defense

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: defense

Post by duck023 »

nogerO wrote:Honest question. When the other team is third and long do you instinctually say "they've got us right where they want us now"
Everyone in my crews says the same thing and its because it's the truth. Honest answer please.
Naw, I actually thought that more with Aliotti's defenses even the really good ones. Aliotti's defenses were good at stopping the run, screen passes and were great in 3rd and short but gave up a lot of passes over the middle. This defense isn't quite as good at stopping the run as Aliotti's defenses but I do think they are a little better at stopping the pass which means 3rd and long situations. They still give up some passes over the middle and I'm sure Stanford will get some but they don't give wide open passes like they used to in those situations.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

thomas time wrote:how come it seems no matter who the d coordinater is our d isn't that great. I don't know a lot about defensive, but over the years I thought we should blitz a lot more often then we do?
We had excellent metrics under Azzinarro/Aliotti combo.

Pretty good under Avalos.

Everyone else had been bad since Charlie Waters who was the best we had.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Man, do I miss Charley!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GrantDuck wrote:
thomas time wrote:how come it seems no matter who the d coordinater is our d isn't that great. I don't know a lot about defensive, but over the years I thought we should blitz a lot more often then we do?

Yet fans berated NA and wanted him fired all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:Does anyone else buy that Thibs didn't reinjure his ankle? MC was putting a positive spin on his "load management" after the game, but it sure looked like Thibs came out of this a little worse off than how he came in.
I believe Mario 100% and I can say that with experience of a badly sprained ankle. Ankle sprains are annoying and just keep nagging for a long time. I’m hoping after the bye week KT will be as good as new. Sprains linger for what feels like forever and things like that always happen, despite KT limping it won’t lengthen his recovery time.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

lmduck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:

Yet fans berated NA and wanted him fired all the time.

NA without Azz was not nearly as good.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Azzinarro was a loss. That seems like a long time ago.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Azz was a great coach but wasn’t he a terrible recruiter? I know people complain about Joe’s recruiting but I remember Azz struggling a lot more with recruiting, is my memory wrong?
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Azz was a great coach but wasn’t he a terrible recruiter? I know people complain about Joe’s recruiting but I remember Azz struggling a lot more with recruiting, is my memory wrong?
I believe you are correct He just wanted to do his job which was D.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Can we fire Brady Hoke already????
lmduck

defense

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Azz was a great coach but wasn’t he a terrible recruiter? I know people complain about Joe’s recruiting but I remember Azz struggling a lot more with recruiting, is my memory wrong?
He simply didn't recruit. He is like Chip, they hate it.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

NA had like 2 great seasons in his time, a lot of average defenses and a few bad ones.

AZZ was a great DL coach and he's a pretty average DC with some rough starts at UCLA.

Football has changed so much in the last twenty years (According to David Shaw 'Chip Kelly advanced the sport by a decade') that we really do have to examine Defense's for the era in which they played. It was a little over a decade ago where one CFB analyst had a pre-season prognostication that the Virginia Tech Defense could be the first team in a so many years to average under 300 yards defense. (they didn't hit that mark.)

Frankly since we brought in the new staff starting with Pepsi-Cola at DC, I've thought all of our DC's have been above-average and gotten solid results on the field by and large. We need to keep getting more pass-rushers recruited and into the program but we're close to being able to start playing an Elite level and the expectations should rise.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Being number 1 in the country in turnover margin is nothing to sneeze at. I wish we got more 3 and outs and overall played better defense but we haven't given up a ton of points and turn the ball over a lot. Combine that with how many young players we have and how many players are filling in for injured players and I am actually pretty happy with the defense. I think we are in a good spot, play with discipline and we have a ton of young talent that will only get better as the season goes along. I am way more concerned about our offense than our defense.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

My biggest concern with the defense is the lack of an elite pass rusher in the future and a lack of huge quality nose tackles. We really could’ve used Foreman or JTT and Ika. Any big time NT or pass rusher recruits considering Oregon right now?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4Life wrote:My biggest concern with the defense is the lack of an elite pass rusher in the future and a lack of huge quality nose tackles. We really could’ve used Foreman or JTT and Ika. Any big time NT or pass rusher recruits considering Oregon right now?
I know it's a pipe dream but I'm hoping Foreman wants to leave USC.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!