How far do you think we'll get into the season?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Re: How far do you think we'll get into the season?

Post by rockthief »

We do not have a QB who can throw deep passes (or accurately) and that is just weird to me. That is going to bite us down the field so to speak
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

rockthief wrote:We do not have a QB who can throw deep passes (or accurately) and that is just weird to me. That is going to bite us down the field so to speak
Deep passes down the sideline. For some reason, we haven't really seen receivers go deep down the middle. Closest thing is the J Redd reception to start the Arizona game.

For Brown, he's capable. Watch his BC highlights and deep sideline passes were one of his best capabilities, so it's strange. Seems like his long time off has affected his timing and he hasn't gotten it back yet.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
rockthief wrote:We do not have a QB who can throw deep passes (or accurately) and that is just weird to me. That is going to bite us down the field so to speak
Deep passes down the sideline. For some reason, we haven't really seen receivers go deep down the middle. Closest thing is the J Redd reception to start the Arizona game.

For Brown, he's capable. Watch his BC highlights and deep sideline passes were one of his best capabilities, so it's strange. Seems like his long time off has affected his timing and he hasn't gotten it back yet.
Has the Oline’s poor pass blocking affected him much?
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

To this day I don't know who's gonna win the South Division, I hope that Oregon wins the Pac-12 again.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

DuckzRule wrote:To this day I don't know who's gonna win the South Division, I hope that Oregon wins the Pac-12 again.
I'll be surprised if UCLA doesn't win the south.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

Has the Oline’s poor pass blocking affected him much?
Doesn't help. But I think the main issue is he's just missing. He's lofting it up, Jonathan Smith style (just chuck it up and hope for the best), rather than actually trying to put it on a guy from what I can tell.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

StevensTechU wrote:For Brown, he's capable. Watch his BC highlights and deep sideline passes were one of his best capabilities, so it's strange. Seems like his long time off has affected his timing and he hasn't gotten it back yet.
Yeah, when he first transferred to Oregon, I thought the deep ball would be one of his strengths. It is unbelievable how incredibly inept he has been. Looking at the way Shough seemingly regressed last season, combined with Brown's struggles this season, at what point do you start looking at Moorhead? His job goes beyond simply calling plays. If these quarterbacks keep showing no signs of development, he shares some of the blame.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

For some reason I'm thinking we'll just make the Rose Bowl this season and that next season is when we make the CFP, but so far we are still in contention this year.

So far I'm imagining three possible opponents in case we just make the Rose Bowl: Iowa, Penn State and Ohio State, I would prefer facing Iowa but it's definitely gonna be PSU.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:For Brown, he's capable. Watch his BC highlights and deep sideline passes were one of his best capabilities, so it's strange. Seems like his long time off has affected his timing and he hasn't gotten it back yet.
Yeah, when he first transferred to Oregon, I thought the deep ball would be one of his strengths. It is unbelievable how incredibly inept he has been. Looking at the way Shough seemingly regressed last season, combined with Brown's struggles this season, at what point do you start looking at Moorhead? His job goes beyond simply calling plays. If these quarterbacks keep showing no signs of development, he shares some of the blame.
Highlights of long balls are deceptive. There are 10,000 high school and college QBs out there that can lob a ball 50 yards or more down field. If you only show that ones that connect it creates an impression that it is a skill. A 25 yard out thrown on a line separates out 98% of them.

Brown has such an odd release, that at this late stag of his career, rebuilding it would be a high risk gamble. He is what he is.

Shough was a first year starter that worked with Morehead for just a few weeks before a 7 game season. He played behind a bad line that got worse as the year went along. I'm not sure Morehead had much of a chance to influence his development one way or the other.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I wasn't high on Brown at first either because I saw what you guys are finally seeing with his throwing right away. However he is a much better runner than I thought he was and is likely the best short yardage quarterback Oregon's ever had. if you think of him as a Masoli, Tyrell Pryor or Cam Newton type he isn't really that bad and is accurate enough. However Ty Thompson is the one with the arm talent but he is so young right now that we need Brown's experience even if he isn't the most accurate. I do also like how Brown is cautious with the ball. He knows he isn't the best thrower but he doesn't throw too many dumb throws either.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:I wasn't high on Brown at first either because I saw what you guys are finally seeing with his throwing right away. However he is a much better runner than I thought he was and is likely the best short yardage quarterback Oregon's ever had. if you think of him as a Masoli, Tyrell Pryor or Cam Newton type he isn't really that bad and is accurate enough. However Ty Thompson is the one with the arm talent but he is so young right now that we need Brown's experience even if he isn't the most accurate. I do also like how Brown is cautious with the ball. He knows he isn't the best thrower but he doesn't throw too many dumb throws either.
reminded me of this
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:I wasn't high on Brown at first either because I saw what you guys are finally seeing with his throwing right away. However he is a much better runner than I thought he was and is likely the best short yardage quarterback Oregon's ever had. if you think of him as a Masoli, Tyrell Pryor or Cam Newton type he isn't really that bad and is accurate enough. However Ty Thompson is the one with the arm talent but he is so young right now that we need Brown's experience even if he isn't the most accurate. I do also like how Brown is cautious with the ball. He knows he isn't the best thrower but he doesn't throw too many dumb throws either.
reminded me of this
I'm glad that quarterbacks keep trying to thread the needle to McKinley.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

^^^^This. He is EXACTLY Masoli. Someone posted this stat the other day on Twitter and it is amazing how identical the stats are:
2021 Brown: 57% completion percentage / 231.8 yards per game / 6.67 yards per play
2009 Masoli: 58% completion percentage / 234.6 yards per game / 6.61 yards per play

Unfortunately, that is probably not going to take us to the CFP promise land. I think we win the north, but drop a few games.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Highlights of long balls are deceptive. There are 10,000 high school and college QBs out there that can lob a ball 50 yards or more down field. If you only show that ones that connect it creates an impression that it is a skill. A 25 yard out thrown on a line separates out 98% of them.
Not just highlights, but his yards/attempt was pretty darn healthy. In his last season at BC, his Y/A was better than 3 out of 4 of Herbert's years. As much as I like BC's wide receiver Flowers, that average wasn't high because BC's receivers took short passes to the house all the time.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I remember Masoli throwing a better deep ball but sometimes being a bit robotic with shorter passes.
Willie Taggart is a dick.