Thompson

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Thompson

Post by Quietduck »

With our starter out for the uncertain future what are people's views of Thompson?
ducksrock
Senior

Re: Thompson

Post by ducksrock »

He needs some work and experience, but seems quite capable...
Last edited by ducksrock on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Long term? Think he can be a special QB for us. Great mechanics, quick release, makes quick decisions, absolute winner.

Short term, he's got some things to work on in terms of making stupid high school throws, which is why AB plays over him.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Too early to say
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

He's got all the tools to be special but he needs time.

We'll likely see him get some more run against Arizona and the state of the P12 is such that he has to prepare from here on out as if he's going to be the Starter.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I thought he looked great!! I still think its important for him to learn from Brown. However I must say every thing became really easy when he was out there. It reminds me a little of Mariota the way things go so smoothly for Thompson.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I didn't get to watch the game and am looking for a replay. Could folks elaborate a bit more on Thompson's performance? I was vocal that I liked Jaxson Dart better than Thompson as a recruit, and he just had an incredible debut for USC. Did Thompson look like the future?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I didn't get to watch the game and am looking for a replay. Could folks elaborate a bit more on Thompson's performance? I was vocal that I liked Jaxson Dart better than Thompson as a recruit, and he just had an incredible debut for USC. Did Thompson look like the future?
He was solid but there wasn't anything play wise that made you go wow. He just executed the offense and got the ball out on passing downs. It helped that the OL played better in the 2nd half too.

Dart had a few better throws, but i don't know about comparing the performances due to opponent and situation.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:I didn't get to watch the game and am looking for a replay. Could folks elaborate a bit more on Thompson's performance? I was vocal that I liked Jaxson Dart better than Thompson as a recruit, and he just had an incredible debut for USC. Did Thompson look like the future?
Well, he hands the ball off well. And made a handful of throws. As someone said above, it’s too early to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Hard to draw any conclusions from yesterday. We didn’t have TT do much of anything really. He made a couple of nice plays, but handingoff 90% of the time he was in makes it hard to know. Thornton on the other hand, looks like the real deal. I don’t know who he is behind, but whoever it is might want to watch out. We haven’t had that size and speed fir a very long time.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

We got a couple closeups of his face and he looked completely calm and confident.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Thompson is promising
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Thanks. Appreciate the summaries.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

He had one throw into coverage where I remember yelling..."no don't throw that". Other than that, I thought he did great for getting thrown in there as a Freshman. As another poster stated, he looked calm and overall made good reads.

Also, Butters had a pretty ball. Very tight and on a line to the receiver. I think we have more than one good freshman sitting behind Brown. I hope we can keep them both, but that is probably a pipe dream.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

After rewatching the game, I still have the same concerns I had with him in his high school tapes. He still seems to lock in on a single receiver and doesn't make many reads. He throws a really nice ball but at this point I'm not sure if I would rather have his arm or AB's reads.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!