Can we still make the playoffs despite the loss?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Re: Can we still make the playoffs despite the loss?

Post by RanDux »

The bigger question is do we want to make the playoffs outside of improvement in certain areas, especially the QB play.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

betty white wrote:Playoffs?? You talking about playoffs??

Honestly this team would be thrilled to make a Rose Bowl. So would I.

A voice of reason. Playoffs? Ha Ha Ha. This team with all the injuries and other negative influences will be lucky to not have 3 losses. 3 loss teams, if memory serves, rarely make the playoffs.
Last edited by nogerO on Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

nogerO wrote:

A voice of reason. Playoffs? Oh my…

Not the best year to go to the playoffs to be completely honest. Right now, my guess would be that Alabama and Georgia get the 1/3 seed (in either order). I wouldn't want to face either team. Both are incredibly talented and well coached.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote:
nogerO wrote:

A voice of reason. Playoffs? Oh my…

Not the best year to go to the playoffs to be completely honest. Right now, my guess would be that Alabama and Georgia get the 1/3 seed (in either order). I wouldn't want to face either team. Both are incredibly talented and well coached.
For this team to get where it needs to go, it just needs to make it to the CFP even if they won't win it. This whole notion of being afraid is loser level mentality that is supposed to be eradicated from this team.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I would much rather win the Rose Bowl than get manhandled by Alabama (if we make it as a 4 seed). It would be a tough matchup with them or Georgia even if we were at full strength and we're far from that - probably in the post season too.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote:I would much rather win the Rose Bowl than get manhandled by Alabama (if we make it as a 4 seed). It would be a tough matchup with them or Georgia even if we were at full strength and we're far from that - probably in the post season too.
2 thoughts - A the CFP is the goal and B - its not a given that we win the Rose Bowl either.

Ergo, the goal remains to try and make the CFP.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Making the CFP is better than not. Oklahoma goes and gets stomped, yet it boosts their profile with recruits. Do you want a trophy or program momentum?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

CFP playoff appearance > Rose Bowl win every time. Also, with the way we operate, there’s a good chance we’ll magically scheme and play great because it’s a big game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

IMO, CFP is obviously the goal but more unlikely at this point, rose bowl is a great goal also and both will help with recruiting, two more losses would be disaster.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The media coverage for making the CFP is a huge recruiting boost, even if to get beat badly. Oregon is still largely considered up and coming, especially compared to Georgia and Bama.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

honestly at this point I am not even sure the Ducks win the P12 north. I hope they do but I have not seen anything other than the tOSU game as a bright spot this season.

I also think recruiting could take a hit because other coaches are going to point out that UO does not develop players and that the coaches don't know how to use the talent.

Like I said, I hope I am way off base but the indicators are not positive.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lmduck wrote:honestly at this point I am not even sure the Ducks win the P12 north. I hope they do but I have not seen anything other than the tOSU game as a bright spot this season.

I also think recruiting could take a hit because other coaches are going to point out that UO does not develop players and that the coaches don't know how to use the talent.

I completely agree, I don’t see Oregon winning out unless something drastically changes and I feel like as fans for us to expect anything to change under Mario, especially with the offense, is the true definition of insanity. This may just be what we get with Mario.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
lmduck wrote:honestly at this point I am not even sure the Ducks win the P12 north. I hope they do but I have not seen anything other than the tOSU game as a bright spot this season.

I completely agree, I don’t see Oregon winning out unless something drastically changes and I feel like as fans for us to expect anything to change under Mario, especially with the offense, is the true definition of insanity. This may just be what we get with Mario.
I'm certainly not saying things can't or won't get better. Maybe what happened on Satruday was a wake up call. Maybe Mario will have a team meeting and everyone will have a chance to really speak up. Back in the day Mike Bellotti took the team to Camp Harlow and everything was open for discussion. I think there is a pretty good leadership council on the team and I am guuessing its comprised of guys like McKinley, JJ3, Forsythe, maybe Brown etc but the bottom line is they gotta get it together and not only help the younger guys but the coaches too. This isn't a deal where you can turn the switch on and off and I know I am preaching to the choir here but that's the bottom line.

I think Mario needs to let his coaches coach and the sooner he figures that out the better.

On a seperate note, I am not a huge Mastro fan but if some of what we heard is true, that Moorehead got sick very late Friday night and now all of a sudden Mastro is calling the game, well that's tough but the other side of that coin is you gotta be prepared for everything and that is something Mario supposedly takes pride in.

Not intending for this to be a rant of any sort just some musings looking back on a very disappointing day on Saturday.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lmduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

I'm certainly not saying things can't or won't get better. Maybe what happened on Satruday was a wake up call. Maybe Mario will have a team meeting and everyone will have a chance to really speak up. Back in the day Mike Bellotti took the team to Camp Harlow and everything was open for discussion. I think there is a pretty good leadership council on the team and I am guuessing its comprised of guys like McKinley, JJ3, Forsythe, maybe Brown etc but the bottom line is they gotta get it together and not only help the younger guys but the coaches too. This isn't a deal where you can turn the switch on and off and I know I am preaching to the choir here but that's the bottom line.

I think Mario needs to let his coaches coach and the sooner he figures that out the better.

On a seperate note, I am not a huge Mastro fan but if some of what we heard is true, that Moorehead got sick very late Friday night and now all of a sudden Mastro is calling the game, well that's tough but the other side of that coin is you gotta be prepared for everything and that is something Mario supposedly takes pride in.

Not intending for this to be a rant of any sort just some musings looking back on a very disappointing day on Saturday.
I completely agree with everything you said and like you I hope the team can figure things out it’s just under Mario at this point I don’t expect them to. As long as Mario has been the coach the team plays timid, tense, and sloppy against inferior opponents, especially the offense. The best offensive showings under Mario has been in games Oregon wasn’t supposed to win, 2019 championship game vs Utah and tOSU this year. I’ve always blamed others or gave excuses from Mario but now that I’ve calmed down from the Stanford loss I’m realizing it has to be Mario.

2017 Vegas Bowl and 2018 season I just thought, new coaches, typical issues.

2019 I thought Herbert was inconsistent and Arroyo was a horrible OC, I still don’t think Arroyo is any good, but Herbert is killing it in the NFL and his Sr year he had arguably the best Oline in the nation and a solid but not amazing WR core. More than enough for him to do really well, you might even argue he had almost as much as Mariota his Heisman year (except at the RB position).

2020 I thought it was Covid and Shough

This year I was thinking it was Brown, but at this point there is one common denominator, that is Mario Cristobal. Until Mario publicly starts to take blame for how he’s coaching rather than blaming the players’ execution, I’m just going to expect the Oregon offense to play way below their potential against opponents with inferior talent no matter what the QB and OC is.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
lmduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

I completely agree with everything you said and like you I hope the team can figure things out it’s just under Mario at this point I don’t expect them to. As long as Mario has been the coach the team plays timid, tense, and sloppy against inferior opponents, especially the offense. The best offensive showings under Mario has been in games Oregon wasn’t supposed to win, 2019 championship game vs Utah and tOSU this year. I’ve always blamed others or gave excuses from Mario but now that I’ve calmed down from the Stanford loss I’m realizing it has to be Mario.

2017 Vegas Bowl and 2018 season I just thought, new coaches, typical issues.

2019 I thought Herbert was inconsistent and Arroyo was a horrible OC, I still don’t think Arroyo is any good, but Herbert is killing it in the NFL and his Sr year he had arguably the best Oline in the nation and a solid but not amazing WR core. More than enough for him to do really well, you might even argue he had almost as much as Mariota his Heisman year (except at the RB position).

2020 I thought it was Covid and Shough

This year I was thinking it was Brown, but at this point there is one common denominator, that is Mario Cristobal. Until Mario publicly starts to take blame for how he’s coaching rather than blaming the players’ execution, I’m just going to expect the Oregon offense to play way below their potential against opponents with inferior talent no matter what the QB and OC is.
Fair points but we don't know what is said behind closed doors. It would be great to be a fly on the wall in the coaches meetings but we're not. It's easy to make assumptions. I hope Saturday was a wake up call for Mario
too.