#3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: #3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by lmduck »

It's highly unlikely Mullens and Knigjht
are going to sit Mario down and tell him
his offensive philosophy is not acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ADs typically don't sit the HC and OC and tell them that their offense isn't working. Mullens just isn't one of those guys as he's more a big-picture, financial guy than a micromanager.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Well a better offensive philosophy and more consistent play with superior talent brings in more views and greater chances at making the CFP and more significant money as a result, for that reason I absolutely think Mullens would sit Mario down and say something along the lines of that. I took a grad level sports marketing class and the professor was close friends with Mullens and twice he came in for the entire class, first time he talked about the athletic program and second time it was more of a sit down convo and he answered our questions. He literally said he’s aware that the athletic departments goes financially as far as the football team goes and for that reason he never plays around and isn’t afraid to hold the football coaches to the highest standards.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

"It's highly unlikely Mullens and Knigjht
his offensive philosophy is not acceptable."

Yeah, I actually read/hear a lot of suggestions Mullens should sit Mario down and talk to him about things like offensive philosophy.

No smart $800,000 a year AD is going to tell his $5,000,000 a year football head coach, who he just gave a big raise and extension to stay, what to do about his coaching.

The one instance I can think of was the rumor Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez was talking to Gary Anderson too much about his coaching, and Anderson said, "I'm out of here, give me Oregon State", and at least Alvarez was a successful former college head coach. Imagine being a successful P5 football coach and having an accountant with a degree in finance or sports management tell you how you need to coach. Yikes.

While an AD is ultimately a boss in the sense they have the power to hire and fire, at the P5 football level, I'd go further to suggest few ADs ever make that decision on their own. It's a consensus amongst any number of power brokers and stakeholders in any particular school's power structure (of which the AD is only one voice).

If Mullens woke up this morning and wanted to fire Mario, it just would not happen without a bunch of people over his head signing off. 99.9% chance. Well, maybe not 99.9% chance because we saw what happens sometimes there.
Last edited by OrTDuck on Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Well a better offensive philosophy and more consistent play with superior talent brings in more views and greater chances at making the CFP and more significant money as a result, for that reason I absolutely think Mullens would sit Mario down and say something along the lines of that. I took a grad level sports marketing class and the professor was close friends with Mullens and twice he came in for the entire class, first time he talked about the athletic program and second time it was more of a sit down convo and he answered our questions. He literally said he’s aware that the athletic departments goes financially as far as the football team goes and for that reason he never plays around and isn’t afraid to hold the football coaches to the highest standards.
Holding coaches to standards and telling them how to do their jobs are two different things.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OrTDuck wrote:"It's highly unlikely Mullens and Knigjht
his offensive philosophy is not acceptable."

Yeah, I actually read/hear a lot of suggestions Mullens should sit Mario down and talk to him about things like offensive philosophy.

No smart $800,000 a year AD is going to tell his $5,000,000 a year football head coach, who he just gave a big raise and extension to stay, what to do about his coaching.

The one instance I can think of was the rumor Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez was talking to Gary Anderson too much about his coaching, and Anderson said, "I'm out of here, give me Oregon State", and at least Alvarez was a successful former college head coach. Imagine being a successful P5 football coach and having an accountant with a degree in finance or sports management tell you how you need to coach. Yikes.

While an AD is ultimately a boss in the sense they have the power to hire and fire, at the P5 football level, I'd go further to suggest few ADs ever make that decision on their own. It's a consensus amongst any number of power brokers and stakeholders in any particular school's power structure (of which the AD is only one voice).
Phil is the only I can think of that can speak his mind like that to a HC and he has enough business acumen to know how to handle that conversation should he desire it.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

"Holding coaches to standards and telling them how to do their jobs are two different things."

I get that but you think Mullens thinks he needs to step in and say to Mario, "Look at your offense, it stinks, your behind the times, change it or you are gonna be out of here."

Which wouldn't be the wording, but I'd imagine that is what a head coach is gonna hear. Miami, USC, Florida State? Here comes Mario.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OrTDuck wrote:"Holding coaches to standards and telling them how to do their jobs are two different things."

I get that but you think Mullens thinks he needs to step in and say to Mario, "Look at your offense, it stinks, your behind the times, change it or you are gonna be out of here."

Which wouldn't be the wording, but I'd imagine that is what a head coach is gonna hear. Miami, USC, Florida State? Here comes Mario.
That's my point. Mullens is not going to
do that and thinking Everytime something goes wrong the PK and RM are going to sit Mario down and tell him how to do his job is just plain silly.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t literally mean that Mullens should actually sit Mario down, that was a figure of speech, but Mullens cares a ton about fan retention and revenue and we can complain about bandwagon fans but they matter to Mullens cause they buy duck gear and go to games when Oregon is winning more. I also don’t think Mullens would tell Mario how to improve the offense but I could see him saying something like “fans aren’t loving the offense, is there changes you can make to get fans more excited about the offense?” Mario is smart and understand Mullens thinks finances first. Also, Mario is a million times smarter than Gary Anderson; Anderson is garbage and needs people to tell him how to not suck.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

What do you say to Mario though because he is a great coach but most of his losses are from him leaving the window cracked when he could have won the game. It's like telling someone in Chess that they need to use the first possible opportunity to check mate someone. Usually people use the first possible check mate so you don't need to explain it. I was worried he was going to go for it against Ohio State that might have changed everything because Ohio States only chance was Cristobal going for it.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Let's be honest, I am pretty sure MC and all the coaches are pretty frustrated right now. I have to think at some point over the next 10 days they are gonna get in a room and try to figure this out. Maybe that leads to a QB change, I don't know but all options have to be on the table. Mario knows what's being said by fans and in the media.

I assume tomorrow Mario will have his regular Monday presser. He is very close to the vest so of course will not say anything specific but there may be some hints.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duck023 wrote:What do you say to Mario though because he is a great coach but most of his losses are from him leaving the window cracked when he could have won the game. It's like telling someone in Chess that they need to use the first possible opportunity to check mate someone. Usually people use the first possible check mate so you don't need to explain it. I was worried he was going to go for it against Ohio State that might have changed everything because Ohio States only chance was Cristobal going for it.
I know and you’re right it is tough but I think for Mullens it’s not just the loss but the lack of attention the boring and sloppy offense brings. Nobody wants to tune into to watch the Oregon offense play, that’s a sleeper. I remember the Dan Patrick show had a debate cause McLovin said that he’d rather his favorite team be exciting than win championships, he’d be ok if his teams never win championships if they always have exciting teams. I think all Oregon fans on here couldn’t disagree more which is why a lot of us prefer Mario over Chip. But Mullens is solely focused on finances so he’d rather see Chip than Mario cause Chip brings in way more viewers. I guess what I’m trying to say is I could see Mullens maybe mentioning that he’d like to see a more dynamic offense considering how much talent they have. If the team had no talent what can you do, but this team has a ton of talent on the WR group and they need to be utilized.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I know and you’re right it is tough but I think for Mullens it’s not just the loss but the lack of attention the boring and sloppy offense brings. Nobody wants to tune into to watch the Oregon offense play, that’s a sleeper. I remember the Dan Patrick show had a debate cause McLovin said that he’d rather his favorite team be exciting than win championships, he’d be ok if his teams never win championships if they always have exciting teams. I think all Oregon fans on here couldn’t disagree more which is why a lot of us prefer Mario over Chip. But Mullens is solely focused on finances so he’d rather see Chip than Mario cause Chip brings in way more viewers. I guess what I’m trying to say is I could see Mullens maybe mentioning that he’d like to see a more dynamic offense considering how much talent they have. If the team had no talent what can you do, but this team has a ton of talent on the WR group and they need to be utilized.
I had a lot of fun watching our offense when we were bullying Ohio State! ;)

I don't think our scheme is the problem. The bigger issue is we just don't have a good QB. If AB were running a quicker, Chip-style offense -- one that requires the QB to repeatedly make the right reads -- I think you'd just see us going three-and-out at breakneck speed.

I'd think the AD stands to earn the most money by Oregon making the playoffs, and Anthony Brown is still probably the smart-money pick to get us there... but man, at this point it's close, and maybe too close to justify not turning the page and starting Tye Thompson.

Scared money don't make no money.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I haven't seen it discussed here, but I'm wondering how much of an impact it had not having Moorehead on the sidelines or even at the game due to some undisclosed illness. Begs the question, who was calling the plays on Saturday?
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

EncinitasDuck wrote:I haven't seen it discussed here, but I'm wondering how much of an impact it had not having Moorehead on the sidelines or even at the game due to some undisclosed illness. Begs the question, who was calling the plays on Saturday?
Mastro