Darron Thomas
8%
Dennis Dixon
6%

Total votes: 62
dthomas=ddixon

Re: Oregon’s most overrated QB in modern times

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

StevensTechU wrote:Masoli. We all remember him as a great runner. But the simple fact is that he stole a laptop and was caught from behind by a frat guy, so definitely overrated.

I kid, I kid.
That was always the part of that story that bothered me the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

He should have just thrown it out the window like Cam Newton
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The two most overrated Duck QB's in recent history weren't on the list: Dakota Prukop, and Braxton Burmeister. Both had a healthy level of expectations when they came in, and both were sub-par.

P.S. I can't believe people are picking Dennis Dixon. I think you guys need to watch that Michigan game again. That performance alone should preclude his name ever being mentioned in a thread like this.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:The two most overrated Duck QB's in recent history weren't on the list: Dakota Prukop, and Braxton Burmeister. Both had a healthy level of expectations when they came in, and both were sub-par.

P.S. I can't believe people are picking Dennis Dixon. I think you guys need to watch that Michigan game again. That performance alone should preclude his name ever being mentioned in a thread like this.
I thought about mentioning Prukop but he was overshadowed by Herbert and people wanted Herbert to start before he did. I’m pretty sure Helf promised him the starting spot not expecting Herbert to be as good as he was.

As for Dixon, I too am confused by people voting for him. He was going to be Oregon’s first Heisman winner before his unlucky ACL injury.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Here are the Career Passing Stats of 2 Elite 11 QBs on that Poll

40 Games 444/659 (63.9%) 5129 Yards, 38 TDs, 21 INTs 137.9 Rating
4 NFL Games for 402 Passing Yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

37 Games 613/1005 (61%) 7555 Yards, 61 TDs, 24 INTs 139.4 Rating
64 NFL Games for 4053 Passing Yards 16 TDs, 21 INTs
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:The answer is either Justin Roper or Brian Bennett.

Both got some decent playing time, both had talent, both started games, both were hailed by fans as having tons of potential, but neither one really did. Lots of people thought Bennett was going to win the starting job over Mariota. They played some nice games at Oregon but neither went on to have their own "eras" of Oregon football.
Roper had zero D1 talent. That’s why he could start again big sky school after transferring. Bennett had the arm , but lacked accuracy.
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

Dan Fouts- 37 tds and 54 Ints in 3 seasons at Oregon…….I heard he had a pretty good career after he left Oregon.

Here are some QB’s worse than anybody on that list that started for Oregon

Norval Turner(turnover)
Micheal Owens
Herb Singleton(took a 26yd sack against UW in a 66-0 loss)
Johnny Kerr
Mike Jorgensen
Kevin Lusk
Bob Brothers
Sean Salisbury
Danny O’Neil-1st 3yrs
thegb2001
Three Star Recruit

Post by thegb2001 »

Phalanx wrote:The two most overrated Duck QB's in recent history weren't on the list: Dakota Prukop, and Braxton Burmeister. Both had a healthy level of expectations when they came in, and both were sub-par.

Lolol. Who is voting Dixon?! Without his injury he was going to be our first heisman winner and probably give us a national championship in 07. Was the start to our era of amazing offense. Defense had no idea who had the ball on the read option. Belloti was just stuck on that stupid 2 qb system with lead for who knows why. Senior year just owned. No chance overrated. Lockie. Prukop. Leaf. Burmeister. Clemons. Bennett. I remember the Lockie hype. I remember the Bennett hype over dt.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Masoli is getting the same treatment he got when he was playing ha. Dude never got any credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

rockthief wrote:
Alan wrote:Herbert survived in spite of one of the darkest times in modern Oregon history. The collapse of the elite Oregon program and infighting amongst coaches during the last Helf year(s). Slick Willie fiasco, Arroyo’s incompetence and Mario’s new tenure with a mountain of crap to fix in the football program while intent to beef up the lines and pound the ball. Herbert is a good dual threat QB with a outstanding arm, Ducks never found or utilized his talents.
^^^^ the coaches never designed plays specific to his talent and I cannot fathom why
Herberts game is just better suited to the NFL. He often puts the ball in places that only his big, skilled, wide receivers can get. Simply put, he didn’t have the opportunity to make those plays in college because he didn’t have receivers who could play at that level. His junior year was his best, when he had Dillon Mitchell to throw to, the closest he got to playing in college with an NFL level target.

I’ll agree the coaches didn’t maximize him, but he was always going to be better as a pro.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Alan wrote:Herbert survived in spite of one of the darkest times in modern Oregon history. The collapse of the elite Oregon program and infighting amongst coaches during the last Helf year(s). Slick Willie fiasco, Arroyo’s incompetence and Mario’s new tenure with a mountain of crap to fix in the football program while intent to beef up the lines and pound the ball. Herbert is a good dual threat QB with a outstanding arm, Ducks never found or utilized his talents.
Not sure Arroyo wanted Herbert to run. Coaches most likely had no confidence in his back-ups. Would have love to have seen him unleashed more, like he did in the PAC-12 championship game. How can Herbert be overrated, when he had barely any offers out of HS? Underrated.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I would love to hear the justification for the five votes for Graziani as well. I'm willing to bet at least some of those votes are from people too young to even remember who he was. How can someone be overrated who nobody ever heard of until he came in as a back-up when O'Neil got injured and beat USC on the Ducks' way to the Rose Bowl? The guy is a hero in duck football history.

This poll is all messed up. There are no overrated duck quarterbacks. Until Thompson, we have never had a highly-rated QB at Oregon; it has always been under-the-radar guys who played their way in to the starting role.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Phalanx wrote:I would love to hear the justification for the five votes for Graziani as well. I'm willing to bet at least some of those votes are from people too young to even remember who he was. How can someone be overrated who nobody ever heard of until he came in as a back-up when O'Neil got injured and beat USC on the Ducks' way to the Rose Bowl? The guy is a hero in duck football history.

This poll is all messed up. There are no overrated duck quarterbacks. Until Thompson, we have never had a highly-rated QB at Oregon; it has always been under-the-radar guys who played their way in to the starting role.
Too funny. My thought as well. None of these QB’s were ever predicted to carry the Ducks far to begin with. Most weren’t even sure things to start. There wasn’t the coverage of social media at every practice like today.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Jason Fife??? HELLO?!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Is there a difference between overrated and simply not good? I don’t consider a QB who came in and played poorly or out of his league to be overrated, to me there is a difference. Lockie was out of his league I don’t think he was overrated, most knew he was not a D1 QB, he was just what we had or at least the best we had. JMO