CJ out for the year

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: CJ out for the year

Post by duck023 »

GrantDuck wrote:Officially our worst injury year since 2007. Hang in there Duck fans! Don't be too hard on this team.
Everyone forgets that 2014 was a horrible year when it came to injuries. They beat Florida St with basically their second team and they didn't have enough to compete with Ohio State in that national championship. Oregon also beat a top 10 Michigan St team earlier that season just like they beat Ohio State this season and they also played Fresno St. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze when scheduling these tough out of conference schedules. Next year doesn't look much better with Georgia, BYU and Eastern Washington. Whoever is making Oregon's schedule isn't thinking about injuries and that frustrates me. You can't expect to be them to be healthy as a fan base when they play these crazy hard out of conference schedules. There is no way they are healthy next season either.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It’s not the Ohio State and Georgia non-conference games, it’s the Fresno St and BYU games that bothers me. What’s to gain by playing them? They’re tougher opponents than they usually get credit for but because they don’t get credit you risk what would look like a bad loss or a bad close game if that makes sense.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:It’s not the Ohio State and Georgia non-conference games, it’s the Fresno St and BYU games that bothers me. What’s to gain by playing them? They’re tougher opponents than they usually get credit for but because they don’t get credit you risk what would look like a bad loss or a bad close game if that makes sense.
I agree with you, I wouldn't mind test Oregon against one great team but I don't understand playing the toughest teams in the Mountain West and also Eastern Washington is way better than Stony Brook so I think Oregon could even struggle in that game.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Eh, you guys are making too big a deal out of the schedule. It's the game of football. Injuries happen all time, and I don't think the opponent matters a whole lot. Sure, maybe you play your starters a little less against lesser opponents, but we've had guys getting injured in practice left and right, as well. We've had guys like Vernon Adams suffer injuries against the Eastern Washingtons of the world. A big part of sports unfortunately is just how good your injury luck is in a given year. This year is one of those nightmarish injury years, but I think making a correlation between schedule and injuries is a bit of a stretch.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

droop10 wrote:Eh, you guys are making too big a deal out of the schedule. It's the game of football. Injuries happen all time, and I don't think the opponent matters a whole lot. Sure, maybe you play your starters a little less against lesser opponents, but we've had guys getting injured in practice left and right, as well. We've had guys like Vernon Adams suffer injuries against the Eastern Washingtons of the world. A big part of sports unfortunately is just how good your injury luck is in a given year. This year is one of those nightmarish injury years, but I think making a correlation between schedule and injuries is a bit of a stretch.
Vernon Adams played for Eastern Washington and I mentioned I didn't want to play Eastern Washington again. Nah at a certain point Oregon needs to find out what they are doing different than Alabama and the main thing is scheduling. I'd actually argue Oregon's recruiting is closer to Alabama's than their scheduling. Alabama and Clemson always have the best schedule while Oregon always has one of the worst. I'm tired basically being an insane Oregon fan that watches Oregon do the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

duck023 wrote:
droop10 wrote:Eh, you guys are making too big a deal out of the schedule. It's the game of football. Injuries happen all time, and I don't think the opponent matters a whole lot. Sure, maybe you play your starters a little less against lesser opponents, but we've had guys getting injured in practice left and right, as well. We've had guys like Vernon Adams suffer injuries against the Eastern Washingtons of the world. A big part of sports unfortunately is just how good your injury luck is in a given year. This year is one of those nightmarish injury years, but I think making a correlation between schedule and injuries is a bit of a stretch.
Vernon Adams played for Eastern Washington and I mentioned I didn't want to play Eastern Washington again. Nah at a certain point Oregon needs to find out what they are doing different than Alabama and the main thing is scheduling. I'd actually argue Oregon's recruiting is closer to Alabama's than their scheduling. Alabama and Clemson always have the best schedule while Oregon always has one of the worst. I'm tired basically being an insane Oregon fan that watches Oregon do the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.
So, now they can't play FCS schools either. Who exactly do you expect them to play in the non-conference? As much as I hate Alabama, they consistently schedule at least 1 power 5 school non-conference, certainly teams that are better than EWU. Yes, they usually have 1 or 2 patsies mixed in, and so did Oregon with Stony brook. Clemson also played Georgia in the non-conference, and has had big non-conference matchups in past seasons. What exactly is the difference in their scheduling?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
So, now they can't play FCS schools either. Who exactly do you expect them to play in the non-conference? As much as I hate Alabama, they consistently schedule at least 1 power 5 school non-conference, certainly teams that are better than EWU. Yes, they usually have 1 or 2 patsies mixed in, and so did Oregon with Stony brook. Clemson also played Georgia in the non-conference, and has had big non-conference matchups in past seasons. What exactly is the difference in their scheduling?
You’re right a lot of teams have very tough non-conference games, but then two or three other really easy games, not semi tough games. Look at Ohio St, they had Oregon, a tough game, but followed that up with Tulsa and Akron, much easier opponents than BYU and Fresno St. Georgia is another example, started the season off with Clemson, but then have UAB, Charleston Southern midway through the season, and Georgia Tech (who they have to play every year). Nobody will talk about their bad OOC games (unless they lost), they’ll only remember they beat Clemson. Same thing with Oregon, if Oregon had Arkansas St instead of Fresno St, then nobody would look at the ducks different, they’d only remember the Ohio St win and maybe we still have Justin Flowe right now.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Freak accidents can happen against any opponent. Other than those injuries, there is positive correlation between other types of injuries and factors relating to the competitiveness of opponents.

Fully agree with the thought we schedule teams that can help our sos, recruiting, image, (Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan) or cupcakes.

It feels like the last year of one of our best pass rusher in history, KT, will be wasted if we have one more loss due to our decimated roster. Moreover, Clemson and Ohio State are having an off year, so if we had a roster with the normal wear and tear of a season, we have a very good chance of making the playoffs.

Optimistically, all the injured players who would have jumped to the NFL come back to play next year. We have a better chance of winning against Georgia.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

droop10 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Saying EWU is a typical FCS school is like saying BYU is a typical no power 5 school. My answer is easy I'd rather play Southern Miss, Mercer, and New Mexico St(Alabama's non conference schedule) than EWU and BYU. Also Alabama only playing 4 road games every year is nice compared the amount of road games Oregon plays. Also Clemson's ACC schedule is much easier than Oregon's Pac 12 schedule. If Oregon traded schedules with Clemson than Oregon would have won a title by now.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
You’re right a lot of teams have very tough non-conference games, but then two or three other really easy games, not semi tough games. Look at Ohio St, they had Oregon, a tough game, but followed that up with Tulsa and Akron, much easier opponents than BYU and Fresno St. Georgia is another example, started the season off with Clemson, but then have UAB, Charleston Southern midway through the season, and Georgia Tech (who they have to play every year). Nobody will talk about their bad OOC games (unless they lost), they’ll only remember they beat Clemson. Same thing with Oregon, if Oregon had Arkansas St instead of Fresno St, then nobody would look at the ducks different, they’d only remember the Ohio St win and maybe we still have Justin Flowe right now.
The thing is non-conference scheduling is done years in advance. In 2016, Fresno St. was 1-11. They were 4-8 just 2 seasons ago. It's impossible to know that far in advance whether they'll be better than a team like Tulsa when the game actually comes around. Same with Georgia and Georgia Tech. They could have legitimately had 2 tough non-conference games this season. Keep in mind that the Pac-12 doesn't have the same luxury as SEC schools. Pac-12 has the stigma of being weak, so having 2 cupcakes on the schedule doesn't necessarily help them. Shoot, even now, there's the perception that a conference loss could be enough to keep Oregon out of the playoff. The SEC gets away with weaker scheduling, because of the perception of having a tougher conference. Although I think they get a little overhyped, you could argue that SEC schools are consistently playing more physical games than Oregon is, which kind of cancels out the difference in non-conference schedules.