Mario Cristabol
17%

Total votes: 70
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Who’s the better coach?

Post by GoDucksTroll »

whosyourwally wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:I don’t feel comfortable choosing one over the other because of the disparity of the situations they inherited.

Chip received a ready made staff full of veteran assistants, at one of the most stable programs in college football, where he got to build a cache as the OC for two years, where as OC he got to reap the benefits of Bellotti’s coaching. I don’t mean to take away from his genius, but it was also the right guy at the right time at the right place.

Cristobal took over a program that was desperate for continuity and relevance as the third head coach in under 400 days. With a staff where the DC was bitter and the OC wasn’t hired to be the play caller. With a roster that wasn’t exactly stocked with blue chips. He’s built the program back up to desirability.

In game coach: Chip.
Program builder: Mario.

We were lucky to get Chip when we did and he was lucky to land there. We were lucky to get Mario when we did and he was lucky to get the opportunity. Both have worked out for us given our needs at the time. Let’s be grateful for that.
We lost to a bad Stanford team and almost lost to a terrible Cal team at home. Cristobal should be grateful… The fan base? Let’s see how they finish the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re not grateful for being ranked top ten in the country?

Or that we won the Rose Bowl for just the fourth time in program history just three years after finishing 4-8? Or that we have two of the program’s 13 conference championships with Mario in three years, and are going for a third straight?

I’m grateful that we have a top ten (ranked, we know they’re not a top ten team in reality) team that beat Ohio State despite not having their best player. The future is bright with the talent we have, and I want to see results but I’m not complaining about the future talent.

They have inexplicably lost games under Cristobal that they should have won, including the Stanford debacle this year. That I’m very disappointed in. Bad coaching, no doubt. I’m no Pollyanna, but 3/4 losses dating back to last season have also been games where the proper ref call would have yielded a different result.

I understand being underwhelmed with some of what we’re seeing. I don’t understand not being grateful for stumbling into a guy who fixed this program.
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

Phalanx wrote:Chalk me up in the 'not a debate' column. Aside from the aforementioned successes, Chip's teams were fun to watch and we are still reaping the benefit of a generation of kids watching and wanting to become ducks, which Mario himself admits is one of the reasons he is able to recruit all over the country. Mario's brand of offense is, quite frankly, not very fun to watch, and I find myself watching less and less of the games lately. If I, as a diehard duck fan since youth, feel this way, I can imagine how the rest of the country feels.
This sums up my thoughts pretty spot on. I gave up season tickets after 17 years when the night games just became too difficult to navigate with a 5 and 2 year daughters but I never missed a snap on tv and was always nervous to go to the bathroom because I might miss something. The last 4-6 years has made me more likely to dvr the game and just watch it in the evening.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

Chip coaches players up to win. Mario coaches them down to lose. I don't see a debate either.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:I'm leaning towards Cristobal but that is based on the fact that I think this year will be a successful season and that Ty Thompson will have success with Cristobal. Chip took Oregon to a BCS bowl every year he coached but Cristobal has been in BCS bowls 2 out of 3 years. Also, the Redbox bowl year was a solid first season where they beat Washington the year after they made the playoffs. Chip was more consistent than Cristobal but Chip struggled in the huge games. TV time outs and the fact they review everything in a big game threw off Chip sometimes.
We got our butts whooped by Iowa State last year. Let's quit acting like Mario wins every big game he plays in when making the claim that Chip couldn't win any big games.
Iowa St is not a big game. Chip Kelly would dominate a team like Iowa St like he did against Kansas St. I remember you guy's comparing other wins with the Ohio State win this year. I didn't see the Kansas St Fiesta Bowl win on the list or mentioned by anyone. I'm actually the first one that mentioned a win from the Chip Kelly era because I'll admit the USC game on Halloween was a big game but I'm one of the few on the forum that remembers that game.

Listen I'm not trying to get in a back an forth whether the UCLA coach is better than the coach we currently have. I like Chip a lot and I think his consistency was always taken for granted by this fanbase. However if you want to get in this back and forth where you trash Cristobal and act like Chip never lost a game then just root for UCLA. Don't try to play both sides by saying the UCLA coach is wayyyyyy better but you are rooting for the Ducks.
Last edited by duck023 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:I'm leaning towards Cristobal but that is based on the fact that I think this year will be a successful season and that Ty Thompson will have success with Cristobal. Chip took Oregon to a BCS bowl every year he coached but Cristobal has been in BCS bowls 2 out of 3 years. Also, the Redbox bowl year was a solid first season where they beat Washington the year after they made the playoffs. Chip was more consistent than Cristobal but Chip struggled in the huge games. TV time outs and the fact they review everything in a big game threw off Chip sometimes.
We got our butts whooped by Iowa State last year. Let's quit acting like Mario wins every big game he plays in when making the claim that Chip couldn't win any big games.
Iowa St is not a big game. Chip Kelly would dominate a team like Iowa St like he did against Kansas St. I remember you guy's comparing other wins with the Ohio State win this year. I didn't see the Kansas St Fiesta Bowl win on the list or mentioned by anyone. I'm actually the first one that mentioned a win from the Chip Kelly era because I'll admit the USC game on Halloween was a big game but I'm one of the few on the forum that remembers that game.

Listen I'm not trying to get in a back an forth whether the UCLA coach is better than the coach we currently have. Just man up and say you are rooting for UCLA if you like Chip so much. Next time you tell me that Cristobal is on the hot seat I want a replacement name. Who are you going to replace him with Rich Rodriguez? Hoping to gain some of that 2007 West Virginia magic.
So which is it? Is the Fiesta Bowl a big game or not?

Also, for the sake of genuine discourse, don't change what I said and go to this childish level of nonsense. This thread is about who was the better Oregon coach not Mario on the hot-seat.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Listen I'm not trying to get in a back an forth whether the UCLA coach is better than the coach we currently have. Just man up and say you are rooting for UCLA if you like Chip so much. Next time you tell me that Cristobal is on the hot seat I want a replacement name. Who are you going to replace him with Rich Rodriguez? Hoping to gain some of that 2007 West Virginia magic.

Also, for the sake of genuine discourse, don't change what I said and go to this childish level of nonsense. This thread is about who was the better Oregon coach not Mario on the hot-seat.
Listen I'm all for trashing Cristobal if he deserves it and before the USC Pac 12 championship game last year I would have traded him for Chip in a second. However I now see the method behind the madness and Oregon is no longer a slick 2007 West Virginia type team and more of a powerful 2007 LSU type of team. I know you aren't going to root for UCLA but let me ask you this. Would you trade Cristobal for Chip right now even if it destroyed all the progress of Oregon becoming a power team?

Also I made it perfectly clear that Fiesta Bowl doesn't count as a big game. Even though they matter a lot for me nobody remembers them. A lot of Oregon fans were actually justifying Kansas State jumping ahead of Oregon because they played a tougher schedule. Then when they played and Oregon smashed Kansas State I didn't see anyone justifying them jumping Oregon because of SOS.
Last edited by duck023 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

By the way I did edit it to make it more polite. Also both threads were posted at a very similar time so lets not play dumb. The Chip vs Cristobal thread was made because the hot seat question didn't create enough hate for Cristobal.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote: Listen I'm all for trashing Cristobal if he deserves it and before the USC Pac 12 championship game last year I would have traded him for Chip in a second. However I now see the method behind the madness and Oregon is no longer a slick 2007 West Virginia type team and more of a powerful 2007 LSU type of team. I know you aren't going to root for UCLA but let me ask you this. Would you trade Cristobal for Chip right now even if it destroyed all the progress of Oregon becoming a power team?
Calls me out and then asks a loaded question. What do you mean by a power team? A national power house or a team that likes to run and control the trenches. By both measures, in their time as Oregon HC Chip did that more than Cristobal has to date.

I still believe in Cristobal as HC and Chip's time here was magical, which is why Cristobal is behind him in this ranking but still has a chance long-term to be the best HC in our history and I hope he does that. Right now though being critical, Bellotti is #2 on the list behind Chip and I'll put Mario at #3. What's funny here is that people use Bellotti to help undermine Chip's time but also ignore that Bellotti and Chip taking Oregon to such high levels, getting Uncle Phil to buy into the program is entirely what has allowed Mario to also have the recruiting success he's had too. You can't have one thing without the other.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote: Listen I'm all for trashing Cristobal if he deserves it and before the USC Pac 12 championship game last year I would have traded him for Chip in a second. However I now see the method behind the madness and Oregon is no longer a slick 2007 West Virginia type team and more of a powerful 2007 LSU type of team. I know you aren't going to root for UCLA but let me ask you this. Would you trade Cristobal for Chip right now even if it destroyed all the progress of Oregon becoming a power team?
Calls me out and then asks a loaded question. What do you mean by a power team? A national power house or a team that likes to run and control the trenches. By both measures, in their time as Oregon HC Chip did that more than Cristobal has to date.

I still believe in Cristobal as HC and Chip's time here was magical, which is why Cristobal is behind him in this ranking but still has a chance long-term to be the best HC in our history and I hope he does that. Right now though being critical, Bellotti is #2 on the list behind Chip and I'll put Mario at #3. What's funny here is that people use Bellotti to help undermine Chip's time but also ignore that Bellotti and Chip taking Oregon to such high levels, getting Uncle Phil to buy into the program is entirely what has allowed Mario to also have the recruiting success he's had too. You can't have one thing without the other.
Sometimes your snark gets to me but you seem like a good fan so I wasn't trying to call you out for being a bad fan. I'll fully admit when Oregon lost to Oregon St last year I mentioned trying to trade Cristobal for Chip because I felt Chip fits better at Oregon and Cristobal would be a great fit for UCLA. However the more I thought about it the more I felt that Mario would turn UCLA into a powerhouse and Chip wouldn't have his fast and smart players from before. If I feel Cristobal could change UCLA around I definitely think he can make Oregon the feared SEC team of the Pac 12. When I'm talking "big" teams I'm talking about average SEC and Big Ten teams I'm not talking about elite teams. The only team that is more elite than Oregon is Alabama and a lot of that is based on schedules and refs. I never bought into the fact that Oregon's smaller players couldn't play with the big boys but now that we are going into the big boy direction I'm fully bought in.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Cristobal is now 3-0 vs Chip. Just sayin’.

thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

pezsez1 wrote:Chip, and then Mike Bellotti.

Cristobal is a fantastic recruiter, and he has a Rose Bowl win, but let's see what else he does with this talent. Bellotti led the Ducks to an end-of-season No. 2 ranking and mostly sustained a high level of success for 15 years. Bellotti didn't match MC with recruiting (at all), but his staff was fantastic at evaluating and developing talent. Had some huge signature wins over big-time programs, too. Bellotti also deserves credit for being bold enough to implement the spread offense at Oregon -- not many coaches are willing to learn new tricks to give their teams competitive advantages.

Cristobal seems like he has all the resources to surpass Bellotti for that No.2 spot (and maybe Chip for No.1) but he's got some work to do.
This. 100% this.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Cristobal is now 3-0 vs Chip. Just sayin’.

I don’t know what to do with that. Is it a sign of how far Chip has fallen, a product of Chip inheriting a dud of a program, or a sign of where Mario is headed?

The thing is…. Beating tOSU this year wasn’t winning a playoff game or playing in (losing) a National Championship (to tOSU), but it felt so @&$#ing good.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

whosyourwally wrote:

I don’t know what to do with that. Is it a sign of how far Chip has fallen, a product of Chip inheriting a dud of a program, or a sign of where Mario is headed?

The thing is…. Beating tOSU this year wasn’t winning a playoff game or playing in (losing) a National Championship (to tOSU), but it felt so @&$#ing good.

It's pretty simple, you gladly say hell yes to it.

The thread is based solely on who was better in their time so far. Recognizing the special period that was the Chip Kelly era should be obvious to all. Much like Chip was able to take what Bellotti and others built before him; so has Mario taken what Chip and others built too. Even those who think fondly at the Chip era still hope/wish that Mario takes us over the hump that Chip and Helfrich couldn't.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

whosyourwally wrote:

He’s in year 5 of inheritance of a program that did this before he took over. 9-4, 10-3, 10-3,
8-5, 5-7, 4-8. Not really the dud folks like to say it was. 2 down years doesn’t take another 4-5 to recover from. It takes recruiting which UCLA hasn’t done under Chip.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Not really the dud folks like to say it was. 2 down years doesn’t take another 4-5 to recover from. It takes recruiting which UCLA hasn’t done under Chip.
I think it's a huge deal that UCLA didn't have Oregon's electric brand. The Ducks were known for their cool unis and exciting spread offense even before Chip took over, and I really think Oregon's brand + his personality were as critical to his success here as his timely "blur" schemes.

He didn't have that branding to help him out at UCLA and it's showed. Also, his own star was dimmed by a disappointing NFL stint.
Willie Taggart is a dick.