Duck07
All-American

Re: Oregon’s most overrated QB in modern times

Post by Duck07 »

5$ wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:
5$ wrote:Jason Fife??? HELLO?!
Ya but nobody overrates him. lol.
This is from Jason Fife's entry in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Fife:
Fife played college football at the University of Oregon, backing up Joey Harrington until Harrington left for the 2002 NFL Draft and Fife became the starter. In 2002 Fife was ranked the #2 QB in the nation.
What else would you call that if it's not "overrated"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah yes, trusting Wikipedia.

Jason Fife was not the #2 QB recruit in the nation in 2002 because he graduated HS in 1999.
He was a RS Freshman under Harrington in 2000, played in 2 games in 2001 before taking over a Starter for 2002 and 2003.
247 has a post-facto recruiting profile for him where he is ranked 0 stars.
https://247sports.com/player/jason-fife-74834/

This Wiki entry likely comes from a LA times article which stated that mid-way through the 2002 season Fife was #2 in the nation in passing efficiency.
The 6-foot-4, 219-pound Fife is ranked second in the nation in passing efficiency and has earned praise for his steady play from Coach Mike Bellotti, who says it’s difficult to compare Fife with Harrington
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Here is Fife before his first start in his own words.
Yes, those are big prints Harrington left behind - having led the Ducks to a No. 2 national ranking last year, back-to-back Pacific-10 Conference championships and a 25-3 record as a starter in three years - but Fife is ready to make his own way as the Ducks' offensive leader.

"I was not highly touted," Fife said of his high school career. "I was happy to have the opportunity to come to the Pac-10 and to Oregon. I knew once I got here I'd be able to work my little tush off and hopefully do some good things for us."
BTW, Jason Fife is a practicing DDS in Eugene in case anyone needs their smile fixed.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I messed up and only voted for one person. I'd add Brown to the list if I could based on his completion percentage. He is like a fill in QB and nothing more.

Brady Leaf played in a system for which he was not suited so I give him a break.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

rockthief wrote:I messed up and only voted for one person. I'd add Brown to the list if I could based on his completion percentage. He is like a fill in QB and nothing more.

Brady Leaf played in a system for which he was not suited so I give him a break.
I think a lot of folks only voted for one instead of the three they could have. I think if everyone voted for three the picture may have looked different.

The only thing I can’t figure out is way does Adams only have one vote when everyone else has at least three votes, I see Adams as one of the most overrated.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:
The only thing I can’t figure out is way does Adams only have one vote when everyone else has at least three votes, I see Adams as one of the most overrated.
By what rationale? Mind you most have argued that it is inconceivable that Dixon, a former Elite 11 QB could be considered even though he had 3 mediocre/bad seasons before 1 amazing that was cut short by injury.

VA on other hand was not a former Elite 11 QB who was having an amazing season that was cut short by injury.

When you also compare that VA had much more hype than Prukop, I don't see how VA did anything except meet/exceed expectations when trying to grade him. Prukop by and large played like a Montana State QB who wasn't a transcendent player at the FCS level like VA was. Both Masoli and Adams are still playing in the CFL today.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:
By what rationale? Mind you most have argued that it is inconceivable that Dixon, a former Elite 11 QB could be considered even though he had 3 mediocre/bad seasons before 1 amazing that was cut short by injury.

VA on other hand was not a former Elite 11 QB who was having an amazing season that was cut short by injury.

When you also compare that VA had much more hype than Prukop, I don't see how VA did anything except meet/exceed expectations when trying to grade him. Prukop by and large played like a Montana State QB who wasn't a transcendent player at the FCS level like VA was. Both Masoli and Adams are still playing in the CFL today.
Look at the poll……. Can you say Adams was the least overrated QB on that list of former QB’s?
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Oh I would dearly like to have Adams starting on this team instead of Brown.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I'll drop a hot take here. I never found Herbert to be impressive at Oregon. After playing for 4 years here, he only had 1 big win to his name (Wisconsin Rose Bowl). Even in that game, the defense generated 4 turnovers to win the game by 1 point. Overall, nothing to write home about. We can blame his lack of amazingness here on a lot of things - Arroyo, weak WR's, rebuilding years, etc. Maybe he was restricted from running too much but he didn't seem like the guy you could count on to make plays and win games here.

I'm glad he's doing well in the NFL but I never thought I was watching a top 10 draft pick when I was watching him play here. As validation, he never had any heisman hype.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

ducks5ever wrote:I'll drop a hot take here. I never found Herbert to be impressive at Oregon. After playing for 4 years here, he only had 1 big win to his name (Wisconsin Rose Bowl). Even in that game, the defense generated 4 turnovers to win the game by 1 point. Overall, nothing to write home about. We can blame his lack of amazingness here on a lot of things - Arroyo, weak WR's, rebuilding years, etc. Maybe he was restricted from running too much but he didn't seem like the guy you could count on to make plays and win games here.

I'm glad he's doing well in the NFL but I never thought I was watching a top 10 draft pick when I was watching him play here. As validation, he never had any heisman hype.
oops scratch that. Just saw that he was already mentioned on the 1st page. I should've read the entire thread.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:

Look at the poll……. Can you say Adams was the least overrated QB on that list of former QB’s?
Absolutely. Dude was not a ranked recruit coming out of HS, balled out at EWU and came in with actual hype, not Dakota Prukop at Montana State hype and lived up to it during his one year.

He met or overperformed expectations, which is why he only has 1 vote in this poll because only 1 person thinks he was overrated.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote:I'll drop a hot take here. I never found Herbert to be impressive at Oregon. After playing for 4 years here, he only had 1 big win to his name (Wisconsin Rose Bowl). Even in that game, the defense generated 4 turnovers to win the game by 1 point. Overall, nothing to write home about. We can blame his lack of amazingness here on a lot of things - Arroyo, weak WR's, rebuilding years, etc. Maybe he was restricted from running too much but he didn't seem like the guy you could count on to make plays and win games here.

I mean if all of the drops he had turned into catches, the entire story for him is different. If you want to put the sheer volume of drops on Herbert and call it his fault, I don't know what else to say. He was pinpointing passes for 4 years and if you compare his HS tape to that of Thompson, its not even close whose tape looks better despite the vast difference in their rankings. Played for 3 coaches in 4 years doing so during the darkest period of Oregon football this millennium.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Alan wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I'm going to take the low hanging fruit here and go Jeff Lockie, because there were some people that thought he should play football.
To be honest Lockie was one who never came to mind. While I remember he did get support here, including mine as far as give him a chance, I don’t think he was ever near good enough to be overrated…… is it possible to be so bad you can’t be overrated? Lol.
Whether it was Allie or Lockie I just wanted one of them to be named the starter. I don't like the 2 qb thing.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:

Absolutely. Dude was not a ranked recruit coming out of HS, balled out at EWU and came in with actual hype, not Dakota Prukop at Montana State hype and lived up to it during his one year.

He met or overperformed expectations, which is why he only has 1 vote in this poll because only 1 person thinks he was overrated.
We will have just disagree
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote: We will have just disagree
Sure but you could at least share your rationale for why you feel he's overrated beyond saying he's overrated or to check the poll when you are apparently the only one who voted for him.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote: We will have just disagree
Sure but you could at least share your rationale for why you feel he's overrated beyond saying he's overrated or to check the poll when you are apparently the only one who voted for him.
The poll clearly agrees with your assessment of Adams the best Quarterback in the poll to deliver what everyone expected from him.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Duck07 wrote:
5$ wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:
5$ wrote:Jason Fife??? HELLO?!
Ya but nobody overrates him. lol.
This is from Jason Fife's entry in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Fife:
Fife played college football at the University of Oregon, backing up Joey Harrington until Harrington left for the 2002 NFL Draft and Fife became the starter. In 2002 Fife was ranked the #2 QB in the nation.
What else would you call that if it's not "overrated"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah yes, trusting Wikipedia.

Jason Fife was not the #2 QB recruit in the nation in 2002 because he graduated HS in 1999.
He was a RS Freshman under Harrington in 2000, played in 2 games in 2001 before taking over a Starter for 2002 and 2003.
247 has a post-facto recruiting profile for him where he is ranked 0 stars.
https://247sports.com/player/jason-fife-74834/

This Wiki entry likely comes from a LA times article which stated that mid-way through the 2002 season Fife was #2 in the nation in passing efficiency.
The 6-foot-4, 219-pound Fife is ranked second in the nation in passing efficiency and has earned praise for his steady play from Coach Mike Bellotti, who says it’s difficult to compare Fife with Harrington
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Here is Fife before his first start in his own words.
Yes, those are big prints Harrington left behind - having led the Ducks to a No. 2 national ranking last year, back-to-back Pacific-10 Conference championships and a 25-3 record as a starter in three years - but Fife is ready to make his own way as the Ducks' offensive leader.

"I was not highly touted," Fife said of his high school career. "I was happy to have the opportunity to come to the Pac-10 and to Oregon. I knew once I got here I'd be able to work my little tush off and hopefully do some good things for us."
BTW, Jason Fife is a practicing DDS in Eugene in case anyone needs their smile fixed.
I don’t know why you’re arguing with me. I was in college when Fife played and I remember distinctly all the hype surrounding him. Fife on the cover of Sports Illustrated = overhyped/overrated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.