Can we still make the playoffs despite the loss?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Can we still make the playoffs despite the loss?

Post by DuckzRule »

I mean, the previous Pac-12 playoffs teams (2014 Oregon and 2016 Washington) made the playoffs with 1 loss, so I hope we can still have a chance to make the playoffs and get the anticipated Oregon vs Alabama game (unless both teams are smart enough to schedule a game).

But for now I'm projecting a Rose Bowl appearence.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Can we still make the playoffs despite the loss?

Post by Duck07 »

Undefeated Cincy and BYU will each have a reason to crash the party.

Mind you 4 conferences and 2 At-large are essentially fighting for 2 spots behind Alabama and Georgia with the way they're playing.
betty white
Two Star Recruit

Post by betty white »

Playoffs?? You talking about playoffs??

Honestly this team would be thrilled to make a Rose Bowl. So would I.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If we win the rest of our games, definitely.

Fans shouldn’t expect a playoff appearance though. It’s unfair IMO to expect that of this current roster. Next year is when expectations should ramp up
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I hope that next year we can go toe to toe against Georgia and become the first Pac-12 team to win a kickoff game.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

betty white wrote:Playoffs?? You talking about playoffs??

I wonder who would be our Rose Bowl opponent if we can make it, hopefully Iowa but an Ohio State rematch seems most likely.

Hopefully we bump the record to 9-2.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckzRule wrote:
betty white wrote:Playoffs?? You talking about playoffs??

I wonder who would be our Rose Bowl opponent if we can make it, hopefully Iowa but an Ohio State rematch seems most likely.

Hopefully we bump the record to 9-2.
I think whoever comes out of the East will win it and that the likely West champ in Iowa will be ranked lower than say the runnerup in the East. I think a Michigan game might be likely for the P12 champ.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It seems a little early to assume Oregon will win out. They have much better teams than Stanford on the schedule. If Oregon doesn’t improve on offense then I wouldn’t be surprised to see Oregon lose at least 1 more game.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:It seems a little early to assume Oregon will win out. They have much better teams than Stanford on the schedule. If Oregon doesn’t improve on offense then I wouldn’t be surprised to see Oregon lose at least 1 more game.
Rather than playoffs, Oregon should be more worried about 8-4 and watching the Beavers dancing on the Autzen Stadium floor, claiming the North, and heading to the CCG.

With QB troubles and no Verdell, how does this team score enough to even stay in games against UCLA and OSU? Washington is showing some signs of life (and up in Seattle putting one on the Ducks is gonna be their Super Bowl in what is looking like a disappointing season), and playing at Utah on the road at the end of the year is gonna be tough unless the team brings motivation and sharpness.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I actually think yes but the Pac 12 refs have put Oregon behind a huge 8 ball. However the playoffs or whatever bowl Oregon makes is secondary to the qb competition that is about to happen. I truly believe the coaches were just buying time because they didn't want to throw Ty Thompson to the wolves when he hadn't played any college football. However now it's half way through the season and Ty's played in a few garbage time moments.

One of two things are going to happen. Either Brown steps up and leads Oregon to a solid season or Ty Thompson gets to play. I'm more interested in that competition than where Oregon is ranked at the current moment.

Winning the Rose Bowl is awesome!!!! I also wouldn't mind if the Ducks went to the cotton bowl. However one bowl I've always wanted to see the Ducks is in the Sugar Bowl and I do think it is possible.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

duck023 wrote:I actually think yes but the Pac 12 refs have put Oregon behind a huge 8 ball. However the playoffs or whatever bowl Oregon makes is secondary to the qb competition that is about to happen. I truly believe the coaches were just buying time because they didn't want to throw Ty Thompson to the wolves when he hadn't played any college football. However now it's half way through the season and Ty's played in a few garbage time moments.

One of two things are going to happen. Either Brown steps up and leads Oregon to a solid season or Ty Thompson gets to play. I'm more interested in that competition than where Oregon is ranked at the current moment.

Winning the Rose Bowl is awesome!!!! I also wouldn't mind if the Ducks went to the cotton bowl. However one bowl I've always wanted to see the Ducks is in the Sugar Bowl and I do think it is possible.
The only way the Ducks can get to the Sugar Bowl is via the playoffs, the Sugar Bowl is pretty much the Rose Bowl's less important brother and they have conference tie-ins with the Big 12 and SEC, but seeing the Ducks in Louisiana would be cool.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

DuckzRule wrote:
duck023 wrote:I actually think yes but the Pac 12 refs have put Oregon behind a huge 8 ball. However the playoffs or whatever bowl Oregon makes is secondary to the qb competition that is about to happen. I truly believe the coaches were just buying time because they didn't want to throw Ty Thompson to the wolves when he hadn't played any college football. However now it's half way through the season and Ty's played in a few garbage time moments.

The only way the Ducks can get to the Sugar Bowl is via the playoffs, the Sugar Bowl is pretty much the Rose Bowl's less important brother and they have conference tie-ins with the Big 12 and SEC, but seeing the Ducks in Louisiana would be cool.
From what I remember the Orange Bowl is sort of the lesser Rose Bowl with an SEC vs ACC match up. Although don't get me wrong if the Duck's some how won an Orange Bowl that would be pretty cool but I think it's pretty much impossible unless its tied in with the playoffs so I didn't mention the Orange Bowl. The Sugar Bowl is usually SEC vs at large which is usually a Big 10 team but sometimes the best Group of 5 goes to the Sugar Bowl. I'm just wondering that if there was no Big 10 team or Group of 5 team that could play in the Sugar Bowl would the Pac 12 have a chance at it. If Oregon can't get to a Sugar Bowl I'd still like to avenge the 1995 Cotton Bowl loss.

It's sort of strange that Utah is the only team in the Pac 12 that has won a Sugar Bowl but I don't think they've won a Rose Bowl yet.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I'm still optimistic, the 2016 Fuskies made the playoffs despite losing a game, same with 2014 Ducks (we lost to Arizona and then got revenge)
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I think a 1-loss Oregon team would have a shot, but there are too many holes / injuries right now to run the table. I just don't see that happening.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It's definitely possible, if Oregon were to run the table. If you're going to lose, you want to lose early, which we did. If Ohio State win the B1G and the Big 12 winner has a loss, then I would think you'd wind up with 2 Southeastern Conference teams, Cincy and Oregon.

That said, we're way too injured and out of sorts. Oregon has at least one more loss on the schedule.