Death to PAC 12 after dark

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Death to PAC 12 after dark

Post by Alan »

Anyone know how long the ESPN contract is? When it is over? I hope the new commish. Can change things up.
Alan
Senior

Re: Death to PAC 12 after dark

Post by Alan »

Just check the Saturday football schedule…….. 6 PAC 12 schools have a 7:30 kickoff! F…..ing ridiculous!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Just think of how dire things would be if Oregon weren't on the rise! This conference would have no quality programs with any real playoff potential in the foreseeable future.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

pezsez1 wrote:Just think of how dire things would be if Oregon weren't on the rise! This conference would have no quality programs with any real playoff potential in the foreseeable future.
Without Oregon the PAC would have had to worry about the Big12 coming for the AZ and mountain schools.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

pezsez1 wrote:Just think of how dire things would be if Oregon weren't on the rise! This conference would have no quality programs with any real playoff potential in the foreseeable future.
If Clemson and, to an extent, Oklahoma weren't top teams the same thing could be said about their conferences.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

This is why I'm happy with the Arizona game. 2 of the reasons Larry Scott was fired were on display against Arizona. The ref with the glasses and Pac 12 after dark are big reasons why the Pac 12 haven't made the playoffs more often. So I'm happy with Arizona game because Oregon won!!
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

No network in their right minds would go away from late PAC12 windows. The P12’s value proposition for networks is the ability to air relevant games in windows after the B1G and SEC are out of the way. No network that delivers a national audience wants to be forced take garbage P12 instead of PSU/Wisconsin or Florida/Texas A&M. Please understand that a conference rights deal obligates you to take a lot of games and most are not interesting match ups to a national audience.

If the new commish says no PAC12 late, then he’s not fit to negotiate a media rights deal. The conference is split between the two largest sports networks and the networks regularly have to take two conference games per week. Where do you suggest they air if not the 7pm and 10:30pm ET windows? ESPN and FOX both have obligations with other conferences that deliver big audiences for middle of the road games than many high level P12 games.

I absolutely understand the frustration, but scheduling an 0-3 Arizona team in a tv window opposite relevant teams would be a fireable offense. ESPN was absolutely correct to put the game in prime time locally.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I always find it interesting how much fans here complain about 7:30pm kicks.

The 'prime' slot for games is 4:30-5pm kicks....but those are west coast times. Bama, Georgia, Clemson etc are playing 7:30 games every other week to get the prime time slot.

LSU purposely tries to schedule as many of their home games as they can for 7:30-8pm kicks. The kickoff time is very normal overall on a national perspective.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I always find it interesting how much fans here complain about 7:30pm kicks.

The 'prime' slot for games is 4:30-5pm kicks....but those are west coast times. Bama, Georgia, Clemson etc are playing 7:30 games every other week to get the prime time slot.

LSU purposely tries to schedule as many of their home games as they can for 7:30-8pm kicks. The kickoff time is very normal overall on a national perspective.
True, and on the other side of the country, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't miss half of some east coast games because of the 9 am start times. Saturday is the day to sleep in until 10:30!!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

One of the things the new Pac-12 commish highlighted right after he started was that the Pac-12 is the only major conference in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. NCDuck's point definitely is something he will utilize.

Personally, I have much more of a problem with college football games routinely lasting 3.5-4 hours long than I do with the late kickoffs.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

StevensTechU wrote:One of the things the new Pac-12 commish highlighted right after he started was that the Pac-12 is the only major conference in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. NCDuck's point definitely is something he will utilize.

Personally, I have much more of a problem with college football games routinely lasting 3.5-4 hours long than I do with the late kickoffs.
I agree with this so much. I understand tv media deals but switching to commercials every single time the ball goes to the other team gets so frustrating.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I always find it interesting how much fans here complain about 7:30pm kicks.

It's not the same. There is a certain added pressure when you are the last team to play in the day. If fans don't mind Oregon being put behind the 8 ball with these type of games then I don't want to here them complain about sluggish performances that are wins.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

ncduck wrote:No network in their right minds would go away from late PAC12 windows. The P12’s value proposition for networks is the ability to air relevant games in windows after the B1G and SEC are out of the way. No network that delivers a national audience wants to be forced take garbage P12 instead of PSU/Wisconsin or Florida/Texas A&M. Please understand that a conference rights deal obligates you to take a lot of games and most are not interesting match ups to a national audience.

If the new commish says no PAC12 late, then he’s not fit to negotiate a media rights deal. The conference is split between the two largest sports networks and the networks regularly have to take two conference games per week. Where do you suggest they air if not the 7pm and 10:30pm ET windows? ESPN and FOX both have obligations with other conferences that deliver big audiences for middle of the road games than many high level P12 games.

I absolutely understand the frustration, but scheduling an 0-3 Arizona team in a tv window opposite relevant teams would be a fireable offense. ESPN was absolutely correct to put the game in prime time locally.
This is thinking too small. This is more about pleasing ESPN then it is about getting a Pac 12 team into the playoffs. If the Pac 12 can't get a team into the playoffs in the next couple of years then ESPN is going to discredit them anyways and will view them as another Mountain West.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

duck023 wrote:
ncduck wrote:No network in their right minds would go away from late PAC12 windows. The P12’s value proposition for networks is the ability to air relevant games in windows after the B1G and SEC are out of the way. No network that delivers a national audience wants to be forced take garbage P12 instead of PSU/Wisconsin or Florida/Texas A&M. Please understand that a conference rights deal obligates you to take a lot of games and most are not interesting match ups to a national audience.

This is thinking too small. This is more about pleasing ESPN then it is about getting a Pac 12 team into the playoffs. If the Pac 12 can't get a team into the playoffs in the next couple of years then ESPN is going to discredit them anyways and will view them as another Mountain West.
It’s literally the situation. It’s not small thinking. Look at viewership levels. The P12 is not a top tier conference in national interest. The value proposition for the conference is in the ability for networks to fill a window with a game once the higher performing events have finished. This is 100% the network perspective. The minute the conference tries to take away it’s value to the networks is the minute a network cuts the price of its offer or simply decides to pass.

Your point about ESPN discrediting the conference is the actual small thinking. ESPN pulls its punches with the P12 because it’s a rights holder. How do you think the editorial will go if/when ESPN passes on a rights extension?
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

ncduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:

It’s literally the situation. It’s not small thinking. Look at viewership levels. The P12 is not a top tier conference in national interest. The value proposition for the conference is in the ability for networks to fill a window with a game once the higher performing events have finished. This is 100% the network perspective. The minute the conference tries to take away it’s value to the networks is the minute a network cuts the price of its offer or simply decides to pass.

Your point about ESPN discrediting the conference is the actual small thinking. ESPN pulls its punches with the P12 because it’s a rights holder. How do you think the editorial will go if/when ESPN passes on a rights extension?
"The P12 is not a top tier conference in national interest." Why do you think that is could it be all the upsets that happen at night that knock our teams out of the playoffs. Oh so you think ESPN is pulling punches when they say Atlantic 10 is better? It's funny you have Duck in your name and call yourself a Duck fan but think of the Pac 12 like an SEC fan. That tells you how bad of shape our conference is in and you think kissing up to ESPN is the solution to everything, IT ISN'T!!!!