Thoughts and observations

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Re: Thoughts and observations

Post by jimmy12 »

pezsez1 wrote:We dominated the game beyond the first quarter. Even at the end, UCLA only got back into it because we shot ourselves with a few dumb turnovers and left our D on the field too much.

It's unfortunate we weren't able to finish with a 21-pt win and some badly needed style points. This (accurate) narrative of Oregon playing up/down to its competition won't help our standing with the playoff selection committee.
We do not need style points. We just need to win out. Teams above us play each other.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I thought that even though AB only had one downfield completion, on the free play to Williams, at least taking shots seemed to open the field up. It's hard to say definitively, though, because context matters - UCLA's pass defense is garbage. There's a reason we were throwing it almost every down.

Also with context, our offensive line played outstanding. UCLA's got a formidable front and we somehow played them better than we played Stony Brook. Maybe the shuffling helped? Maybe they were more locked in? I would argue that the two best performances by our line this year have been against tOSU and UCLA, which are easily the two best DLs that we've played. Coincidence that those games were also Brown's best games? (probably not)

Devon Williams has all the talent in the world. So does Thibs and Sewell. I can't wait to re-watch and focus on Bassa. I thought he was best served playing linebacker when we recruited him, and I think it's interesting that he's already passed Keith Brown at that spot despite limited practice. DJ James had two picks in this game, including the closer, and needs more appreciation.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Ok time for opinions.... Where would this team be at without all the injuries on both sides of the ball?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Quietduck wrote:Ok time for opinions.... Where would this team be at without all the injuries on both sides of the ball?
Undefeated and ranked #2.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
Quietduck wrote:Ok time for opinions.... Where would this team be at without all the injuries on both sides of the ball?
Agreed, but still underperforming. With Flowe Stanford doesn’t score as many points.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I don’t think Oregon plays to the level of their opponent, I think that Oregon has a ton of potential, especially on offense, and depending on the level of their opponent they play to their potential for a certain amount of time. Bad/inferior opponents, 1 - 1 1/2 Quarters, good opponents, 2 -2 1/2 quarters, great opponents, 3 - 3 1/2 quarters. I guess it’s sort of the same thing. Just funny how the team can look so bad but look so great for certain periods in the same game, mainly on offense. Just imagine how good this team could be if they put things together for four quarters every game.
You just described Oregon playing to the level of their opponent.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

JIDuck97 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I don’t think Oregon plays to the level of their opponent, I think that Oregon has a ton of potential, especially on offense, and depending on the level of their opponent they play to their potential for a certain amount of time. Bad/inferior opponents, 1 - 1 1/2 Quarters, good opponents, 2 -2 1/2 quarters, great opponents, 3 - 3 1/2 quarters. I guess it’s sort of the same thing. Just funny how the team can look so bad but look so great for certain periods in the same game, mainly on offense. Just imagine how good this team could be if they put things together for four quarters every game.
You just described Oregon playing to the level of their opponent.
When Oregon is playing to their potential they’re playing well above the level of their opponent, but the rest of the game they’re playing below. I suppose it’s the same thing just how I see it.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

pezsez1 wrote:We dominated the game beyond the first quarter. Even at the end, UCLA only got back into it because we shot ourselves with a few dumb turnovers and left our D on the field too much.

It's unfortunate we weren't able to finish with a 21-pt win and some badly needed style points. This (accurate) narrative of Oregon playing up/down to its competition won't help our standing with the playoff selection committee.
You still talking about the playoffs??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine