Can we still make the playoffs despite the loss?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: Can we still make the playoffs despite the loss?

Post by alxtw »

Fully agree that its better for recruiting if we make the CFP, even if we lose bad, than win a Rose bowl. Top recruits want to play in the CFP every year and not having a team in the CFP since 2016 is one of the main reasons top west coast recruits are not signing with Pac12 schools.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I'll be shocked if we don't drop at least one more game this year. I am thinking we will probably lose 3 games (OSU and UCLA) by the time is all said and done.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

karlhungis wrote:I'll be shocked if we don't drop at least one more game this year. I am thinking we will probably lose 3 games (OSU and UCLA) by the time is all said and done.
I certainly hope not but won't be surprised. Utah in SLC in November won't be easy either. The only upside of the OS game is that it is at Autzen.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The title should have been, can we make the playoffs despite not having a QB.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

The Ducks have to find a way to regroup and re-establish themselves. Beating Cal soundly would be a BIG step in the right direction.

The injuries are significant, though. Losing Verdell hurts. We need another back who can run the ball effectively inside. That's not Dye's best trait.

Also, AB needs to step up and be more consistent. With all of his experience it's hard to understand some of the plays, or lack of, that he's made. I don't think Thompson or Butterfield are ready to start yet, but if we drop a couple more games due to Brown being mediocre, it may be time to give the young guys some reps.

The situation with Moorehead is a major concern. I wish there was a timetable for his return. We need all hands on deck, especially him.

I think the potential is there for the Ducks to make the playoffs, but they have to run the table now and I'm not sure they can, especially being shorthanded.

I don't think a Rose Bowl win would be a bad thing. I wouldn't want a rematch with Ohio State, but a win over a good Penn State, Iowa or Michigan team, in addition to winning at Ohio State, would look very good to recruits on our resume.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

SuperDuck wrote:The Ducks have to find a way to regroup and re-establish themselves. Beating Cal soundly would be a BIG step in the right direction.

The injuries are significant, though. Losing Verdell hurts. We need another back who can run the ball effectively inside. That's not Dye's best trait.

Also, AB needs to step up and be more consistent. With all of his experience it's hard to understand some of the plays, or lack of, that he's made. I don't think Thompson or Butterfield are ready to start yet, but if we drop a couple more games due to Brown being mediocre, it may be time to give the young guys some reps.

The situation with Moorehead is a major concern. I wish there was a timetable for his return. We need all hands on deck, especially him.

I think the potential is there for the Ducks to make the playoffs, but they have to run the table now and I'm not sure they can, especially being shorthanded.

I don't think a Rose Bowl win would be a bad thing. I wouldn't want a rematch with Ohio State, but a win over a good Penn State, Iowa or Michigan team, in addition to winning at Ohio State, would look very good to recruits on our resume.
On long posts, it's rare that I agree with everything someone says, but you've done it, sir. Agree on everything you said.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Totally agree- SuperDuck nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:The Ducks have to find a way to regroup and re-establish themselves. Beating Cal soundly would be a BIG step in the right direction.

On long posts, it's rare that I agree with everything someone says, but you've done it, sir. Agree on everything you said.
Cool!

Did I win something? :D
John 3:36
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I want to see an Oregon vs Michigan Rose Bowl, the two programs have actually never faced each other in Pasadena.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

After watching Alabama lose to Texas A&M who is a similar team to Stanford and the refs did everything they could to help Alabama I'm starting to think Oregon in pure talent still has one of the most talented teams in the country.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

The new CBS bowl projections dropped and we are still projected to face Penn State in the Rose Bowl, but some interesting matchups like Ohio State vs. Wake Forest (Peach Bowl) and Alabama vs. Texas (Sugar Bowl) have been appearing.

In the Sugar Bowl I would probably swap Texas with Oklahoma State but returning to us, I have no idea who the Big 10 representative will be in the Rose Bowl.