Oregon fans booing Ducks

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

justducky0
Senior

Re: Oregon fans booing Ducks

Post by justducky0 »

I would say they were booing the coaches for setting AB up for failure by keeping him in and running that ass crack of an offense
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

justducky0 wrote:I would say they were booing the coaches for setting AB up for failure by keeping him in and running that ass crack of an offense
^^^Truth.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

Been an ardent duck fan, attending games, for close to 50 years. I haven't observed much booing unless it was well merited. As to ugly behavior, this started when we got good. Expectations seems to have brought out a bad nature in some people.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

thatbpguy wrote:Been an ardent duck fan, attending games, for close to 50 years. I haven't observed much booing unless it was well merited. As to ugly behavior, this started when we got good. Expectations seems to have brought out a bad nature in some people.
I don't know about bad nature. Expectations are at an all time high with fans, they have been for a while. Nobody expects Oregon to make the NCG, or even the playoffs, every year, but the potential has been there and Oregon has fallen flat year after year. Recruiting top classes is great and all, but they mean nothing if coaches aren't willing to make adjustments and coach them up.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

This is nothing new. It got so ugly that at one point in the early 90s that the University took away part of the student section at the basketball games for a while.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

“Hey! No more booing in Autzen, I don’t want to hear that s**t!” - Mario Cristobal after UCLA game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:“Hey! No more booing in Autzen, I don’t want to hear that s**t!” - Mario Cristobal after UCLA game.
Ok who is going to get in Mario's face and tell him they have the right to Boo?? If you do you better do it in public otherwise you might just regret it once your ears stop ringing.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:“Hey! No more booing in Autzen, I don’t want to hear that s**t!” - Mario Cristobal after UCLA game.
Fix your offense then.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm glad Mario is calling out Duck fans over this. It really is such a weak look. It happened once and it doesn't need to happen again.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:I'm glad Mario is calling out Duck fans over this. It really is such a weak look. It happened once and it doesn't need to happen again.
Yeah I’ve never understood booing your own team. The whole purpose of home fans is to support and buoy up your team, and do the opposite for the opposing team. That’s what has made Autzen so great over the years, and it’s sad to see the noise not only becoming less of a positive force for the team but becoming a negative force.

The success has brought on seriously entitled new fans, and turned many existing fans into the same. I know long time fans who have quit watching the team this year… If you are bailing on a 1 loss top 10 Oregon team that’s a “you” problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:I'm glad Mario is calling out Duck fans over this. It really is such a weak look. It happened once and it doesn't need to happen again.
Yeah I’ve never understood booing your own team. The whole purpose of home fans is to support and buoy up your team, and do the opposite for the opposing team. That’s what has made Autzen so great over the years, and it’s sad to see the noise not only becoming less of a positive force for the team but becoming a negative force.

The success has brought on seriously entitled new fans, and turned many existing fans into the same. I know long time fans who have quit watching the team this year… If you are bailing on a 1 loss top 10 Oregon team that’s a “you” problem.

well said I'm old enough to have seen the first game at autzen. Lived through some
horrible teams. While we sucked the huskies were being husky fans. I hoped that
Oregon fans would never be entitled like that. Were approaching this. But the metric now
is cost of going to games. People are now paying a lot of money to attend games etc.

Our expectations are really high, success brings that on. But never boo these young
players. They are giving there all for the school. I'm proud of them. go ducks
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Mario is so friggin soft if he's worried about fans booing his crappy offense.

OF4L is correct when he says that Mario has had no problem calling other players out publicly but refuses to do so for AB. The final INT in the UCLA game they blamed Devon Williams first and then blamed themselves as AB as the QB had no responsibility for where he throws the ball.

You can also still be a fan and boo the team, especially when they were playing as god-awful as they were. When Ryan Walk says afterwards that it helped them play better, than Mario and the staff are obviously failing in some way to inspire those players and being upset at the fans is an odd flex.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:Mario is so friggin soft if he's worried about fans booing his crappy offense.

OF4L is correct when he says that Mario has had no problem calling other players out publicly but refuses to do so for AB. The final INT in the UCLA game they blamed Devon Williams first and then blamed themselves as AB as the QB had no responsibility for where he throws the ball.

You can also still be a fan and boo the team, especially when they were playing as god-awful as they were. When Ryan Walk says afterwards that it helped them play better, than Mario and the staff are obviously failing in some way to inspire those players and being upset at the fans is an odd flex.
I totally agree about this weird blame game he’s playing in order to protect AB. I think the booing is a separate issue though. Part of his motivation may still be to protect AB but the much bigger issue is how bad of a look it is for the program.

A disgruntled, booing fan base undermines the product he’s selling to recruits, parents, and the college football world at large. An über supportive small town fan base is a major part of our programs identity; AB getting booed has become a national story that totally contradicts what we are as a football program.

DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I really like Mario, and I get it, he wants to protect the players as he should. I'd also like to state that I normally am against booing your home team 99% of the time.

However, in this instance, the booing worked. I believe it was Ryan Walk or Alex Forsyth who said after the game that after hearing the boos it motivated the offense to go down and score two times in a row. Let's not forget, Oregon was down in the 4th quarter to a bottom of the barrel PAC-12 team in Cal. A loss so bad that it could have had major repercussions on the season.

I think it's fair to say that the booing, and the win that followed, saved our season to that point.

Mario doesn't have to like it, but maybe he should be looking at himself and the coaching staff as to why it came to that instead of talking to a bunch of traveling fans.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I totally agree about this weird blame game he’s playing in order to protect AB. I think the booing is a separate issue though. Part of his motivation may still be to protect AB but the much bigger issue is how bad of a look it is for the program.

A disgruntled, booing fan base undermines the product he’s selling to recruits, parents, and the college football world at large. An über supportive small town fan base is a major part of our programs identity; AB getting booed has become a national story that totally contradicts what we are as a football program.
I just don't buy this argument that those boos are somehow the cause of our program's fall (or will cause it). Mario's inability to develop a QB is a far more serious threat to the program than any booing could do.

Also, by talking about it so much rather than STFU and fix the problem that is causing it, he is the one who is making it a storyline/issue. Nobody thinks fans being crass in the stands is a good thing, but the least harmful way of voicing your displeasure at a sporting event is a generic boo so I don't know why Mario is acting like this is a hill to die on.