#3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

#3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by greenyellow »

4-0 Oregon vs 2-2 Stanford
lmduck

Re: #3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by lmduck »

This game scares me immensely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Re-watching the Arizona game, Keith Brown is not good. Even in the plays where he managed to be in position to make a tackle, he couldn't. We're feeling the losses of Mathis/Flowe/LaDuke in the run game and need the linemen to step it up there.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

We open as 7-point favorites.

Hope our players understand how dangerous this game is and come out with juice.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:We open as 7-point favorites.

Hope our players understand how dangerous this game is and come out with juice.
Agreed. Feels closer to a 50/50 game.

The good news is we haven’t looked great the last two games so MC isn’t happy. If we lose, It won’t be because we’re unprepared but just cuz Stanford was the better team. Or at least I hope that’s the case… haha. I hate coming into games looking unprepared.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Stanford is always funny to play because there are often very few possessions against them, especially if you're behind.

However, their defense, especially against the run, has not been very good this year, as it was in their prime a few years back. UCLA, Vandy, and K-State ran all over them. USC can't run the ball, so that's sort of expected.

We've got to do a better job against Austin Jones than we did last season. Teams aren't dumb and they'll be going after DJ James and our weaker linebackers in coverage in man, and the seemingly massive holes in our zone defense in the passing game.

I do think watching them, we're the better team, but Stanford is always a tough one because of how slow the game down and it always gives them a good chance at upsets.

I think CJ has a big game and we win a close game, but our defense has GOT to be better at getting off the damn field, because while that s*** flies against Ohio State and Arizona, Stanford will grind us to dust if we play bend but don't break and don't take risks.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Re-watching the Arizona game, Keith Brown is not good. Even in the plays where he managed to be in position to make a tackle, he couldn't. We're feeling the losses of Mathis/Flowe/LaDuke in the run game and need the linemen to step it up there.
He played decent against Ohio State, but yeah, had a ROUGH game against Arizona. He's got the size and decent speed, but he REALLY seemed to be reacting very slow out there, like the game is still WAY too fast for him and he's not used to taking longer angles against D-1 players. IE, I think he can be a player for us long term, but he's not near ready right now, but we're down our top 3 dudes there, so it's him or Nate H, who is physically limited.

Time for Ken Wilson to earn that paycheck!

I've wondered why Adrian Jackson never plays in the middle. Seems like a big/fast dude that is stuck behind Funa/KT on the edge spots.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Swinson still out https://twitter.com/jamescrepea/status/ ... 62562?s=21

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote:
He played decent against Ohio State, but yeah, had a ROUGH game against Arizona. He's got the size and decent speed, but he REALLY seemed to be reacting very slow out there, like the game is still WAY too fast for him and he's not used to taking longer angles against D-1 players. IE, I think he can be a player for us long term, but he's not near ready right now, but we're down our top 3 dudes there, so it's him or Nate H, who is physically limited.

Time for Ken Wilson to earn that paycheck!
I just finished re-watching the game (https://www.twitch.tv/hatchetbeast8999/video/1159493550 - for those interested) and my quick assessment of the LB situation-

- Nate H is getting the bulk of the load alongside Sewell. Since they like bringing Sewell off the edge quite a bit, Nate is often the only linebacker playing the middle of the field. From what I've seen, his physical talent is fine. He's not getting out-run or blown off his spot more than really any other average linebacker.More often than not, he makes the right play, but when he misses, it's more mental than physical. He's choosing the wrong gap on run plays. He's vacating his position too early, allowing the QB to run for first downs. He's not all bad, but he's definitely not good. He does a decent job of trailing RBs and TEs when they leak out and avoids blocks sometimes and definitely runs hard. He's fine, but he should be a backup.
- Keith Brown is outright bad. The slightest bit of misdirection takes him completely out of the play. He reacts slowly and gets swallowed up by OL. His tackling is terrible. I didn't watch him against tOSU, but Keith reminds me of our linebacker play during the Helfrich era. Thankfully, he's in his first year rather than 3rd/4th, but Keith is a liability right now.
- Bassa got some run in the game, but not enough that I can really say much about his play. The video on twitch for the second half gets funky in the 4th quarter so I could really only watch the first 3 quarters.

On a non-linebacker note, Jamal Hill got a decent amount of playing time and really showed why Bennett Williams has passed him on the depth chart.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I am surprised that Swinson is still out. Does anyone know what his actual injury is?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Stanford has a QB who can really deal it. Haener (Fresno State) tore us up and if it wasn't for a couple of misses and drops we could very well be 3-1 right now. I certainly hope we can control their passing game. Stanford always has a big game against us it seems. VERY nervous about this game. We have to be playing well all 3 phases and Moorhead better start being a little less predictable. Come on Mario get your team ready to play!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

If KT is back and close to 100%, the passing defense is going to look a lot better

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Man, Moorhead seems so unenthusiastic. I can't tell if he doesn't like giving interviews or if he doesn't like his job. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves the program after the season.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!