8%
Dennis Dixon
6%

Total votes: 62
Alan
Senior

Oregon’s most overrated QB in modern times

Post by Alan »

Every once in a while a past Duck player name comes up in a manner of how great he was and I just don’t see it. Talk of these players usually bring up some discussion on his skills and lack of skills. I started this poll to get thoughts on some of our past QB’s as far as your feelings of how overrated they were. A couple of our greatest QB’s won’t be in the Poll, such as Mariota, Herbert, Fouts, Harrington and Miller, their accomplishments speak for themselves and I think most of agree the coaches missed on Herbert. Feel free to pick one of the greats as overrated if you have a reason(s). So pick your top three most overrated QB’s.
greenyellow

Re: Oregon’s most overrated QB in modern times

Post by greenyellow »

I voted Dixon because besides one good year, he was pretty up-and-down every other season he played.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:I voted Dixon because besides one good year, he was pretty up-and-down every other season he played.
I felt the question was narrowed too much for only one selection, you have up to three votes if you would like that many.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I don't feel like Masoli was overrated because I never thought of him more than a middle of the road QB with some insane comeback skills and at times a dynamic play maker.

I also chose Dennis Dixon.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm going to take the low hanging fruit here and go Jeff Lockie, because there were some people that thought he should play football.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GrantDuck wrote:I'm going to take the low hanging fruit here and go Jeff Lockie, because there were some people that thought he should play football.
To be honest Lockie was one who never came to mind. While I remember he did get support here, including mine as far as give him a chance, I don’t think he was ever near good enough to be overrated…… is it possible to be so bad you can’t be overrated? Lol.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Masoli.

Dixon is a tough one because he was mediocre his first couple years. At the same time, he was three games away from having the best individual duck season of all-time.

For that reason, I can't include him as overrated even though I personally overrate him big time.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Also, I have a feeling that Herbert will end up falling in the "overrated" category if his NFL career continues its current trajectory.

His Freshman year was outstanding. So/Jr years were mediocre. Sr year was up and down, but I'd classify it as a good year. I'll probably get a ton of pushback on this one, but my $0.02.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The answer is either Justin Roper or Brian Bennett.

Both got some decent playing time, both had talent, both started games, both were hailed by fans as having tons of potential, but neither one really did. Lots of people thought Bennett was going to win the starting job over Mariota. They played some nice games at Oregon but neither went on to have their own "eras" of Oregon football.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tough question, I voted for Masoli cause it seems like a lot of people only remembered the good plays during 08 and 09. There were some bad games where the team bailed him out, and at one point in 08 he couldn’t even complete a screen pass. He was good and make big plays but he would also disappear for long periods.

Herbert is an interesting one cause he seems like one of those guys that will have a better pro career than college career, but I think there are two facets that resulted in his college career being a little disappointing. The first is Arroyo’s offense, that offense could make even the best QB look average. The second was that outside of his Sr year, he was a really busy student. He had a really hard major with some really hard classes and he had an outstanding GPA. I think that at times it’s reasonable to believe how busy he was at school made it harder to focus on football. I’m not blaming him by any means or saying that was wrong of him, just an observation.

And regarding Lockie, there were legit Team Lockie fans that wanted him to start over VA on this forum. There was some hype about him the day he committed to OR. He is to me the worst QB in OR history, so considering there was some hype he absolutely was overrated.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Also, I have a feeling that Herbert will end up falling in the "overrated" category if his NFL career continues its current trajectory.

Really?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Herbert survived in spite of one of the darkest times in modern Oregon history. The collapse of the elite Oregon program and infighting amongst coaches during the last Helf year(s). Slick Willie fiasco, Arroyo’s incompetence and Mario’s new tenure with a mountain of crap to fix in the football program while intent to beef up the lines and pound the ball. Herbert is a good dual threat QB with a outstanding arm, Ducks never found or utilized his talents.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Alan wrote:Herbert survived in spite of one of the darkest times in modern Oregon history. The collapse of the elite Oregon program and infighting amongst coaches during the last Helf year(s). Slick Willie fiasco, Arroyo’s incompetence and Mario’s new tenure with a mountain of crap to fix in the football program while intent to beef up the lines and pound the ball. Herbert is a good dual threat QB with a outstanding arm, Ducks never found or utilized his talents.
^^^^ the coaches never designed plays specific to his talent and I cannot fathom why
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'd agree Herbert was the most underutilized QB in modern times, but that's not his fault. Terrible coaching and a weaker supporting cast for the majority of his time here.

I wouldn't blame Herbert.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Masoli. We all remember him as a great runner. But the simple fact is that he stole a laptop and was caught from behind by a frat guy, so definitely overrated.

I kid, I kid.