#3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Re: #3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by EncinitasDuck »

lmduck wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:I haven't seen it discussed here, but I'm wondering how much of an impact it had not having Moorehead on the sidelines or even at the game due to some undisclosed illness. Begs the question, who was calling the plays on Saturday?
Mastro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amazes me that any play caller would put a player (in this case AB), who has consistently made the wrong read on options, in a position to make the same decision when you're 4th and 1 at the goal at such a critical moment in a game.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

"Wildly inconsistent" is probably more accurate than "consistently bad." His RPO reads won us the game in Columbus.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

EncinitasDuck wrote:I haven't seen it discussed here, but I'm wondering how much of an impact it had not having Moorehead on the sidelines or even at the game due to some undisclosed illness. Begs the question, who was calling the plays on Saturday?
I’m sure it was significant but again, this issue has persisted through multiple QBs and OCs.

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:"Wildly inconsistent" is probably more accurate than "consistently bad." His RPO reads won us the game in Columbus.
you are correct sir!
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

EncinitasDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Mastro

Amazes me that any play caller would put a player (in this case AB), who has consistently made the wrong read on options, in a position to make the same decision when you're 4th and 1 at the goal at such a critical moment in a game.
That had me shaking my head in bewilderment and crazy chagrin. It made no sense, none. He ran into the Stanford D which was right there waiting for him. Waiting. What was he thinking?
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

If Oregon is to make a move at QB, please do it now!

- We have an extra week to prepare, thanks to the bye
- Aside from Arizona, there won't be a more winnable conference game than Cal who happens to be the next opponent
- While UCLA on the road is a doozy, that game is sandwiched by Cal and Colorado at home. That would give Ty 3 games of experience heading into the stretch run of the season.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

rockthief wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Mastro

That had me shaking my head in bewilderment and crazy chagrin. It made no sense, none. He ran into the Stanford D which was right there waiting for him. Waiting. What was he thinking?
That's just it- he wasn't thinking.

Maybe some of the assistants are not as good as we thought. I have never been a huge Mastro fan and I get that him calling the game was like a very hasty decision under the circumstances but Mario is someone who prides himself on preparation.

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

lmduck wrote:
OrTDuck wrote:"Holding coaches to standards and telling them how to do their jobs are two different things."

I get that but you think Mullens thinks he needs to step in and say to Mario, "Look at your offense, it stinks, your behind the times, change it or you are gonna be out of here."

Which wouldn't be the wording, but I'd imagine that is what a head coach is gonna hear. Miami, USC, Florida State? Here comes Mario.
That's my point. Mullens is not going to
do that and thinking Everytime something goes wrong the PK and RM are going to sit Mario down and tell him how to do his job is just plain silly.

lmduck wrote:
rockthief wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Mastro

Maybe some of the assistants are not as good as we thought. I have never been a huge Mastro fan and I get that him calling the game was like a very hasty decision under the circumstances but Mario is someone who prides himself on preparation.

From what the announcers said on the broadcast it wasn't known until very late in the itweek that Moorehead wouldn't be there so preparation may have been somewhat limited. I get that, but still in the first half it seemed to me that AB made several bad reads so any play caller should have looked at that as low percentage call. Just give the ball to Verdell and let him pound it in .
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

EncinitasDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
OrTDuck wrote:"Holding coaches to standards and telling them how to do their jobs are two different things."

I get that but you think Mullens thinks he needs to step in and say to Mario, "Look at your offense, it stinks, your behind the times, change it or you are gonna be out of here."

Which wouldn't be the wording, but I'd imagine that is what a head coach is gonna hear. Miami, USC, Florida State? Here comes Mario.
do that and thinking Everytime something goes wrong the PK and RM are going to sit Mario down and tell him how to do his job is just plain silly.

lmduck wrote:
rockthief wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Mastro

From what the announcers said on the broadcast it wasn't known until very late in the itweek that Moorehead wouldn't be there so preparation may have been somewhat limited. I get that, but still in the first half it seemed to me that AB made several bad reads so any play caller should have looked at that as low percentage call. Just give the ball to Verdell and let him pound it in .
Certainly don't disagree here. There were some real headscratchers.

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

EncinitasDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

lmduck wrote:
rockthief wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Mastro

Do we even know that was intended to be a read option? The OL was blocking for an outside run, so it seems counterintuitive that there would be an option to run right into the gut. Could have been part of the reason Cristobal was upset about the decision, rather than it just being a bad read.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah it was a designed pitch and AB thought he had a hole and didn't pitch it out.

I thought AB played very consistent the first few games and made the right read a very high % of the time. Against Stanford though he was just bad all around.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

The pass play call on 2nd down late in the game was fine with me, you play to win the game. AB has to make the throw or just go to the ground if it's not there to keep the clock running. I wasn't a fan of not taking the points at the end of the half but after seeing screen shots of the play, it was an easy TD if the right read was made.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Yeah it was a designed pitch and AB thought he had a hole and didn't pitch it out.

I thought AB played very consistent the first few games and made the right read a very high % of the time. Against Stanford though he was just bad all around.
I think Cristobal would have gone bezerk if the play was a designed pitch and AB decided on his own to run straight into the line vs pitching to Verdell. I just don't think there's any way he decided on his own to not pitch on a designed pitch. Had to be an option and he made the wrong choice.

We'll likely never know for sure as I'm sure Cristobal won't directly answer a question to that effect.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

EncinitasDuck wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Yeah it was a designed pitch and AB thought he had a hole and didn't pitch it out.

I think Cristobal would have gone bezerk if the play was a designed pitch and AB decided on his own to run straight into the line vs pitching to Verdell. I just don't think there's any way he decided on his own to not pitch on a designed pitch. Had to be an option and he made the wrong choice.

We'll likely never know for sure as I'm sure Cristobal won't directly answer a question to that effect.
Did you not see Cristobal’s comments at halftime? For him that’s pretty dang bezerk, he threw Brown under the bus.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

DmoneyDuck wrote:The pass play call on 2nd down late in the game was fine with me, you play to win the game. AB has to make the throw or just go to the ground if it's not there to keep the clock running. I wasn't a fan of not taking the points at the end of the half but after seeing screen shots of the play, it was an easy TD if the right read was made.
Agreed, I don’t understand how fans can complain about Mario being too conservative but then blame him for trusting his QB to make the right play on 4th and goal and a 2nd down and long when a first down wins them the game.