Pac 12 refs exposed

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Pac 12 refs exposed

Post by GDuck »

I think MC is still learning how to be a head coach. He needs to learn to bring the same intensity every week to practice and the game - whether amped up or toned down some. You see it with a lot of the coaching staff - their attitude/behavior is volatile. Need more consistency.

I’m reading a biography about Michael Jordan and the Bulls fired Doug Collins (not suggesting firing MC) after he took them to the Conference Championship for the first time in a long time, Phil Jackson replaced the volatile Collins with a more even-keeled personality and it helped the team from having the large swings in performance and provided more consistency.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GDuck wrote:I think MC is still learning how to be a head coach. He needs to learn to bring the same intensity every week to practice and the game - whether amped up or toned down some. You see it with a lot of the coaching staff - their attitude/behavior is volatile. Need more consistency.

I’m reading a biography about Michael Jordan and the Bulls fired Doug Collins (not suggesting firing MC) after he took them to the Conference Championship for the first time in a long time, Phil Jackson replaced the volatile Collins with a more even-keeled personality and it helped the team from having the large swings in performance and provided more consistency.
That’s a very interesting thought and makes sense to me. I too like MC and it’s clear the players like him but he definitely can lose his cool at random times. It feels like the ducks can be very tense at times, especially on offense, leading to the sloppy mistake filled play. Makes me wonder if MC temperament has anything to do with it like you’re suggesting. I think the biggest example of the offense being tense was against WSU in 2018, super loud environment but the offense literally didn’t know how to play football the first half, and the team was really bad overall. Remember Troy Dye bawling on the sideline right before halftime for missing a tackle? That was…..weird. You may be onto something and I’m with you when I’m saying don’t fire MC, but maybe the team could benefit if he was able to control his temperament a little more, and that’s a very interesting comparison to Collins.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
GDuck wrote:I think MC is still learning how to be a head coach. He needs to learn to bring the same intensity every week to practice and the game - whether amped up or toned down some. You see it with a lot of the coaching staff - their attitude/behavior is volatile. Need more consistency.

That’s a very interesting thought and makes sense to me. I too like MC and it’s clear the players like him but he definitely can lose his cool at random times. It feels like the ducks can be very tense at times, especially on offense, leading to the sloppy mistake filled play. Makes me wonder if MC temperament has anything to do with it like you’re suggesting. I think the biggest example of the offense being tense was against WSU in 2018, super loud environment but the offense literally didn’t know how to play football the first half, and the team was really bad overall. Remember Troy Dye bawling on the sideline right before halftime for missing a tackle? That was…..weird. You may be onto something and I’m with you when I’m saying don’t fire MC, but maybe the team could benefit if he was able to control his temperament a little more, and that’s a very interesting comparison to Collins.
This in essence is why I didn't like him chewing our Hutson at the end of the half against Arizona because in a close game, Mario looked like he had ZERO composure and the team looked like it lacked direction and leadership. Sure we won, but I didn't see someone who was full of confidence in the moment and Hutson also dropped a pass later on in the 2nd half of the game. Maybe it had nothing to do with it, but I think being composed and confident is something he needs to work on as part of the in-game coaching improvements.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

This in essence is why I didn't like him chewing our Hutson at the end of the half against Arizona because in a close game, Mario looked like he had ZERO composure and the team looked like it lacked direction and leadership. Sure we won, but I didn't see someone who was full of confidence in the moment and Hutson also dropped a pass later on in the 2nd half of the game. Maybe it had nothing to do with it, but I think being composed and confident is something he needs to work on as part of the in-game coaching improvements.
I didn’t see it live due to being in a wedding but by the time I saw it I already heard Gilmore’s comments so I wanted to defend Mario, however it did feel excessive and like Mario let emotions get the better of him. It wasn’t so much the initial intensity but rather the length of the intense yelling from Mario. Hutson got the picture right away. You certainly never saw that from Chip, though I always felt at times Chip could’ve been a little tougher.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

I didn’t see it live due to being in a wedding but by the time I saw it I already heard Gilmore’s comments so I wanted to defend Mario, however it did feel excessive and like Mario let emotions get the better of him. It wasn’t so much the initial intensity but rather the length of the intense yelling from Mario. Hutson got the picture right away. You certainly never saw that from Chip, though I always felt at times Chip could’ve been a little tougher.
Chip was just as brutal behind closed doors and in some cases not just with the guys on the team but with the staff in the HDC. Not to disparage Chip because I liked him but I can tell you there were a good number of folks in the HDC who were NOT unhappy when he left. He was not easy to work with.

Remember too where Mario 'cut his teeth', at Alabama and as we have all seen many times Saban does not hold back when a guy does something he does not like. I am not condoning either one in anyway, my point is just that Mario witnessed Saban doing it all the time and well, we can't ignore the fact Saban gets results.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

I’ve not seen Saban get emotional as Cristobal and he seems more even-keeled. I don’t watch Alabama much so may miss some things.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GDuck wrote:I’ve not seen Saban get emotional as Cristobal and he seems more even-keeled. I don’t watch Alabama much so may miss some things.
Saban has had some epic meltdowns. I believe there is a video somewhere on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:
GDuck wrote:I’ve not seen Saban get emotional as Cristobal and he seems more even-keeled. I don’t watch Alabama much so may miss some things.
Saban has had some epic meltdowns. I believe there is a video somewhere on YouTube.
There are and I'd say the same thing that at times Saban can look out of control as a result of it. Him having aneurysms on the sideline doesn't mean its an effective tactic either and is still a bad leadership trait. I'm also not going to say that a guy never deserves an ass-chewing either, but that's the balance that a Coach has to find.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:
There are and I'd say the same thing that at times Saban can look out of control as a result of it. Him having aneurysms on the sideline doesn't mean its an effective tactic either and is still a bad leadership trait. I'm also not going to say that a guy never deserves an ass-chewing either, but that's the balance that a Coach has to find.
Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Effective or not is debatable, but notorious meltdowns seem to be working for Saban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

Who knows what differences if any when the camera isn’t on them. Alabama definitely plays more consistently but they also have better players in general and have a winning culture built in at the highest level. Oregon doesn’t have that and maybe the inconsistency with emotion plays a bigger factor with the Oregon team.

Who knows but I think it is a fair question to ask when the Ducks can beat an Ohio St. on the road and then get worse over the last few games. Plus losing games almost every season that good teams don’t lose. This is not just about Cristobal - many of the Duck coaches are very demonstrative on the sidelines.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UofDuck wrote:Effective or not is debatable, but notorious meltdowns seem to be working for Saban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, if I had to guess why Alabama football has been so dominant I'd go with its because Saban has meltdowns every so often.

Not of course that his team is usually stacked talent wise against his opponents and he's one of the better Defensive coaches in the country.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I remember when helfrich was coach and people bitched about how emotionless he seemed. Now a coach holds a kid accountable , for something very stupid which could have cost Oregon that game, and people complain. The kid owned what he did, got the message along with the rest of the team and moved on.

Pac 12 officials suck btw
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckfan96 wrote:I remember when helfrich was coach and people bitched about how emotionless he seemed. Now a coach holds a kid accountable , for something very stupid which could have cost Oregon that game, and people complain. The kid owned what he did, got the message along with the rest of the team and moved on.

Pac 12 officials suck btw
Sure and Hutson also had a big drop later on in the game too so did he really build his player up or simply demoralize him? The point here is about finding the balance for Mario. It also begs the question of whether his demeanor helps his team with the refs or not. I know the first couple of seasons we've been a highly penalized team. Are the refs flagging us more because Mario talks ish to them on the sidelines constantly?