Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by greenyellow »

1-4 Cal vs 4-1 Oregon
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It’ll probably be a 1 score win for Oregon with a sloppy and uninspired offense for most of the game.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Only way it's close, IMO, is if Garbers gets out of the pocket and our depleted linebackers/nickel can't limit his rushing gains. Otherwise, I think Oregon gets back on track and wins by 3 scores.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:Only way it's close, IMO, is if Garbers gets out of the pocket and our depleted linebackers/nickel can't limit his rushing gains. Otherwise, I think Oregon gets back on track and wins by 3 scores.
I hope you’re right, and I don’t have any doubt for the defense, but as we’ve seen, against inferior opponents the offense just isn’t right. I imagine it’ll be a low scoring game, something like 20-13.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

No Verdell, right?

Here's my bold prediction: Anthony Brown will still be the starter, but Ty Thompson is going to start getting snaps in certain packages like AB did in last season's Pac-12 championship game.

I have faith in our defense, even with the injuries. The D has played good enough to win.

If MC can find a way to juice up the offense -- and making changes at QB can do that for a team -- then the Ducks win this game. I don't see that spark coming from the run game unless whoever steps into the two-deep really balls out.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

It'll be interesting to see who steps up.

Pretty much needed across the board.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Dye has been running well. Who will be his backup? The Ducks should win handily. Hopefully it is not another smh game.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I’m most interested to see what adjustments the staff makes. If we come out with the same dialed back offensive strategy because Cal isn’t very good then I’m going to have a hard time being very invested in the remainder of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
punizhr02
One Star Recruit

Post by punizhr02 »

StevensTechU wrote:Only way it's close, IMO, is if Garbers gets out of the pocket and our depleted linebackers/nickel can't limit his rushing gains. Otherwise, I think Oregon gets back on track and wins by 3 scores.
I think that depends on who Oregon starts at quarterback.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If Moorehead comes back, we'll be much better on offense. We seem to perform our best when the odds are against us and facing many obstacles, and we perform our worst when everything is going well for us. Hence, with all the key injuries and we're doomed sentiment, we should perform quite well against Cal.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

punizhr02 wrote:
I think that depends on who Oregon starts at quarterback.
Probably right. If Oregon starts someone brand new, it could be close.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I’m most interested to see what adjustments the staff makes. If we come out with the same dialed back offensive strategy because Cal isn’t very good then I’m going to have a hard time being very invested in the remainder of the season.
I really don't want to think that we intentionally go vanilla when up against inferior competition... but it's getting increasingly difficult to believe otherwise.

That's something I really miss about Chip. He was obsessed with finding and exploiting opponents' weaknesses. Why can't our current coaches do that on a week-in, week-out basis? How are players supposed to do their best to prepare each week when the coaches don't appear to do the same?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I agree Pez, how can the players buy into 1-0 if the coaches don’t?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:
I really don't want to think that we intentionally go vanilla when up against inferior competition... but it's getting increasingly difficult to believe otherwise.

That's something I really miss about Chip. He was obsessed with finding and exploiting opponents' weaknesses. Why can't our current coaches do that on a week-in, week-out basis? How are players supposed to do their best to prepare each week when the coaches don't appear to do the same?
I don’t know enough about X’s and O’s to be able to break down film and point out the differences game to game but, like you said, it becoming very difficult to think otherwise. It’s a pretty obvious pattern.

And I doubt MC and staff are consciously holding back. I would imagine they approach it from the opposite side. That their default or ideal game plan is to grind out a win by playing mistake free football; pummeling the opponent into submission through a punishing ground game and stifling defense. Opening up and taking chances being something you only do when you absolutely have to. Of course, the end result is the same. Playing conservative and not to lose is a losing brand of football.

What’s bizarre is how they’re able to recognize the need for it in “big” games but unable to see the need for it in all the other games where we struggle with inferior opponents. You would think after one game like the conference championship two years ago, where we just hammered a loaded Utah team, they would be able to see how effective that style of play is and just run with it going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I agree Pez, how can the players buy into 1-0 if the coaches don’t?
Simply put, because the plays have been on the field they just haven't been made.

Even the 2nd and 18 play on the final drive of regulation was schemed open, Stanford just called the right blitz and even then, AB almost had the chance to complete the pass for a massive gain.

Mind you, this is also why there has been frustration with AB and calls for TT to start, because AB isn't making the routine play consistently enough.