assumed? I don’t know. After Chip secretly leaving in the middle of the night like my last girlfriend, and Willie answering a question with a question (why wouldn’t I still be your coach??), I’m a little gun shy.
As others have said, these are opportunities for CMC to get a raise so there's an incentive to not shut the door completely. If USC were smart, they should do what Texas A&M did and just unload the brinks trucks - just don't do it on CMC lol.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

That’s a bug truck to be fair. 19m in buyouts before you even back the truck up for your big time hire….. (10m for helton/ 9m for
CMC)

I dont think even the mighty Troy has that big of a truck.