Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ncduck
Senior

Re: Death to PAC 12 after dark

Post by ncduck »

duck023 wrote:
ncduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
ncduck wrote:No network in their right minds would go away from late PAC12 windows. The P12’s value proposition for networks is the ability to air relevant games in windows after the B1G and SEC are out of the way. No network that delivers a national audience wants to be forced take garbage P12 instead of PSU/Wisconsin or Florida/Texas A&M. Please understand that a conference rights deal obligates you to take a lot of games and most are not interesting match ups to a national audience.

If the new commish says no PAC12 late, then he’s not fit to negotiate a media rights deal. The conference is split between the two largest sports networks and the networks regularly have to take two conference games per week. Where do you suggest they air if not the 7pm and 10:30pm ET windows? ESPN and FOX both have obligations with other conferences that deliver big audiences for middle of the road games than many high level P12 games.

I absolutely understand the frustration, but scheduling an 0-3 Arizona team in a tv window opposite relevant teams would be a fireable offense. ESPN was absolutely correct to put the game in prime time locally.
This is thinking too small. This is more about pleasing ESPN then it is about getting a Pac 12 team into the playoffs. If the Pac 12 can't get a team into the playoffs in the next couple of years then ESPN is going to discredit them anyways and will view them as another Mountain West.
It’s literally the situation. It’s not small thinking. Look at viewership levels. The P12 is not a top tier conference in national interest. The value proposition for the conference is in the ability for networks to fill a window with a game once the higher performing events have finished. This is 100% the network perspective. The minute the conference tries to take away it’s value to the networks is the minute a network cuts the price of its offer or simply decides to pass.

Your point about ESPN discrediting the conference is the actual small thinking. ESPN pulls its punches with the P12 because it’s a rights holder. How do you think the editorial will go if/when ESPN passes on a rights extension?
"The P12 is not a top tier conference in national interest." Why do you think that is could it be all the upsets that happen at night that knock our teams out of the playoffs. Oh so you think ESPN is pulling punches when they say Atlantic 10 is better? It's funny you have Duck in your name and call yourself a Duck fan but think of the Pac 12 like an SEC fan. That tells you how bad of shape our conference is in and you think kissing up to ESPN is the solution to everything, IT ISN'T!!!!
I work in programming at FOX Sports and I’m literally telling you the actual situation. You have no idea how this business works and why a network would pay for rights. You don’t comprehend scheduling events. You hear someone disagree with your uneducated opinion, so they can’t be a fan. You should reread my comments and attempt to learn something about the topic in which you consider yourself to be an expert.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

ncduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
ncduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
ncduck wrote:No network in their right minds would go away from late PAC12 windows. The P12’s value proposition for networks is the ability to air relevant games in windows after the B1G and SEC are out of the way. No network that delivers a national audience wants to be forced take garbage P12 instead of PSU/Wisconsin or Florida/Texas A&M. Please understand that a conference rights deal obligates you to take a lot of games and most are not interesting match ups to a national audience.

If the new commish says no PAC12 late, then he’s not fit to negotiate a media rights deal. The conference is split between the two largest sports networks and the networks regularly have to take two conference games per week. Where do you suggest they air if not the 7pm and 10:30pm ET windows? ESPN and FOX both have obligations with other conferences that deliver big audiences for middle of the road games than many high level P12 games.

I absolutely understand the frustration, but scheduling an 0-3 Arizona team in a tv window opposite relevant teams would be a fireable offense. ESPN was absolutely correct to put the game in prime time locally.
This is thinking too small. This is more about pleasing ESPN then it is about getting a Pac 12 team into the playoffs. If the Pac 12 can't get a team into the playoffs in the next couple of years then ESPN is going to discredit them anyways and will view them as another Mountain West.
It’s literally the situation. It’s not small thinking. Look at viewership levels. The P12 is not a top tier conference in national interest. The value proposition for the conference is in the ability for networks to fill a window with a game once the higher performing events have finished. This is 100% the network perspective. The minute the conference tries to take away it’s value to the networks is the minute a network cuts the price of its offer or simply decides to pass.

Your point about ESPN discrediting the conference is the actual small thinking. ESPN pulls its punches with the P12 because it’s a rights holder. How do you think the editorial will go if/when ESPN passes on a rights extension?
"The P12 is not a top tier conference in national interest." Why do you think that is could it be all the upsets that happen at night that knock our teams out of the playoffs. Oh so you think ESPN is pulling punches when they say Atlantic 10 is better? It's funny you have Duck in your name and call yourself a Duck fan but think of the Pac 12 like an SEC fan. That tells you how bad of shape our conference is in and you think kissing up to ESPN is the solution to everything, IT ISN'T!!!!
I work in programming at FOX Sports and I’m literally telling you the actual situation. You have no idea how this business works and why a network would pay for rights. You don’t comprehend scheduling events. You hear someone disagree with your uneducated opinion, so they can’t be a fan. You should reread my comments and attempt to learn something about the topic in which you consider yourself to be an expert.
I don't care if business is better for you when Oregon isn't great. I'm an Oregon fan so I'll root for Oregon over businesses.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

duck023 wrote:
ncduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
ncduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:

I don't care if business is better for you when Oregon isn't great. I'm an Oregon fan so I'll root for Oregon over businesses.
Reading comprehension mate! I never said business was good when Oregon isn’t great. I said the reason we PAY the conference is for the schedule flexibility it provides us. If it goes away, so does the reason we pay. How this got turned into you thinking it makes you a bigger fan is your problem, not mine.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Thanks for the info ncduck. Gonna close this one.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13