Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: 21

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Why on earth haven’t we seen more of him earlier??
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I've been saying all year that Dye/Verdell don't really scare anyone and that we should be giving these young guns a chance.

For once, I feel extremely validated.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Why on earth haven’t we seen more of him earlier??
Learning pass pro.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Couple highlights.

https://youtu.be/xPj937P2Rvs
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

For those saying Thompson should start over AB, no.

For those saying young guys should get more carries vs Dye/Verdell, yes.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Quietduck wrote:no broken legs...
Still to soon lol
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:For those saying Thompson should start over AB, no.

Well, Verdell won’t be getting any. If you’re saying Dye should get fewer carries than the young guys, I don’t agree. Dye is still best all around. If you’re saying the young guys need a larger share of carries, I agree.

Since we’re on the RB topic, I don’t think Benson is going to get much time, ever. He doesn’t have the extra gear the other guys do.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

wlduck wrote:

Well, Verdell won’t be getting any. If you’re saying Dye should get fewer carries than the young guys, I don’t agree. Dye is still best all around. If you’re saying the young guys need a larger share of carries, I agree.

Since we’re on the RB topic, I don’t think Benson is going to get much time, ever. He doesn’t have the extra gear the other guys do.
I meant just more than 0 carries.

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I love how one bad drive by Thompson has everyone writing him off.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote:
I love how one bad drive by Thompson has everyone writing him off.
I wrote something kinda lengthy a couple weeks back and I've quoted it below. Specifically called out* recurring problems of underthrowing targets and throwing into coverage. I agree that 3 passes doesn't make a man, but his updated stats from spring game to now are 12/24, 157 yards, 4 INT-worthy passes. I'm not saying we should jump off the train, but saying Thompson will be ready for Georgia in 2022 is an optimistic view.
StevensTechU wrote:
Ty's numbers from the Spring Game through the Arizona game are 11/21 (52%) for 152 yards. He's connected on zero deep balls (54 yarder to Dont'e Thornton was about 15 yards passed the line of scrimmage which Thornton then took the distance). He has zero interceptions but has had 3 "INT-worthy" passes (2 in the spring game, 1 against Stony Brook). We've seen him elude the pass rush but not much for designed runs or improvised rushes (statistically, he has 2 rushes for -3 yards on the season). In high school, he passed for 59% as a senior with far above average WRs (that is to say, drops were not a significant factor).

Compared to Brown, he's actually quite similar. Neither has great accuracy, as Brown (56%) tends to overthrow and Thompson underthrows receivers. We know Brown can make plays with his feet in the RPO game, but that's only when he makes the right reads (good: Fresno and tOSU; bad: Arizona and Stanford), which opens up the playbook. The verdict on Thompson in that regard is still out. An area Brown has excelled in is in taking care of the football. By my unofficial count, he's had 4 INT-worthy passes in 124 attempts. As mentioned above, 3 of Thompson's 21 passes could've/should've been picked.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yup^

Thompson is not ready. He’s not a Herbert or a Mariota who can hit the ground running from day 1. He’s gonna need more time.

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Mariota even needed a RS year.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ Mariota even needed a RS year.
It used to accepted, almost assumed, that players would take a RS year their first year in college to get up to speed. At some point in the last 10 years, expectations have changed, and I see guys being labeled busts or people disappointed when they aren't immediately ready upon coming to campus. I think there have been exceptions to the rule, where guys hit the ground running, and from that has spawned the expectation that every 4 and 5 star is ready to contribute from day 1. The star system doesn't necessarily indicate where the prospect is at this moment, but rather their future potential. However, people expect 5 stars to be immediate impact players. Here's a good article I think that explains the rating systems (I just Googled the rating systems and it was the top one to come up, I assure you I'm not scouring Coug boards!), and an example of the Rivals rating criteria below. Notice that a lot of it is about future potential, not where are they now.

https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-football ... igning-day

6.1 — 5-star/Franchise Player: considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation’s top 30-35 players overall, a potential first-team All American candidate and a player deemed to have first round NFL potential.

6.0-5.8 — 4-star/All American Candidate: considered one of the next-tier elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation’s top 300-325 prospects overall, a national All American candidate and a player deemed to have first to third round NFL potential

5.7-5.5 — 3-star/All Region Selection: considered among the region’s top prospects and generally among the nation’s top 800-850 prospects overall, a potential All-Conference candidate and a player deemed to have mid to low-end pro potential and ability to impact at the college level.

5.2-5.4 — 2-star/Low End FBS prospect: considered a mid-major prospect with limited pro potential and expected to contribute 1-2 years at a high level maximum or often as a role player.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The problem with RS guys, is you get a guy like Tennessee 5* QBs, who just hit the portal . Kids won’t wait anymore
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Didn't watch most of the game but saw that he had some carries for a couple yards (nothing to write home about). Thoughts? I heard that UW stacked the box so maybe that limited his ability to do stuff. Not going to give him any excuses but the numbers look less dazzling this game.